U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2008, 06:47 PM

12,083 posts, read 34,740,108 times

Advertisements

Have you ever moved into a house and found something from a prior owner/occupant that made you think what a small world we live in? My wife and I just bought a house in a small town I grew up in. We knew it was the house that one of the Superintendent's of the school had built for his family back in the early 40's. Today straightening out the garage I popped my head into the garages attic and there was a box sitting there about a foot from the opening that had paperwork from the original owner. Well, old stuff like that intrigues me so I hauled it down and started looking through it. Turns out he was the head of War bond sales in the area during WW2 and also the head of the Air Raid Warden service for the town. Looking through the documents I found a Great-Uncle who was in charge of shutting down the street lights during air raid drills and a Great-Great-Uncle who was also a member. What I and the rest of the family didn't know was the the GG-Uncle spoke, read, and wrote German.

Who would have thought I would buy a property that had paperwork in it that helps fill in some blanks in the family history. 65 years after he signed up (March 2nd, 1943) I would see his original paperwork. There are other papers there that deal with other members of the family as well, but I haven't had time to dig through the whole stack yet.

Have any of you found something totally unexpected that dealt with some family history either in a house you bought, or someplace else? Just wondering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 01:45 AM

98 posts, read 545,395 times
Default How very cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Have you ever moved into a house and found something from a prior owner/occupant that made you think what a small world we live in? My wife and I just bought a house in a small town I grew up in. We knew it was the house that one of the Superintendent's of the school had built for his family back in the early 40's. Today straightening out the garage I popped my head into the garages attic and there was a box sitting there about a foot from the opening that had paperwork from the original owner. Well, old stuff like that intrigues me so I hauled it down and started looking through it. Turns out he was the head of War bond sales in the area during WW2 and also the head of the Air Raid Warden service for the town. Looking through the documents I found a Great-Uncle who was in charge of shutting down the street lights during air raid drills and a Great-Great-Uncle who was also a member. What I and the rest of the family didn't know was the the GG-Uncle spoke, read, and wrote German.

Who would have thought I would buy a property that had paperwork in it that helps fill in some blanks in the family history. 65 years after he signed up (March 2nd, 1943) I would see his original paperwork. There are other papers there that deal with other members of the family as well, but I haven't had time to dig through the whole stack yet.

Have any of you found something totally unexpected that dealt with some family history either in a house you bought, or someplace else? Just wondering.
That is so fantastic. What a great surprise for you. I love genealogy and spend lots of time on it. So that was extra special for you. It would be so cool to find something that unique and meaningful.
My father spoke German too and I didn't know it till I was about 18 when I brought home a boyfriend that had been stationed in Germany. He said something in German and my father spewed out all this German talk. lol. I was so surprised. A few years later I found an old book of poetry in German and that's when I found out that he spoke both high and low German.
Seems back when I was growing up (65 years ago, April of '43 a month after your gg uncle signed up) father's didn't seem to do much more than go to work, come home, eat dinner and go to bed. Not much conversation. I'm sure there were some men that talked and so forth with their kids but most the people I've talked to in my age group say the same thing. Dad's just didn't communicate much. Not with kids anyway. He was just like some apparition that appeared to eat dinner. lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.