U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 08:29 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,955,873 times

Advertisements

The following has some info on rural areas.

ERS/USDA Briefing Room - Rural Population and Migration

I don't know how to link to maps or images,but the site below has some maps on rural counties. Some of them indicate that in most rural counties Hispanic and Black population is growing. I could definitely see that with Hispanic. Although rural black population is declining in many rural Southern counties and Hispanic rural population is declining in parts of New Mexico. White rural population is growing in some of those same places. I don't know how credible the site is though.

Rural America in the 2000s: Population | Daily Yonder | Keep It Rural
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 10:19 PM

17,226 posts, read 19,525,937 times
This thread is a century out of date. Most Americans haven't lived in rural areas/small towns since before 1910.

Old 11-20-2010, 07:43 AM

4,186 posts, read 10,297,465 times
A very large % of Americans live in small towns/rural areas. When I'm older and finish college I am going to move to a rural area, life is so peaceful there and you feel free. But I'm still going to be within a decent drive (15-30 mims) to a major city, so I can enjoy all the big city amenities when I want to.

Old 01-25-2011, 11:50 AM

2 posts, read 10,327 times
Default information...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
84% of Americans live in metropolitan areas, and only 6.4% of Americans actually live in very small rural areas. So a vast majority live in cities. I was kinda shoked when you asked if most Americans lived in rural/small towns, since it's such the opposite!!

55% of the people in America actually live in a metro area of over 1,000,000 people. So actually it's a fairly small number of people who know what life is like outside a huge city. Especially concidering that a large amount of those 45% who live in cities less than 1,000,000 are living in the Omaha's, Tulsa's, etc. with between 500,000 and 1,000,000.
Where did you get those stats?

Old 01-25-2011, 12:47 PM

886 posts, read 1,923,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I've lived most of my life in a suburban area in Maryland outside of Washington, D.C. Being on the East Coast near a major city I sometimes get the feeling that its not the "real America" and that what I see everyday is not how most people in the U.S. live and I sometimes feel out of touch with the "reality" for most people. I live in a suburb that is quickly becoming a major city as more and more high-density places are built. But many outlying regions in my county are still pretty rural though there are subdivisions spreading outward and there are places with suburban type developments interspersed by farmland. Many suburbs are dominated by chain stores, fast food joints and franchise restaurants and there are few small-town type independent businesses. Most of the traveling I've done is to tourist destinations and I don't think I've really seen ordinary life out in America. Sometimes "America" feels like a foreign country to me as a minority born to immigrant parents and having lived on the East Coast for most of my life. Where I lived before I was 7, New Orleans, always has that mythical aura of a laid-back, down home paradise for me since we haven't been back ever since we moved to Maryland. Places like Kansas City, Charleston, Amarillo, Lubbock, or Sioux Falls also conjures up this mythical, utopian image of the all-American.

The Census Bureau designates something like 70% of Americans as living in "urban" areas which I think refers to any settlement with 5000 people or more, or in a suburban county. Here in the DC area, many counties in MD, VA, and one in WV are designated as part of metropolitan DC but many of these counties are predominantly rural and are included because some people commute to the city and to some closer in booming suburbs. Frederick COunty, MD for example feels mostly rural and agricultural with small towns. In nearby Baltimore the same is true with very rural areas included as part of Baltimore's metropolitan area. So I think teh Census description can be very misleading and inaccurate.

So how does the "typical American" live today in the 21st century? Is the world you see on CMT and hear about on country radio still reflective of the lifestyles and realities for most of the country? My local country station bills the genre as telling "real storeis about real people" and country being "America's music". A lot of the music deals with picture-perfect small towns that seem like paradise and sometimes about the "redneck" (as opposed to "trailer trash" which I believe is an offensive and elitist term) lifestyle. I've read articles about journalists in foreign countries who leave Beijing and Moscow to see "the real China or the real Russia" of how most people in those countries live? Is the same true of the U.S.?
Kansas City is far from rural. It has some "all-American" aspects, depending on what you consider to be "all-American".

There is not a large country music scene in KC, in fact I don't even know if KC has any clubs that plays country music. I don't even see how country music could be considered "all-American". Wouldn't hip hop and rock be considered real American? Or Jazz and blues and for that matter.

Real stories about real people? What does that even mean... being a midwest city does not mean the history or the people are any better or worse then the coast.

And I've been to plenty of small towns, and I while this is completely the wrong view to have I'm sure, I always leave thinking that the people their are missing out on what the world has to offer. I don't think real, I think they are sheltered.

The majority of Americans live in urban areas, that is REAL America. Maybe 100 years ago that would be different, but it isn't the reality of today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or