Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the capitol of the New South?and why?
Richmond 6 5.26%
New Orleans 2 1.75%
Birmingham 2 1.75%
Atlanta 71 62.28%
Dallas 8 7.02%
Houston 13 11.40%
Miami 3 2.63%
Nashville 2 1.75%
Charlotte 3 2.63%
Tampa 1 0.88%
Memphis 3 2.63%
Louisville 0 0%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 03:06 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,685,876 times

Advertisements

Houston/Atlanta are modern day co-capitols, and New Orleans is the former capitol of the south. For me, most of these cities are not even contenders. Not sure what Charlotte, Tampa, Richmond, and Louisville are doing on this poll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2008, 03:47 PM

8,801 posts, read 10,236,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
Houston/Atlanta are modern day co-capitols, and New Orleans is the former capitol of the south. For me, most of these cities are not even contenders. Not sure what Charlotte, Tampa, Richmond, and Louisville are doing on this poll.
I was thinking the same thing, I live in Charlotte and I can safely say, this city has very little culture and diversity, everyone either a native or a former northeasterner or floridian, usually the latter. We do have many shopping centers but even Atlanta would beat us in that. Not to knock my city or anything but I'm tired of Charlotte being compared to cities like Atlanta. There's nothing to compare except crime and traffic.

Old 07-19-2008, 06:55 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goozer View Post
Atlanta. It's the only true metropolis in the South. Dallas and Houston could certainly vie with Atlanta, but I do not consider them in The South per se. They are in Texas--a state that has some southern sensibilities, but is very different and unique in many other ways (same goes for Florida).
Since everyone wants to be so picky about everything. How about which city is the "Capital of the Southern region".

Old 08-03-2008, 01:01 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,481,951 times
As a person who has lived in Africa, Europe, LA, the "rust belt", Austin,Dallas and Houston I think it can be agreed the "capital" of the South is currently a bit of a catfight between Houston, DFW, and Atlanta. However, I think Dallas is too dependent on military contracting and losing it's manufacturing base and Atlanta is too provincial, lacking in international diversity and products demanded by the rest of the world to rival Houston for supremacy in the near future. I think two global trends of great importance - the feverish desire to keep the fossile fuel based industrial economy going while developing countries grow (e.g. China, India, Brazil, the Asian "Tigers"), the switch to alternate, sustainable energy sources, and the aging of the huge baby-boomer generation demanding medical services to maintain their health - favor Houston. Houston is indisputably the current leader of high-tech energy-related services in exploration and production as well as refining technologies. Many of those same oil/gas companies are investing billions in making sure they are still strong when the easy-to-find hydrocarbons play out as our many new, alternative-only startup in the area. Also, the cutting edge preventative, radiological, and surgical innovations coming out of the world's largest concentrated medical center seem to be unending.

Again, I'm no native of Houston but I'm still in awe of how it seems to keep the legendary American "can-do" attitude going while other cities seem to have lost that competitive edge. It might not be the prettiest or most charming but it is simply the best for technology and business environment.

Old 08-03-2008, 01:03 PM

69 posts, read 295,322 times
ATL hands down, it's not even a contest

Old 08-03-2008, 01:22 PM

284 posts, read 696,020 times
i dont see Texas a south i see it as southwest and say Houston is a capital of the south west when i think of south it is anything east of the Mississippi and south of the Ohio people will disagree but i really don't care ATL is the capital of that region

Old 08-03-2008, 03:40 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,598,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxnasi View Post
i dont see Texas a south i see it as southwest and say Houston is a capital of the south west when i think of south it is anything east of the Mississippi and south of the Ohio people will disagree but i really don't care ATL is the capital of that region
Folks in the TRUE Southwest (New Mexico and Arizona) might, for good reason, disagree with you. Texas is NOT the Southwest if it means inclusion with NM and AZ. It is Western South. Which, while rightfully differentiated from the Eastern South (or southeast), is NOT the same as being part of the southern West.

I like what what was said earlier, which makes cultural and historical good sense. Which is, that there are two twin historical sub-regions which make up "The South". The eastern and western parts. The boundaries are subject to debate, no doubt.

They can start at the Mississippi River....or in post-bellum Texas. But both share more similarites than differences...MUCH more...when it comes to historical and cultural affinity...as compared with the NE, Midwest, or Far West.

Which is why I maintain this is just an impossible question to answer if that sub-fact is not recognized.

*grins a bit* We all (from Virginia to Texas) eat black-eyed peas on New Years Day. BUT...we fight over BBQ.

Old 08-03-2008, 03:56 PM

8 posts, read 34,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
*grins a bit* We all (from Virginia to Texas) eat black-eyed peas on New Years Day. BUT...we fight over BBQ.
And imho you win the BBQ battle. There is no doubt that Texas is southern. Now, as for Atlanta, yes indeed if there was ever a black republic Atlanta would be it's logos. Let's see if the mods let that one go.. :-)

Question for you Texans, does your state hate Dallas or Houston? I ask because Georgians on the whole, hate Atlanta. Hell, no one really lives in the town much anyway.

Old 08-03-2008, 04:44 PM

315 posts, read 761,021 times
ATL all the way! Atlanta is one of the most exciting places in the world and I do believe it will eventually catch up with nyc in diversity, culture, arts etc.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:29 AM

756 posts, read 1,882,002 times
Atlanta feels very Southern. Texas cities feel distinctly Texan. There is a difference, and the Texas cities seem much more fast paced and international, both Dallas and Houston.
Atlanta does not have the Asian and Hispanic populations of the Texas cities either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.