Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 04:47 PM

542 posts, read 557,270 times

Advertisements

ugh, BMI...
I'm not denying that there is a problem with obesity, especially in the
south, but why use BMI? It has soooo many issues...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 05:05 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,340,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasape View Post
That's quite a lot for just one meal. I wonder why they didn't designate those as state dishes seperately.

I have always heard that it is common in the South for people to eat at buffet-style restaurants (Golden Corral, CiCi's Pizza, Souplantation, etc). Maybe a big part of the problem lies with portion sizes.
There are lots of buffets all over the country. I don't know if I buy that one.

Old 07-18-2008, 05:21 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
yea, food is a very important part of southern culture, you often see "southern-style" this and that, the food is great there though
This is another great point, Dxi. What a lot of non-Southerners do not really understand is just HOW much a part of the culture of the South involves food. And this in itself it connects to such things as our native hospitality, the embracing of the "extended family" and even the custom of bringing a "covered dish" over to a neighbor/friend before the funeral of a loved one.

Yeah, by the standards of "food police" and "health nuts" today, some of the things we like to eat (traditional fried Southern fare) might be considered "unhealthy". And many of us (I know I have) have altered the diet quite a bit in light of certain findings.

But at the same time? There are STILL at least a few times a month where I, by gawd, want "comfort food." What I grew up on. What some in the north and far west call "soul food." To us down here though, black AND white? It is just called "down home country/Southern cookin'

I want it fried, I want it "greeezy", and I want in such an abundance -- as in "dinner-on-the-grounds' that at the end of it we all knew it was just plain, flat out, good!

Beats quiche, tofu, and endive salad any day of the week!

Old 07-18-2008, 05:30 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,597,132 times
Of course, to an addict, shooting heroin all day sure beats being sober, but it's not going to do wonders for your health.

You have to be honest with yourself: Do you want to put the effort in to consume food that is healthy but might not taste as great, or just say EFF IT, and choose flavor and "comfort" over health?

Old 07-18-2008, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
Of course, to an addict, shooting heroin all day sure beats being sober, but it's not going to do wonders for your health.

You have to be honest with yourself: Do you want to put the effort in to consume food that is healthy but might not taste as great, or just say EFF IT, and choose flavor and "comfort" over health?
ROFLMAO

It NEVER fails to crack me up, posts like this. The analogies are so ludicrous as to make one keel over from a heart attack laughing at the absurdity as to the food consumed! I am really, truly, NOT trying to be a smartass, but 'come on. Heroin addiction as the basis of comparrison??

Hey, ToughGuy? What does your diet consist of? I betcha a dollar to a chicken fried steak I can find SOMTHING wrong with it. And that will kill you deadern doornail according to the latest findings of something or nother.

Maybe you mean well...most of the "health police" do. But where do you make the connection that some can't enjoy good old down home cooking every once in a while...but yet work their butts off all day in the construction industry, or (as I do) work out with weights a couple of times a week. Or others not jog and run circles around those who live off a diet of veggie burgers?

What do you mean...be "honest with yourself"??? What are your credentials to instruct on this topic?

Ok...I grant maybe that it is a cultural difference. But generally speaking down here (whether it come to food, drink, or lifestyle) we take the attitude of, something like "let us go to hell in our own way, and we will be willing to let y'all do the same in yours!

Last edited by TexasReb; 07-18-2008 at 06:20 PM..

Old 07-18-2008, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
No need for fairy tales to enter into the equation- the south has a higher % of lazy losers.
As usual, JD, your mature and worthwhile opinions as concerns the South, precede you. Good job!

Last edited by TexasReb; 07-18-2008 at 06:13 PM..

Old 07-18-2008, 06:32 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,959,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
This is another great point, Dxi. What a lot of non-Southerners do not really understand is just HOW much a part of the culture of the South involves food. And this in itself it connects to such things as our native hospitality, the embracing of the "extended family" and even the custom of bringing a "covered dish" over to a neighbor/friend before the funeral of a loved one.

Yeah, by the standards of "food police" and "health nuts" today, some of the things we like to eat (traditional fried Southern fare) might be considered "unhealthy". And many of us (I know I have) have altered the diet quite a bit in light of certain findings.

But at the same time? There are STILL at least a few times a month where I, by gawd, want "comfort food." What I grew up on. What some in the north and far west call "soul food." To us down here though, black AND white? It is just called "down home country/Southern cookin'

I want it fried, I want it "greeezy", and I want in such an abundance -- as in "dinner-on-the-grounds' that at the end of it we all knew it was just plain, flat out, good!

Beats quiche, tofu, and endive salad any day of the week!
thanks . yeah, there is a lot more "fried" stuff in southern food than anything. but hey, I'm not complaining!!!. Actually, I didn't know you could "fry" a pickle until I moved to GA, very interesting

Old 07-18-2008, 06:54 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,021,695 times
Default Hey Texreb

I confess I do love those chocolate covered fried donuts. And I had a box of popeyes 2 piece spicy today. Ok, if I eat one ccd I'm doomed to eat another and another and another, etc. You get the picture. and I weigh 250 already. I'm only 6'1". Would like to be skinnier, but outside of working out I can't control my diet. So I eat any dang thing I want and drink any dang thing I want and let it go at that. But those donuts are pure evil. The heroin of foods. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Old 07-18-2008, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
thanks . yeah, there is a lot more "fried" stuff in southern food than anything. but hey, I'm not complaining!!!. Actually, I didn't know you could "fry" a pickle until I moved to GA, very interesting
LOL In Texas, being a bit of the "wilder country cousin" of our more genteel kinfolk in the eastern South, we also fry jalepeno peppers!

Old 07-18-2008, 07:47 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,245,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
It has to be more of a socioeconomic issue that a regional cuisine issue.
I'm not so sure of that. Where else are you going to find chain restaurants based on biscuits & gravy?
Tudor’s Biscuit World: Menu: Breakfast Platters
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.