U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 10:40 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,224,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Many are just lazy and have very poor dietary habits and generally lack any standards in which a normal person would apply to themselves in the way of dressing, acting and generally taking care of themselves.

I see them everyday wobbling their fat asses to walmart and loading up on the most disgusting food in the world then screaming its normal to be 5'6" and weigh 350lbs.

It has nothing to do with income, just attitude.

Yes, it is true, that a majority of people who are overweight have got there because of their own eating habits (aside from those with specific medical conditions).

Still, let's not cross that line of slanderizing a group of folks (per the highlighted area in your quote above). We can put just as much blame on the food manufacturers who have done what they have to most of the food on the shelves as we can those who get addicted to eating the stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2008, 01:39 PM

5,412 posts, read 7,704,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
VERY good point, Houstoner. And also, this "official meal" was a legislative act mainly intended to reflect on the state's heritage and culture, and even be a bit entertaining. NOT what most people eat every day of their lives. Kinda like, I would imagine, the state of Maine lists "lobsters" and Maryland "crabs" or whatever in other states that have such an officially declared "dish" or "meal".

But I STILL gotta admit it makes me hungry as hell! And hurry up Sunday in the South! LOL

Sooner, my friend? You Okies did the South proud on this un!
Thanks, Brother. I know my Texas buds would be right there with me woofin' down some good 'ol southern cuisine.

Old 07-19-2008, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
thanks . yeah, there is a lot more "fried" stuff in southern food than anything. but hey, I'm not complaining!!!. Actually, I didn't know you could "fry" a pickle until I moved to GA, very interesting
We call fried pickles "pickelos" (pronounced pick-uh-loes) in Oklahoma.

Old 07-19-2008, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Its interesting the regional differences in the maps. I think the West is healthy because there are so many outdoors activities and the outdoors is a major part of the culture especially in places like Colorado, Nevada and Utah. I don't think anything really explains the South being fattest. People mention economics but thats based on income and the cost of living in many southern states is also low. There is a LOT of visible poverty in the Northeast, the Midwest and California especially in urban areas. While its regional food may be "unhealthy" (though indeed it is delicious....and I love sweet tea more than green tea to the chagrin of my Asian American family ) our nation is so connected now that people of every region eat foods of other regions. I'm in Maryland, which is only sorta kinda South and a lot of ppl love fried chicken, sweet tea, fried fish, etc. I know I like these things more than I should, but at the same time I spend a lot of time running, swimming and going to the gym.

I have a friend who lives out in Nevada and he says the women there are much more beautiful because the warm weather allows for more outdoors activities and also with hot weather ppl wear skimpier clothes and thus are more motivated to stay fit. Las Vegas is a very suburban designed and very unwalkable city but a lot of people have pools in their yards and there are a lot of fitness centers as is the case for usual suburbia. I'm surprised states like Minnesota and Wisconsin didn't rank high because I personally find myself eating more in the winter and exercising less in the winter too (no jogging outdoors in the cold).

Time magazine did a survey of individual CITIES (vs states) once and Philadelphia, Detroit, Cleveland, and Chicago ranked pretty high. I don't think Philly cheesecakes (another thing I love too much) are much healthier, and crabs, seafood and beer are integral to the culture of Baltimore. New York is famous for its pizzas and hot dogs as is Chicago.
Nah, this is flat wrong. Have you seen how many winners of Miss America have come from Oklahoma and Texas??? I'll keep the women down here and not out West, Brother. Not taking anything away from gals from other parts of the country, but the Belles are just a lot more to my likin' here in the south-central states......a Tall Drink of Water in a cotton dress.....oh boy, I'm gonna have to go take a cold shower.

List of Miss America winners by state - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-19-2008, 03:16 PM

10,167 posts, read 17,108,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerborn2008 View Post
We call fried pickles "pickelos" (pronounced pick-uh-loes) in Oklahoma.
Frickles is the name mostly used in Texas. LOL

*snaps fingers* I just thought of something. Maybe it HAS been done before and maybe not, BUT if not, I want to go on record as having first thought of it. LOL

That is, given we Southerners love of frying the damndest things, and pickling the same. What about...(drum roll please)...

Fried pickled okra?

I am truly serious! (wonder how many yankees even know what OKRA is, much less pickled! LOL ).

Old 07-19-2008, 03:37 PM

2,779 posts, read 6,683,825 times
Not to stray off topic, but I think the humidity gives people a pretty skin in the south (and some more humid northern regions). People out west always look leathery to me. I know all the rec. opps out west are wonderful, but everyone looks dried out there.

Old 07-19-2008, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Frickles is the name mostly used in Texas. LOL

*snaps fingers* I just thought of something. Maybe it HAS been done before and maybe not, BUT if not, I want to go on record as having first thought of it. LOL

That is, given we Southerners love of frying the damndest things, and pickling the same. What about...(drum roll please)...

Fried pickled okra?

I am truly serious! (wonder how many yankees even know what OKRA is, much less pickled! LOL ).
Fried Pickled Okra....maybe you could call it "Frokra." Sounds like you got something you can market and make some money on TexReb....I'm obliged that you will be sharing the proceeds with me

Yeh, my wife and I lived on the West coast for a while, and just as expected, they had never even heard of Okra. She cooked it for 'em and they were all a little scared to try it. I assured them they would be blessed...and before long my wife was fryin' up another batch because they were lickin' their fingers. We like to season our okra with Tony Chacheres (green bottle, Louisiana seasoning which is 1000x better than salt)....whooooweeeee, I'm getting hungry just thinking about it. I'll have to have the wife fry some up tomorrow after church

Old 07-19-2008, 09:19 PM

4,229 posts, read 15,405,231 times
What exactly is Okra?

Old 07-19-2008, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
What exactly is Okra?
This link Okra - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia doesn't show what it looks like fried but you can see what it looks like chopped up.

IMO there is not a better fried food out there than Okra....I would even eat it before fried chicken and that's saying something!!!

Okra is one of those culinary staples of states with southern culture. If someone doesn't know what Okra is they probably are not from the south (or they have been VERY sheltered) because it's in all the restaraunts from the Deep South all the way west to the south-central states like Texas, Arkanasas, and Oklahoma.

Old 07-19-2008, 09:36 PM

3,772 posts, read 9,545,363 times
At least the south has the best looking heavy people in the country LOL!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or