U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2008, 09:17 AM

13 posts, read 57,666 times

Advertisements

I have lived in a few different places, one being the bustling city of San Francisco and a laid-back country town on the North Shore of Oahu. I have come to realize I thrive in more natural surroundings, and would rather venture to a city only when necessary. Would love to move and rent a room in a cottage somewhere by a lake, in a forest-like area, with a view of the mountains (where skiing is a possibility in the winter). I would need to be within 30-45 minutes driving distance to a city where I could find work, check out cafes, bookstores, museums, and appreciate some architecture. Does a place like this exist??? Thanks for taking the time read my post!

Last edited by niko_11; 07-22-2008 at 09:20 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 09:27 AM

324 posts, read 1,575,999 times
Shasta is gorgeous, with a great lake and skiing, mountains etc...I just don't think there is any city that would have all the amenities that you are looking for. Redding is close by but it is a newer town, not really historical as far as I can remember.

SF is a great city with everything you are looking for on that end but it is hours from skiing, Muir Woods isn't that far from there...

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Originally this was in the CA forum, now maybe this doesn't pertain.

Last edited by calif; 07-22-2008 at 10:37 AM..

Old 07-22-2008, 09:41 AM

4,714 posts, read 11,962,404 times
Frog Lake, Oregon...at the base of Mt. Hood. Has everything you are asking for...and the city to work in is Portland or Gresham, Oregon. On the south side of the City is Clackamas...about 20 minutes out of Lake Oswego on the Williamette river...both are the very best of what you are seeking...If you are coming from San Fran and Kahuku...you wouldn't feel very comfortable in Wv...just to far removed and Oregon IS West Coast....good luck.

Last edited by David Kennedy; 07-22-2008 at 09:49 AM..

Old 07-22-2008, 10:09 AM

3,029 posts, read 10,661,813 times
The Silverthorn /Dillion area would be a good place to start.

Lake...yes
Downtown area with emplyoment...yes
Mountian view...yes
Forest...yes
Outdoor ativities..yes year round.
Skiing...yes, quick acess to many resorts.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:13 AM

2,429 posts, read 6,452,609 times
In West Virginia, you might look into the Cheat Lake area, just east of Morgantown. The lake borders Cooper's Rock State Forest. The closest skiing would be north in Pennsylvania (Seven Springs, Hidden Valley) or east in Maryland (Wisp). Both ski areas would be about an hour or so drive.

The Greenbrier River is pretty tranquil, almost lake-like. Possible locations would include Durbin, Green Bank, Marlinton, Seebert, and Hillsboro in Pocahontas County. Skiing is at Snowshoe Resort, near Cass. The nearest cities would be Elkins to the north and Lewisburg to the south; each would be 45 min - one hour, depending on exactly where you moved.

Other big lakes include Summersville and Bluestone.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:17 AM

2,486 posts, read 2,360,503 times
EVERYBODY WANTS THIS! Most people move 30 miles from the city to acheive this.

Hence the creation of the suburbs. Then the nice quiet place in the forest next to a lake is turned into, well, everywhereville.

Last edited by Awesomo.2000; 07-22-2008 at 10:30 AM..

Old 07-22-2008, 10:28 AM

3,359 posts, read 10,910,595 times
Lake Placid where the Olympic Village is would qualify. Thick natural woods on a lake in the mountains with skiing. Not far from the historic city and Capital of NYS in Albany and a few hours from French speaking Montreal. Too far to commute to either on a daily basis.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:33 AM

3,105 posts, read 6,637,549 times
Hello Mr. Monitor,
This was in the WV thread, I spent a good bit of time giving info and links to websites with info about Cheat Lake area of Morgantown, WV, Deep Creek, Md and Canaan Valley WV. As soon as I hit post reply I see where the thread had moved - my reply is gone. Is it out there floating around anywhere? I really don't want to redo the whole thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.