Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 12:56 PM

2,441 posts, read 6,981,764 times

Advertisements

Many people in the South have a routine of eating extremely unhealthy foods. The South has a disproportionate amount of poverty, which makes the cheapest, most unhealthy foods attractive. Eating hog maws, macaroni and cheese, collard green, fried chicken, chitterlings, pig feet, hamhocks, buscuits, candied yams, peach cobbler, apple pie, and washing it down with a half a gallon of sweet tea or lemonade will make you fat.

This, combined with lack of exercise, explains why Southerners as a whole have the highest incidences of diabetes, heart disease, certain forms of cancer, and other obesity related problems.

Unfortunately, it seems that many who eat this way don't care what anyone has to say about their unhealthy lifestyles. They continue to cram this food down their throats and wonder why people around them are passing away at 50, or why 54-year old Uncle Lester is 500 pounds with an oxygen tank.

Old 07-20-2008, 12:58 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,124,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Many people in the South have a routine of eating extremely unhealthy foods. The South has a disproportionate amount of poverty, which makes the cheapest, most unhealthy foods attractive. Eating hog maws, macaroni and cheese, collard green, fried chicken, chitterlings, pig feet, hamhocks, buscuits, candied yams, peach cobbler, apple pie, and washing it down with a half a gallon of sweet tea or lemonade...
Why'd you have to go and make me hungry?!?

My friend told me about a study that showed that our bodies secretly enjoy bad/unhealthy foods by rewarding us with more endorphins, but I have yet to see the study. It would definitely be interesting to see it (if it exists) though.

Last edited by theSUBlime; 07-20-2008 at 01:06 PM..

Old 07-20-2008, 04:01 PM

122 posts, read 336,879 times
according to some on this thread, all southrons are poor and fat...

I wish when people were stating "statistics" or their ideas about a certain issue, they would provide where they got their information... it would be more benificial to the dialogue, only provided that one truly desires to have an intelligent conversation, of course.

but please...continue

Old 07-20-2008, 04:09 PM

2,441 posts, read 6,981,764 times
I am not sure I have seen any posts where someone has said ALL Southerners are poor and fat. There are a disproportionate percentage of people in South who are both poor and fat.

The poorest state in the country in the South, the least educated state in the country is in the South, the fattest state in the country in the South. Coincidence? I think not.

Old 07-20-2008, 04:24 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,664,713 times
Don't blame it on the economy. There are other poorer regions of the country (just not as widespread) that do not have as much of a problem. Don't blame it all on the lack of mass transportation. Again, there are several places in the country that are centered around the automobile (Los Angeles comes to mind) and do not have such a large obesity problem. Though these factors do play a role, the biggest thing is the diet. Almost everything we eat is fried this or fried that, gravy on everything. Even most of the vegetables we eat are cooked in grease. Don't forget the huge portion sizes. The south is notorious for taking things that are usually considered healty, like chicken or fish, and dipping it in batter and frying it up for dinner. I have also noticed that most of the people where I come from that are obese are either black women or spoiled little white kids. I haven't thought far enough into it to figure out why, I just think it is interesting.

Old 07-20-2008, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Many people in the South have a routine of eating extremely unhealthy foods. The South has a disproportionate amount of poverty, which makes the cheapest, most unhealthy foods attractive. Eating hog maws, macaroni and cheese, collard green, fried chicken, chitterlings, pig feet, hamhocks, buscuits, candied yams, peach cobbler, apple pie, and washing it down with a half a gallon of sweet tea or lemonade will make you fat.

This, combined with lack of exercise, explains why Southerners as a whole have the highest incidences of diabetes, heart disease, certain forms of cancer, and other obesity related problems.

Unfortunately, it seems that many who eat this way don't care what anyone has to say about their unhealthy lifestyles. They continue to cram this food down their throats and wonder why people around them are passing away at 50, or why 54-year old Uncle Lester is 500 pounds with an oxygen tank.
I'll have you know I've never eaten pigs feet, hog maws, or chitterlings in my life, but everything else on that list sounds mighty tasty. In fact I have half an apple pie in the fridge just waiting to be eaten as we speak lmao.

Old 07-20-2008, 04:29 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,544,948 times
I found the article:It is on calorielab.com it was done on July 2nd 2008.

Old 07-20-2008, 04:41 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,577,779 times
I've been to all fifty states over a period of many years and I have to admit that southerners are the best cooks. I think it's almost an art that's passed down to the next generation and I'm reluctant to criticize anyone just because they happen to be a great cook. I still think that the climate we have down here plays a significant role. I've lived in Denver, Phoenix, Seattle and of course Montana and people are much more physically active in those places in my experience. Denver has an extensive bike and pedestrian complex of paved paths and I used to use it all the time. Seattle has all kinds of similar amenities and I used to go on singles hiking groups on the weekends and there are some beautiful places to hike there. The south has some beautiful areas as well but to be honest when it's hot and humid like it is now it would be extremely difficult to be very active in the outdoors, at least it would be for me. I feel a little bad that alot of this thread seems like a putdown to the south. I've only lived here a few months but I think this is one of the friendliest areas I've lived in and there's alot of positive qualities in Nashville and other southern cities.

Old 07-20-2008, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I've been to all fifty states over a period of many years and I have to admit that southerners are the best cooks. I think it's almost an art that's passed down to the next generation and I'm reluctant to criticize anyone just because they happen to be a great cook. I still think that the climate we have down here plays a significant role. I've lived in Denver, Phoenix, Seattle and of course Montana and people are much more physically active in those places in my experience. Denver has an extensive bike and pedestrian complex of paved paths and I used to use it all the time. Seattle has all kinds of similar amenities and I used to go on singles hiking groups on the weekends and there are some beautiful places to hike there. The south has some beautiful areas as well but to be honest when it's hot and humid like it is now it would be extremely difficult to be very active in the outdoors, at least it would be for me. I feel a little bad that alot of this thread seems like a putdown to the south. I've only lived here a few months but I think this is one of the friendliest areas I've lived in and there's alot of positive qualities in Nashville and other southern cities.
Don't worry, I actually think it's kind of funny.

Old 07-20-2008, 05:04 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,544,948 times
I see that Florida was ranked 34th, I don't know about that,I see a lot of big people,bigger than me (6'3',300) waddling down the street.LOL!!

Colorado was considered the leanest state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.