U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: What city lacks Amusement?
New York 5 6.41%
Los Angeles 3 3.85%
Chicago 3 3.85%
Houston 12 15.38%
Dallas 13 16.67%
Seattle 7 8.97%
Miami 3 3.85%
Phoenix 30 38.46%
San diego 3 3.85%
Philadelphia 6 7.69%
Nashville 8 10.26%
Detroit 22 28.21%
Denver 4 5.13%
San francisco 3 3.85%
Boston 2 2.56%
New Orleans 4 5.13%
Atlanta 4 5.13%
Honolulu 2 2.56%
Omaha 38 48.72%
St. Louis 10 12.82%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-21-2008, 09:42 PM

867 posts, read 1,813,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
Well, this poll doesn't make sense including Omaha, the closest in population is Memphis which has 400,000 more people in its metro, so duh Omaha would get all of the votes, however, if all of the cities were around the same size, it would be different.

By the way, how many of you 20 have been to Omaha? Do you really know what Omaha has before you've been here?
Actually, it's not faring much worse in the poll than Detroit or Phoenix.

Sometimes it does seem that the polls are a bit skewed based on the choices offered... and some people probably could think of another city that qualifies better, but it's not on the list, so they pick the best choice from the existing list. I do think that many (or at least some) of the people who voted for Omaha probably have been there (or even lived there). I know when you really love a city that's it hard to understand that someone else who has been there is not as thrilled with it, but it can happen.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 09:54 PM

1,811 posts, read 1,470,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post

By the way, how many of you 20 have been to Omaha? Do you really know what Omaha has before you've been here?
Been there, lived there, voted for it (I also picked Detroit). But let's face it, everyone who comes to this forum has read enough of your posts to know exactly what is there...Qwest Center, world class zoo, Old Market, Gerald R. Ford Birthplace, yadda yadda yadda.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:03 PM

193 posts, read 411,871 times
The fact that Omaha is even on this list with such cities excites me!

I find Omaha very amusing and tend to have a ton of fun in this city. However, I can see Omaha not being amusing to people who have visited (and or live in) cities like Chicago, Seattle, etc. I'd say Omaha gets the vote on this particular poll.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:05 PM

8,987 posts, read 20,920,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
Been there, lived there, voted for it (I also picked Detroit). But let's face it, everyone who comes to this forum has read enough of your posts to know exactly what is there...Qwest Center, world class zoo, Old Market, Gerald R. Ford Birthplace, yadda yadda yadda.
And I don't think there's much else in the "yadda yadda yadda" category. Oh wait, the nifty pedestrian bridge.

Old 07-22-2008, 05:15 AM

3,996 posts, read 4,933,740 times
And driving down Dodge just to view the lane flow control (whatever they are called) signs with the Red X's and Green X's. These signs are especially breathtaking during the rush hour.

Old 07-22-2008, 05:52 AM

7,728 posts, read 8,611,899 times
Omaha.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:27 AM

3,302 posts, read 6,068,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
Qwest Center, world class zoo, Old Market, Gerald R. Ford Birthplace, yadda yadda yadda.
Joslyn Art Museum, Holland Performing arts center, Omaha Botanical Gardens, Memorial Park, the lakes, Heartland of America Park, the malls, restaurants, a terrible amusement park, the SAC Museum, Offut Air Force Base, the continuous Bike Path throughout the city, the Mormon Cemetery, etc.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:47 AM

3,996 posts, read 4,933,740 times
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

Old 07-22-2008, 08:00 AM

8,962 posts, read 12,983,657 times
why must Omaha be included in EVERY SINGLE one of these random polls?

I just rolled my eyes at first, but seriously. You're talking about entertainment in US cities, leave off everything from Washington DC to Tampa to Kansas City to San Antonio, but of course we must randomly include Omaha in the poll. Just strange it's such a random any-city mid-tier Midwestern US city that doesn't really stand out from any of its peers around the country. What gives?! It's not a top convention city, not a huge tourist city, not an airport hub, not growing any faster than other random smaller cities around the country. I've been there multiple times growing up, but I never heard it mentioned once on the national level for anything. Not that it's a bad thing, most cities that size in the Midwest aren't really General Discussion topics for the 300 million Americans.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:57 AM

4,697 posts, read 9,353,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
why must Omaha be included in EVERY SINGLE one of these random polls?

I just rolled my eyes at first, but seriously. You're talking about entertainment in US cities, leave off everything from Washington DC to Tampa to Kansas City to San Antonio, but of course we must randomly include Omaha in the poll. Just strange it's such a random any-city mid-tier Midwestern US city that doesn't really stand out from any of its peers around the country. What gives?! It's not a top convention city, not a huge tourist city, not an airport hub, not growing any faster than other random smaller cities around the country. I've been there multiple times growing up, but I never heard it mentioned once on the national level for anything. Not that it's a bad thing, most cities that size in the Midwest aren't really General Discussion topics for the 300 million Americans.
I think Omaha is a sarcastic/LOL addition to all of these polls because of all the Omaha boosterism we see on City-Data lately.

If I were to take all the poll choices seriously, of course the vote would go to Omaha. One of these things is not like the others...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.