U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-19-2008, 10:08 PM
 
Location: Jersey City
6,488 posts, read 16,146,115 times
Reputation: 5632

Advertisements

I don't like stereotypes, but I did observe a funny coincidence today... I was at a McDonalds here in New Jersey, using their free WiFi, and decided to eat something. There was a banner advertising a southern style chicken sandwich. It looked simple, and the girl behind the counter said there was no mayo on it, so I decided to try it. OMG. I opened the box and it was literally dripping wet. I've never seen a greasier piece of fried mess anywhere. Furthermore, I think the bun was buttered (?). I didn't even try to fix it (mop up the grease) or eat it. If this is the idea of "southern food" that McDonalds is selling to the rest of the country, it's not helping the South's image on the obesity issue. Paula Deen doesn't help either LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-19-2008, 10:11 PM
 
Location: OKIE-Ville
5,412 posts, read 7,703,380 times
Reputation: 3054
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
I don't like stereotypes, but I did observe a funny coincidence today... I was at a McDonalds here in New Jersey, using their free WiFi, and decided to eat something. There was a banner advertising a southern style chicken sandwich. It looked simple, and the girl behind the counter said there was no mayo on it, so I decided to try it. OMG. I opened the box and it was literally dripping wet. I've never seen a greasier piece of fried mess anywhere. Furthermore, I think the bun was buttered (?). I didn't even try to fix it (mop up the grease) or eat it. If this is the idea of "southern food" that McDonalds is selling to the rest of the country, it's not helping the South's image on the obesity issue. Paula Deen doesn't help either LOL!
Mickey D's is trying to replicate the Chick-Fila chicken sandwich....which are pretty much all over the South and Southwest. The problem is that the Chick-Fila chicken sandwich can't be copied....it is that good. Man, now I'm hungry again!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2008, 10:49 PM
 
Location: SW Missouri
15,847 posts, read 30,341,628 times
Reputation: 22356
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
Top Headlines, U.S., World, Politics, Entertainment and Sports News - AOL News

Mississippi is rated the fattest state. I had no idea.

I'm guessing it's because of the high amount of fried food in the deep south?
Well, I'd say that is more because of high amount of GOOD food in the deep south. How anybody can get excited about eating some of that trendy, gourmet, lah de dah stuff is beyond me.

The folks down south wouldn't be so large if they didn't enjoy it sooooo much! LOL

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2008, 07:12 AM
 
Location: Ca2Mo2Ga2Va!
2,736 posts, read 5,949,686 times
Reputation: 1788
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerborn2008 View Post
This link Okra - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia doesn't show what it looks like fried but you can see what it looks like chopped up.

IMO there is not a better fried food out there than Okra....I would even eat it before fried chicken and that's saying something!!!

Okra is one of those culinary staples of states with southern culture. If someone doesn't know what Okra is they probably are not from the south (or they have been VERY sheltered) because it's in all the restaraunts from the Deep South all the way west to the south-central states like Texas, Arkanasas, and Oklahoma.
I'm not a big fan of okra unless it's fried, then it's delish!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2008, 07:52 AM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,626 posts, read 27,037,620 times
Reputation: 9576
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerborn2008 View Post
This link Okra - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia doesn't show what it looks like fried but you can see what it looks like chopped up.

IMO there is not a better fried food out there than Okra....I would even eat it before fried chicken and that's saying something!!!

Okra is one of those culinary staples of states with southern culture. If someone doesn't know what Okra is they probably are not from the south (or they have been VERY sheltered) because it's in all the restaraunts from the Deep South all the way west to the south-central states like Texas, Arkanasas, and Oklahoma.
And it's disgusting. And yes, I'm from Texas. I never liked that crap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2008, 11:52 AM
 
10,167 posts, read 17,107,086 times
Reputation: 5741
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerborn2008 View Post
Fried Pickled Okra....maybe you could call it "Frokra." Sounds like you got something you can market and make some money on TexReb....I'm obliged that you will be sharing the proceeds with me
My lawyer will draw up the papers shortly to send them for you sign! How about we call the company "TexSoon Frokra, Inc."

Quote:
There is not a better fried food out there than Okra....I would even eat it before fried chicken and that's saying something!!!

Okra is one of those culinary staples of states with southern culture. If someone doesn't know what Okra is they probably are not from the south (or they have been VERY sheltered) because it's in all the restaraunts from the Deep South all the way west to the south-central states like Texas, Arkanasas, and Oklahoma.
I agree with you 100% about it being the best of the best. Only thing is, when you mentioned restaurants all over the South serving it, I never much cared for that heavily battered huge type one usually gets when eating out (this same type is often found in the frozen food section).

IMHO, the real McCoy is fresh from either the garden or produce counter, sliced, lightly coated with seasoned cornmeal (NEVER battered first with milk, egg, etc, because okra has its own "sticky" LOL), then fried. Some smaller cafes will serve this true home-style okra, but it has been my experience most places just deep fry the pre-battered and breaded frozen stuff...

Quote:
my wife and I lived on the West coast for a while, and just as expected, they had never even heard of Okra. She cooked it for 'em and they were all a little scared to try it. I assured them they would be blessed...and before long my wife was fryin' up another batch because they were lickin' their fingers.
LOL I had the same experience with my ex's when we would visit their families in both Kansas and Ohio. One guy paid the compliment to me of saying "I am glad you can't find this stuff up here because I might be eating it all the time." LOL

Along those lines, this is a reason why many northerners have never heard of it. It is one of those plants tailor made for Southern climates, as it thrives in hot weather. It just doesn't grow well -- if at all -- up North.

Last edited by TexasReb; 07-20-2008 at 12:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2008, 12:24 PM
 
Location: USA
2,779 posts, read 6,683,064 times
Reputation: 1866
Default Good stuff

I must be a weirdo but I think okra is delicious. Fried, boiled with purple hull peas, pickled, I love it! I remember picking okra when I was a kid and how those plants were fuzzy and would kind of make your skin itch. Not like poison ivy, but still you would want to rinse off good after a picking. But nothin' shouts summer like okra and tomaters and purple hull peas. Oh yeah!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2008, 12:41 PM
 
10,167 posts, read 17,107,086 times
Reputation: 5741
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
I must be a weirdo but I think okra is delicious. Fried, boiled with purple hull peas, pickled, I love it! I remember picking okra when I was a kid and how those plants were fuzzy and would kind of make your skin itch. Not like poison ivy, but still you would want to rinse off good after a picking. But nothin' shouts summer like okra and tomaters and purple hull peas. Oh yeah!
You got that right! But what you say about picking it is right on the mark. It is like handling fiberglass insulation! LOL Another thing about it, is that once it starts growing, you need to check your plants every day as it grows extremely fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2008, 12:49 PM
 
Location: southern california
55,634 posts, read 74,577,828 times
Reputation: 48121
yes it is. is that what makes them so polite. i love it. what i suspected all along.
dieting makes you mean. other thing i like bout them, only ones around not apologizing 24/7. only thing negative i can say bout mississippi is the fire ants and ticks, who i suspect in reality rule the state.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 07-20-2008 at 01:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2008, 01:00 PM
 
Location: USA
2,779 posts, read 6,683,064 times
Reputation: 1866
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
You got that right! But what you say about picking it is right on the mark. It is like handling fiberglass insulation! LOL Another thing about it, is that once it starts growing, you need to check your plants every day as it grows extremely fast.
Texreb, that's the analogy I was looking for! Yes those plants do grow extremely fast. Now all this talk about Southern food and gardening make me wish I was on an acre and could raise a good garden. I loved it back in the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top