U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which part?
appalachia 16 23.19%
ozarks 8 11.59%
other 30 43.48%
Don't waste your time 15 21.74%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:11 PM

3,676 posts, read 1,553,795 times

Advertisements

I really like the region in North Carolina where I live; the Piedmont. Asheville 1.5 hours to the west and Charleston a little over 3 hours to the southeast. Lots of trees, hills, rivers. Moderate 4-season climate. I love the food, the culture (family/manners/music/sports/outdoors), the people, the beaches, mountains, Florida's tropical feel. I guess my favorite states are the Carolinas, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, and Virginia. I like the others as well, but these are the ones my wife and I enjoy the most. It's hard for me to really pick one as my favorite. If I had to, I'd pick the people. They're the salt of the Earth. My wife is from Boston and love it here for the same reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:28 PM
Status: "You picked the wrong fool, fool." (set 18 days ago)

580 posts, read 158,544 times
Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia

Old Yesterday, 07:31 PM

4,476 posts, read 1,702,239 times
Don't waste your time answering the poll, in which none of the choices are in the real south.

I love Mississippi, a state I got to know in the 50s. I also lived in "the real Florida", up on the Georgia line. Don't underestimate non-urban Texas, a great and affordable place to live.

Last edited by cebuan; Yesterday at 07:48 PM..

Old Today, 07:37 AM

220 posts, read 209,240 times
I really enjoyed living in North Carolina. Yes, people have very different definitions of the South. I was born & raised in the Ozarks think of the South as only the Deep South states. NC had a different feel even if some consider it a southern state.

Old Today, 07:53 AM

1,137 posts, read 999,671 times
This poll is silly in that it gives too few options to define areas of the south. A better poll might have had the following options (and I'm sure I'm still leaving out several good ones).

Atlantic seaboard
Piedmont
Appalachians/blue ridge
smokies
south florida
ozarks
deep south
Texas
other

Old Today, 07:59 AM

45,131 posts, read 36,318,714 times
I answered "Appalachia" but nearly answered "other" because there is so much more to the South than the Appalachian region, though it's one of the most beautiful parts of the south.

The Mississippi - all along it - is very interesting and full of history, culminating in that fabulous city of New Orleans.

The coastlines are extensive and beautiful. Even the Gulf Coast has beautiful areas.

The foothills of the Appalachians, through upper South Carolina, Georgia, and Alabama are beautiful in a picturesque and bucolic way.

The Chesapeake Bay area is gorgeous and full of history and has it's own vibe.

East Texas is a great mix of Southern and Southwestern and has a lot of Hispanic influence mixed in with lots of greenery, hills, pastures, rivers and lakes.

You have your big metro areas - Atlanta, Nashville, New Orleans, Houston, Dallas, and smaller ones like Hampton Roads, Knoxville, Charlotte, Charleston, Baton Rouge, etc. that all have a different feel to them.

And the rural areas are also so different - you have the Ozarks and Ouachita Mountains of Arkansas, the hollers and hills and mountains of the Appalachians and the beautiful Smoky Mountains, the Delta, River Road coming out of New Orleans, the lowlands of SC, Florida and the Florida Keys, fishing villages along the NC Outer Banks and the Chesapeake Bay in VA, "horse country" in Kentucky and Virginia and NC, etc etc etc.

It's a huge region with so many beautiful elements - come visit!

Old Today, 08:34 AM

45,131 posts, read 36,318,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dghornock View Post
The problem is everyone's definition of the South of the is totally different. People keeping shrinking the boundaries of the the region. Many remove Maryland and Delaware, some Virginia, some Florida,and others Texas and Oklahoma. Some add the former Border State Missouri and others southern New Jersey. The US Census definition is probably the best. The South isn't defined by who drinks Coke or sweet Tea. The South is the generally the part of the East with the mildest winters . The South has the large non-urban black population, lacking elsewhere. The South has the highest violent crime rate. The South has generally has a populace that is more morally conservative than much of the US, but many areas of have a very large out-migration of Northerners who are much more liberal. The South was once thought of to be mostly Protestant, except south Louisiana and peninsular Florida. Today the census-designated South has largest percentage of Catholics found in any region. Generally think of the South in regions- the Deep South- as the Gulf Coast States plus Georgia; the mid South- all of the non-debatable states- the Carolinas and Tennessee and Arkansas; and finally the Upper South- Delaware, Maryland, West Virginia, Kentucky, Oklahoma, and recently added Virginia. All states in the upper South have areas that are more Southern and other areas are more similar to the Northeast and Midwest. Delaware for instance has areas that most residents came from the North (Wilmington, Newark, and northward {north of 1-95,} and retirement/ resort areas of Sussex County but these are the areas of Delaware most non-residents are familiar with.
I agree with a lot of this except for the bolded part - WHAT THE HECK? Virginia wasn't "recently added to the south!"

Lordy.

Robert E Lee is probably rolling in his grave. Not that I care, but still...wow. The denial must be strong in some parts.

Old Today, 09:12 AM

13,993 posts, read 7,458,129 times
Since my comfort zone is affluent, highly educated suburban enclaves near an NFL city with a world class university, I'd go with Williamson County south of Nashville.

Old Today, 09:37 AM

23,684 posts, read 17,640,506 times
Western NC.

I grew up in the mountains. WNC avoids a lot of the summer heat and humidity common to areas of the Deep South. You get some snow, but it's not like a northern state where there will be a consistent snowpack.

The job market and cost of living are both issues.

Of the major job centers in the South, Raleigh has been my favorite city, by far.

Old Today, 12:10 PM

6 posts, read 984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Since my comfort zone is affluent, highly educated suburban enclaves near an NFL city with a world class university, I'd go with Williamson County south of Nashville.
My thoughts exactly. But a lot of northerners are moving in. Nashville is too hot right now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or