Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Omaha as a World Class City: How does it rank?
1st (There is no place like Nebraska and no city like Omaha... ANYWHERE) 40 31.75%
2nd (because Big-O mass transit is not the best and riding the bus is important) 5 3.97%
3rd (because Omaha has too many white people and whites are void of diversity) 4 3.17%
4th (because corn is lame and Omaha is close to corn) 9 7.14%
5th (because Omaha is just a suburb of Chicago) 4 3.17%
6th (because Omaha is just a suburb of Denver) 1 0.79%
7th (because Omaha is just a suburb of KC) 6 4.76%
8th (because Scranton is still a city and still rocks like nobody's business) 13 10.32%
9th (explain why) 1 0.79%
10th (explain why) 43 34.13%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 09:10 AM

39 posts, read 128,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I think the only thing left Omaha needs to do to vault into the rank of Top City In The World is to hold a Winter Olympics. The downhill slalom might be a problem, however.
You might be surprised just how hilly Omaha is: http://maps.unomaha.edu/atlas2002/pages/05-TIN.pdf

Since we now have the Qwest Center, arguably the greatest convention center AND arena in the world, I think hosting the Olympics is a no-brainer. Our diverse climate could support both the Summer or Winter games.

Granted, through no fault of our own, we may not have the elevation changes needed for all of the downhill events (just being hilly probably won’t cut it) but the town could definitely pack ‘em in at the Qwest Center for every other event.

Great suggestion!

Old 07-24-2008, 09:49 AM

89 posts, read 206,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looftie View Post
I think was remiss by not mentioning Pittsburgh as another world-class city in my poll.
Thanks for your kind words, but I have only one more month in Pittsburgh, Pa., -- just long enough to sell everything I own -- and then I'm moving on to greener pastures...possibly Omaha (I'm serious.) Anyplace with work. I've been unemployed for more than two years here.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:14 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,455,683 times
I wonder how many people in Europe could pinpoint on a map "world class" Omaha? I bet some where around 90% if not more, couldn't do that. But I bet they could pin point NYC or LA.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:21 AM

337 posts, read 1,528,569 times
None of these.

Mass transit doesn't matter and if I want to drive I will.

The lack of diversity doesn't make them racist. (sounds like a white guilt agenda)

The corn belt is part of what makes this country who we are.

Omaha is not a suburb of... anywhere..

Old 07-24-2008, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzpdq View Post
Thanks for your kind words, but I have only one more month in Pittsburgh, Pa., -- just long enough to sell everything I own -- and then I'm moving on to greener pastures...possibly Omaha (I'm serious.) Anyplace with work. I've been unemployed for more than two years here.
The job market here seems to be immune to the bumps we’ve seen in other parts of the nation over the last couple of years. It probably has to do with our awesomeness, but I am not certain.

If you can deal with our nasty.. I mean WONDERFUL winters and moderately thick summertime humidity you'll love it here. Anyone would. And we Omahans will welcome you. I'm cereal too.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
I wonder how many people in Europe could pinpoint on a map "world class" Omaha? I bet some where around 90% if not more, couldn't do that. But I bet they could pin point NYC or LA.
Surely you jest. Omaha can be easily seen from space, yet another reason why it is world-class. Try using Google Earth and zoom WAYYYY out. See that sprawling yet perfect balance of urban and suburb growth in the middle of the U.S.? You’ve found Omaha.

At night, Omaha's shear size of lighted land mass produces a beacon of light similar to that emanating from the top of the Luxor, only bigger and brighter by several orders of magnitude. I’m pretty sure I’ve read that astronomers can see a very small glare associated with Omaha’s lights striking the lunar surface when conditions are just right.

Londoners and Parisians might pretend not to know where Omaha is on a map, but only out of haughty European jealousy.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:53 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,898,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looftie View Post
I really don’t want to get into an argument that deviates from the topic of Omaha and to what degree it is world-class.

With that said, I am sorry for the confusion with regarding to my stating the City of Fort Worth must have an inferiority complex. I meant “city” as in all of its residents (or at least the founding ones that named it), not “city” as in Ft. Worth’s buildings, infrastructure and any other inanimate objects. It almost sounded like you were agreeing with me in your aforementioned post (in bold).

I am not trying to denigrate your fine city. Truth be told, I partied like it was 1999 (December 31st, 1999 to be precise) in downtown Fort Worth with some college friends some 8.5 years back. We had our choice of Dallas and Ft. Worth and chose the latter. I was quite impressed. Is it Omaha? No. Is it world class? Not quite. Is it awesome? Yes, to a degree. It’s a very nice place to visit and your airport is a very nice place to connect to Tampa.

Regards,
Looftie
Not tryin' to argue.

Well, as long as we're kissin' and makin' up, I've looked at some of Omaha's projects. You've got a couple of good things going for your city. Fort Worth is coming along too, but because of our proximity to Dallas, we hardly ever get recognized as an independent city, so I can kind of understand where your coming from.
Anyway, I'll never diss anyone's city and sorry for any mix up on my part.

Yer good with me.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Not tryin' to argue.

Well, as long as we're kissin' and makin' up, I've looked at some of Omaha's projects. You've got a couple of good things going for your city. Fort Worth is coming along too, but because of our proximity to Dallas, we hardly ever get recognized as an independent city, so I can kind of understand where your coming from.
Anyway, I'll never diss anyone's city and sorry for any mix up on my part.

Yer good with me.
Yeah, there are some neat things going on here. Omaha is at least moving in the right direction (up with some out, IMO).

No need to apologize as I’ve meant this thread to be a combination of tongue in cheek and self-defecating (as one of my coworkers inadvertently says) humor. Oops. Did I just say that? LOL

I love Omaha and wish it were “world-class” but recognize that it is not even close. We are simply too small. Were Omaha 10 times its current size, we’d still be too small. But I love my town anyway.

And to be quite honest, in my travels (not much abroad but all over the country) a lot more people know where Omaha is than I would have guessed. And yes, we still have lots of corn but not that many cows. I don’t think that fact/joke will ever get old to non-Omahans. As for rip-roaring night life, it's improving but "Comaha" isn't that far off. Touché.

I am sorry if I embarrassed any of you fellow Omahans reading this. I just wanted to make people laugh at my own expense while emanating the zealousness that is the typical Omaha promoter. It was all meant in good fun.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:14 AM

6,339 posts, read 11,084,820 times
I suspected it and at least you came clean. :-) I've never claimed it to be an awful place. And I've noted on more than one occasion it is up and coming and appears to have a bright future. But it still has a long way to go before it can be anything more than an average small but soon to be medium sized midwest metro area.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
I suspected it and at least you came clean. :-) I've never claimed it to be an awful place. And I've noted on more than one occasion it is up and coming and appears to have a bright future. But it still has a long way to go before it can be anything more than an average small but soon to be medium sized midwest metro area.
LOL I know you didn't from one of your posts I read in a different thread. I just had to pretend to be incensed to pull off the joke.

I think you are spot on. Our city might appear larger by incorporated population (thanks to pro-Omaha annexation laws), but our metro population is still pretty small compared to those of technically "smaller" cities (St. Louis comes to mind, way bigger metro area). Oh well. We may not be that cosmo, but I think we're a nice balance between big city and small town.

I really like that people from Omaha for the most part love their town. But I can’t help but make fun of that fact and our influence as a city (very small) when we get a little too over zealous in self-promotion (I’m guilty of this too).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.