U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 09:55 AM

11,172 posts, read 22,372,703 times

Advertisements

I've always been randomly interesting in infrastructure of different cities. What's the "style" of your city? Trains, huge freeways, landscaping, crowds?

Feel free to show pictures of how people move in your area....

I'll start with Chicago. These are all pics I got from Flickr or have saved from public forums off Skyscraperpage or Skyscrapercity.

Flickr set:

Suburban System into Chicago:

Elevated and Subway system in the city itself:

Last edited by Chicago60614; 07-18-2008 at 10:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 10:09 AM

1,137 posts, read 2,050,238 times
wow! pretty cool pictures!

Mass Transit in Omaha is pretty lousy. Luckily, it's about to get some help from a new street car system. But traffic also really isn't too bad, Omaha was ranked as the fastest in terms of commute time (although I'd have trouble finding the article) in the nation. So not much of a need to improve unless you are a person who doesn't want to deal with a car.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:20 AM

3,744 posts, read 8,687,976 times
Chicago60614 thanks for the pics...very inspiring. They make me wanna go down to the beach right now. I just don't wanna deal with the traffic

Old 07-18-2008, 10:59 AM

2,318 posts, read 7,008,268 times
The primary mode of transportation in Los Angeles, by far, is the car. We have an extensive (but over-capacity) freeway system which snakes all throughout the city.

We also have an extensive bus system run by the MTA, as well as other regional carriers. The bus system can be very inefficient, however, as the busses get bogged down in traffic.

In addition to the busses, we have a budding BRT, LRT, & subway rapid transit system. This is by far the quickest way to get around, but is currently very limited in where it will take you. Expansion plans are in the works and under construction. For commuters, we have Metrolink trains.

Then there's the hub, Union Station!

Last edited by LASam; 07-18-2008 at 11:09 AM..

Old 07-18-2008, 12:25 PM

1,137 posts, read 2,050,238 times
I saw that last picture and imediately thought "union station" because it remided me of ours here in Omaha. although now it's been turned into a museum.
http://www.dwhm.org/waiting-room/images/_DSC0030_000.jpg (broken link)

Old 07-18-2008, 12:27 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,231,422 times
Well, Atlanta is called the "L.A. of the East" for a variety of reasons. But basically, we have three major interstates running through the city and a beltway (I-285) which circles it, localled call "The Perimeter". Residents tend to refer to each other as those who live ITP (Inside the Perimeter) and OTP (Outside the Perimeter).

Studies seem to vary, but the last one I saw said Atlanta had the worst congestion in the most places, plus longest commute times, second only to L.A. in the U.S. The suburbs sprawl out to numerous "satellite cities" in all directions since we have no ocean or large body of water to stop any of it.

The public transit system is MARTA, which is a heavy rail system similar to San Francisco's BART system, only with fewer stations. There hasn't been a lot of expansion over the last couple of decades. Most of the stations are inside the beltway, with only a few that barely venture outside, and none going into the suburbs. There is no commuter rail. It's being talked about, but really it's stalled. Two suburban counties run their own small bus systems that tie into Atlanta's. Basically, that's it - it's most definately a car city.

NOTE: Also keep in mind folks, it's best to try to keep you photos in the 600-800 pixel size range. Otherwise, when folks start adding a lot to this thread that are oversized it's really going to bog down viewing for those with slower DSL or (gasp), dialup.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 07-18-2008 at 12:36 PM..

Old 07-18-2008, 01:00 PM

3,436 posts, read 5,983,391 times
Well Transportation in albuquerque is at its best for a city of 518,271

The ABQ RIDE is the bus system it runs threw out the city and someparts of the outer city area such a Rio Rancho or the South Valley.

New Fleet of Buses

Rapid Ride Runs up and down Central and Coors as well as the Uptown Area

The transporation road wise is great, there building may off ramps and briges to prevent traffic for the future. Paseo Del Norte Will be turned into a freeway sysyem.

And of corse the 5 stories of bridges and off ramps THE BIG-I

Old 07-18-2008, 01:08 PM

3,436 posts, read 5,983,391 times
I also forgot to mention the new street car that will also be built soon along central in 2009

Albuquerque is the best city for transporation!

Old 07-18-2008, 01:13 PM

27 posts, read 33,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
I also forgot to mention the new street car that will also be built soon along central in 2009

Albuquerque is the best city for transporation!

Wow i cant wait for the street car

And thats so true ALBUQUERQUE is the best for transportation..its getting ready for the already growing city and metro area.

Old 07-18-2008, 01:18 PM

2,498 posts, read 10,288,860 times
Down in Orange County south of Los Angeles, we only have three options. Car, Bus, or Regional Rail. The car is the overwhelmingly popular choice with a less extensive bus system than our neighbor to the north LA. Regional Rail is mainly for those commuting over a longer distance, but for short hops, the Metrolink doesn't make sense.

This is approaching the El Toro Y Interchange, where the 5 splits into the 405, the widest portion of freeway in the world at 26 lanes across. This is at the Irvine/ Lake Forest border.

The Orange County Transportation Authority provides bus transport. It is concentrated in North Orange County which is flatter and denser. South County is all suburbia in very rolling hills making bus routes less convenient.

Then you have Metrolink Regional Trains connecting the county to Los Angeles, the Inland Empire, and northern San Diego County. Ridership is way way up as gas prices are around $4.60 here.

Our link to the rest of the USA is John Wayne/Orange County Airport (SNA) with nonstop service to major cities like Seattle, Dallas, Denver, and Chicago and the major airline hubs. We do not have service all the way to the East Coast due to planes not being able to carry a full fuel load from our airport. John Wayne is the shortest runway in the USA that takes large planes like the A320 or 757 and not just regional jets. The takeoff is also very steep and almsot vertical to make as little noise as possible for the resident's of pricey Newport Beach who live under the takeoff route and hate the airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or