U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 01:39 AM

41 posts, read 76,780 times

Advertisements

Which is better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 01:42 AM

3,904 posts, read 4,888,114 times
Default Sacto...

Sacramento.

Old 07-18-2008, 02:09 AM

55 posts, read 64,244 times
mos def sacramento but i still like houston because i do see a big future ahead in that great city but i choose sacramento because of closenis to san fran a city i allwaysed liked to go too.

Last edited by TYGA; 07-18-2008 at 03:12 AM..

Old 07-18-2008, 02:21 AM

15,470 posts, read 25,417,065 times
Houston is a much bigger city with more to offer than Sacramento, but you're only 90 minutes from the SF Bay Area which offers even more than Houston. Plus you're close to spectacular Lake Tahoe , the Sierra Nevada's and the rest of Northern CA. The climate and scenery of NorCal is far superior to anything you'll find in TX. Plus SoCal and all it has to offer is not too far either.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:11 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,164,246 times
Sacramento by far.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:20 AM

5,429 posts, read 13,176,307 times
Better in what way? You'll have to elaborate.

Houston is the nation's 4th largest city after Chicago... expect all the big-city amenities like world-class arts/culture/museums, restaurants, a zoo, and other attractions. The northern parts of the city are pine forest, central areas have lots of little waterways (bayous/creeks) and large oak trees, and the southeastern portion offers palm trees, boating and water recreation on the coast.

Sacramento is obviously a smaller city, but you can drive to other places.

Old 07-18-2008, 11:42 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,453,292 times
I see from another thread you'll be a college student? It's a toss-up. Positives about Sacramento are that it's in California and it's within driving distance of other great cities and recreational activities. Houston can be a great city for college kids, there's plenty to do in the city, but geographically it is more isolated. Other than Austin, San Antonio, the beaches on the coast, and maybe New Orleans, there aren't that many interesting places within driving distance. However, most of my friends who attended college here had a blast and were able to travel via plane to other cities (and did so fairly frequently).

Old 07-18-2008, 11:58 AM

9,188 posts, read 30,233,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJP View Post
Better in what way? You'll have to elaborate.

Houston is the nation's 4th largest city after Chicago... expect all the big-city amenities like world-class arts/culture/museums, restaurants, a zoo, and other attractions. The northern parts of the city are pine forest, central areas have lots of little waterways (bayous/creeks) and large oak trees, and the southeastern portion offers palm trees, boating and water recreation on the coast.

Sacramento is obviously a smaller city, but you can drive to other places.
The last part of your post is what makes Sacromento the most appealing for me (if I were to move).

Not everyone can handle Houston's humidity in the summer, or the occasional threat of hurricanes. Not to mention the (controversial) large increase in crime since Katrina. While Sacramento is smaller there's still plenty of things it has to offer, and as you say, you're not that far of a drive from some very interesting and different places, and even more varying climates.

My vote - Sacramento.

Old 07-18-2008, 12:08 PM

5,429 posts, read 13,176,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Not to mention the (controversial) large increase in crime since Katrina.
It spiked in 2006 I believe (Katrina happened in 2005) and has gone way down since then.

Old 07-18-2008, 12:27 PM

41 posts, read 76,780 times
I personally would like to go to Sac, as far as diversity, quality of people, and cost of living (housing, gas, food)? I just love the natural beauty and weather of cali and it would be a dream come true... I just don't want my dream to put me allot further behind financially.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or