U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 10:26 AM

395 posts, read 669,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Philly is a great place, full of character and culture. I do not find it scary at all. I am sorry that older homes scare you but they are much better than the cookie cutter homes in Texas.
lol. It's not old homes. I've seen lovely rowhomes in SF. It's just philly and pa in general that are scary. I went to Penn. It's a living nightmare ghetto.

And I would take safe cookie cutter of "charming" but getting shot. You live in florida, the king of cookie cutter, so you should know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 11:14 AM

2,506 posts, read 5,910,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
One statement in just as ignorant as the other...both places have their scary parts, both places have character and culture, and both places have cookie-cutter homes. One of you accusing the other of these things is just plain stupid.

That is a pretty walk to work in Philly...you just need to make it about 20 degrees and frozen for six months of the year.
It was 60 degrees in Phila. today.

Old 12-15-2008, 12:01 PM

15,831 posts, read 20,000,755 times
Quote:
Philly is a great place, full of character and culture. I do not find it scary at all. I am sorry that older homes scare you but they are much better than the cookie cutter homes in Texas.
You live in Orlando,FL......

Old 12-15-2008, 03:09 PM

4,386 posts, read 11,654,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txguy2009 View Post
yikes scranton and philly look scary
I agree beauty scares me too

Old 12-15-2008, 03:14 PM

2,486 posts, read 1,063,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txguy2009 View Post
lol. It's not old homes. I've seen lovely rowhomes in SF. It's just philly and pa in general that are scary. I went to Penn. It's a living nightmare ghetto.

And I would take safe cookie cutter of "charming" but getting shot. You live in florida, the king of cookie cutter, so you should know.
What a ignorant statement. How did you not see lovely rowhomes in Philly. Philly is a very beautiful city. Some of the oldest and charming urban areas I have ever been in were in Philly.

Are you saying Pennsylvania is a living nighmare ghetto? WOW. Did you go to Old City, how bout the Main Line, what about Manyunk? Did you travel to the Pittsburgh area? Did you visit my neighborhood of Squirrel HIll before, how bout Shadyside? Maybe you came and walked around Regent Square and Edgewood in the Pittsburgh area? Guess not.

This is why I am really deciding if I should come back to this board or not. It is comments on citydata like this that are just getting obnoxious. What is the point of some guy from Texas attacking my state in such a classless and ignorant way?

Old 12-15-2008, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
One statement in just as ignorant as the other...both places have their scary parts, both places have character and culture, and both places have cookie-cutter homes. One of you accusing the other of these things is just plain stupid.

That is a pretty walk to work in Philly...you just need to make it about 20 degrees and frozen for six months of the year.
Wait, I never knew PA was 20 degrees and frozen for 6 months of the year?

Last I knew, (and I lived in PA for 24 of 28 years of my life) was it is typically really cold (under 32 degrees) for about 2 or 3 weeks on average in mid January to mid-feburary.

Old 12-15-2008, 03:31 PM

5,299 posts, read 2,062,533 times
Imo rowhouses are impractical(one catches fire they all go), impersonal(like apts you can hear neighbors), and remind me of prison cells...but that's just me

Old 12-15-2008, 03:34 PM

5,299 posts, read 2,062,533 times
Quote:
Yea Philly's full of characters alright...
And older buildings is right...like hundred year old dilapidated 'sick' buildings...yea that's for me

Old 12-15-2008, 03:34 PM

395 posts, read 669,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
What a ignorant statement. How did you not see lovely rowhomes in Philly. Philly is a very beautiful city. Some of the oldest and charming urban areas I have ever been in were in Philly.

Are you saying Pennsylvania is a living nighmare ghetto? WOW. Did you go to Old City, how bout the Main Line, what about Manyunk? Did you travel to the Pittsburgh area? Did you visit my neighborhood of Squirrel HIll before, how bout Shadyside? Maybe you came and walked around Regent Square and Edgewood in the Pittsburgh area? Guess not.

This is why I am really deciding if I should come back to this board or not. It is comments on citydata like this that are just getting obnoxious. What is the point of some guy from Texas attacking my state in such a classless and ignorant way?
**It's...not...about...the...homes***

It's the surrounding urban decay/poverty/high crime that turns me off to Philly. Philly is a city of last resort for people who want east coast - they choose NYC, then Boston, and even DC over philly. Philly is the red-headed stepchild of east coast cities, and nobody really wants to go there, which is why it's losing population.

Old 12-15-2008, 03:44 PM

I always compared Philly to another more modern city that I lived in By the following:

Philly has some horrible areas of urban decay, however it has amazing charming areas that offset it.

Another modern city I lived in had some cool unique areas (but not amazingly charming), than the rest was really bland.

Give me Philly anyday.

Philly is very very unique with flavor that most other cities wish they could have. Sorry that you don't try to realize that cities in other regions are different and try your best to see the positives in areas.

I never been to Texas. However, even if I had, and I didn't like it, I wouldn't be on a internet forum bashing it to tick people off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.