U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 05:05 PM

12,084 posts, read 34,159,527 times

Advertisements

For sure the vast majority of Americans live in larger cities. Kind of leaves 90% of the Countries land for the rest of us though .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 05:48 PM

7,820 posts, read 12,326,456 times
I'm not saying that people in urban areas aren't "real". The image of teenage boys playing basketball on a graffiti sprayed court surrounded by tenement buildings in the heart of Baltimore or Washington, D.C. is just as authentically American as the image of little girls with a lemonade stand and those boys on the court are also authentic Americans. The world portrayed in rap videos is no doubt a reality for a lot of real Americans. I was just really wondering about how MOST people in the U.S. live.

Old 07-18-2008, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
I'm sure there are some wonderful rural parts of America. I've seen them. There are also a lot of very nice, wonderful urban areas too. I know, I live in one. I should also point out that there are some rural hell holes filled with unemployment, poverty, alcoholism, drug abuse, and crime.

My point is that I get very annoyed when the archetype of "REAL AMERICA" is described as rural, white, NASCAR-types who are somehow morally superior to us slick city folk.
I'm Asian American and the thing about rural America being all white is definitely not true. Maryland and Virginia's eastern shores have a lot of towns with large African American populations that have always been an established and integral part of the communities. Agricultural areas also attract many Hispanic immigrants and for some reason it seems the smallest nowhere town happens to have a Chinese restaurant, even if there's not a McDonalds yet Hey on a side note/trivia, Chinese restaurants actually outnumber McDonalds and Wendy's combined nationwide.

Old 07-18-2008, 06:08 PM

LauraC, I currently live in Rockville, MD and before that in Potomac, MD though I spent 4 years in College Park. Potomac...well half the city seems to originally be from up north...maybe thats why its so stuck up and why people there have no ideal of the world out there. (one of my friends in high school drove a Toyota Corolla and ppl called it a "ghetto car"). Rockville used to be a unique town before it was swallowed up by sprawl and now we have so many apartments and condos with hundreds of units being built. Nobody wanted them there but the government doesn't really care. They just care about the tax revenue the developers will give them. Granted, actually here in Montgomery County there are many long time residents and despite the growth, a lot of people are here to stay.

Alexandria (VA) and Bethesda and parts of Silver Spring and the District itself are definitely transient as you say. But the outer suburbs (Rockville and further out, the ones outside the Beltway...though some now say the outer suburbs start with Germantown) are still family-oriented places where people settle down for good. A lot of people who live in the outer burbs commute to Gaithersburg and Rockville for jobs, not DC. These places have a large biotech industry and many corporate headquarters. The corporate/intern culture is not big in Montgomery except very close to DC.

Actually some people here WISH it was more "transient" that way newcomers would live a few years and leave but people do move here for good, both from up north and from other countries, or else our population would not be growing so fast. Your right, sometimes the Baltimore area and the places around the Bay are seen as "real Maryland". Montgomery County feels like random suburbia (Gaithersburg and Germantown look a lot like the NC Triangle region) and Western Maryland is more similar to West Virginia and western Pennsylvania. Most people in Cumberland cheer for the Steelers.

Myself and most guys I know cheers for the Redskins because we've been here a long time. This has actually been a tradition for many families no matter how the teams doing. I know only a couple people who defected to the Ravens after they won the Super Bowl but you always have fair weather fans. My cousin cheers for the 49ers because he lived in California 10 years ago though he has no plans to ever move back but he'll always cheer for that team. Montgomery County only gets the DC news stations. Radio wise we get both DC and Baltimore stations but most ppl listen to the DC ones because we're a lot closer to DC.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:09 PM

5,772 posts, read 13,727,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I'm not saying that people in urban areas aren't "real". The image of teenage boys playing basketball on a graffiti sprayed court surrounded by tenement buildings in the heart of Baltimore or Washington, D.C. is just as authentically American as the image of little girls with a lemonade stand and those boys on the court are also authentic Americans. The world portrayed in rap videos is no doubt a reality for a lot of real Americans. I was just really wondering about how MOST people in the U.S. live.
I think Bydand has hit it, with acknowledgement that Mayberry isn't the only "real America," but the reminder that Mayberry, adjusted a bit for reality, still does truly exist. I'd like to rep Bydand's posts, but gotta spread it. Anyway, actually I think the numbers show that "most" Americans live the way you do, Tom, in those 'burbs. Just wondering what you're asking here. I'm getting the feeling that you're really asking what small-town America is like. Is that the idea?

Old 07-22-2008, 12:45 PM

Ogre, no I was wondering whether most people in the U.S. live a rural lifestyle. Despite the Census designations, a lot of counties considered part of metropolitan areas are actually predominantly rural and small-town. Is it still accurate to describe a (liberal) urban elite in the major cities vs the rest of the country?

Old 07-22-2008, 01:19 PM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,866,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Is it still accurate to describe a (liberal) urban elite in the major cities vs the rest of the country?
NO!

And it never was.

Old 07-22-2008, 01:20 PM

6,488 posts, read 16,154,995 times
The 2000 Census showed that, for the first time, the majority of Americans lived in the suburbs.

Old 07-22-2008, 01:36 PM

8,178 posts, read 16,547,987 times
I would think that most Americans live in cities......

I for one prefer the small town life BUT hold no anomosity to those that prefer the city.....the opposite of a couple of the responses I've seen so far.

Some people prefer the hustle and bustle of city life, the nightclubs, theater, different restaurants and every corner, being able to get at pizza or whatever at 3am. That's cool. That's real.

Some people prefer the small town life where people have time to stop and talk or wave at you. To me there's nothing better than going to the mom & pop diner for the best fried chicken or meatloaf known to man.
Sitting on a blanket in the park watching the fireworks, then just walking home. That's cool. That's real.

I see no reason to look down noses because someone else prefers a different lifestyle than you.

Who cares who likes NASCAR and who likes Broadway (I like both btw)

Life's too short to sweat the small stuff.

Old 07-22-2008, 04:44 PM

7,916 posts, read 16,795,831 times
I grew up in Montana and am very familiar with small towns but I've lived in big cities all of my adult life. Small towns in America are dying because there's no work there. Most high school graduates get out of small towns and move to big cities and that trend has been going on a long time. I agree that people are the same no matter where you live, Americans tend to move around the country quite alot. I've lived in five different states over the years myself. I know that states like Iowa are concerned about their dying small towns and have tried to find ways to keep young people from moving away but it's very difficult. Of course people who live on farms and ranches have also had a very tough time. Both of my parents were born and raised on ranches but the family farm is gradually becoming a thing of the past which is kind of sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or