U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Do you find trees growing through concrete disturbing?
Yes 16 19.51%
No 66 80.49%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-23-2008, 06:01 PM

7,917 posts, read 11,370,902 times
I'll tell you what looks bad and that is when a tree is planted in a small space in a sidewalk and the wrong kind of tree has been chosen for the space and soon it outgrows it and pushes up the concrete surrounding it. My sister lives in Guadalajara and when I visited her about a year and a half ago that's exactly what happened on the streets surrounding her apartment. The trees have gotten so big that the roots have pushed up the concrete (actually it might have been brick pavers, I'm not sure) so much that you have to step over the top of it. It's very unattractive and the result of poor planning. I see nothing wrong with combining nature with an urban setting, in fact it's something that most cities do. I can't quite get the concept that trees and plants don't belong in cities. If it's designed properly it can be very attractive and I don't believe that trees have any particular opinion about concrete or anything else for that matter.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 06:02 PM

259 posts, read 1,034,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
When its done right it looks great. when not like in the photo its gross. But i must say, trees really only work in low rise urban areas. if they're in high rise areas, they make the area look very suburban.
Do the trees feelings not come in to question, to make an area "look great".

Old 07-23-2008, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I don't believe that trees have any particular opinion about concrete or anything else for that matter.
How do you know? Oh yeah you talk to trees.

Old 07-23-2008, 06:16 PM

4,388 posts, read 11,414,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dariusz View Post
Do the trees feelings not come in to question, to make an area "look great".
Oh im sorry, i must have been ignorant. I didn't realize Trees had Emotions, much less a brain to produce these emotions they 'feel'. Tell me, since it seems you've spoken to trees about their feelings on being in an urban environment, possibly you've even interviewed one? Can you tell me what the tree told you about it's feelings?

haha sorry i couldn't resist, i was just kidding

What do mean though?

Old 07-23-2008, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
What do mean though?
Well do some critical thinking. If you were a tree, would you want to be sitting in a polluted cities walkway or in a open field with a lot of other trees?

Old 07-23-2008, 06:24 PM

Tree's do not have brains - in an urban environment, they provide some fresh air, doing good for life in these cities. If i were a tree, i would much rather be in a city because people would appreciate me more and take pictures of me

Why do you care about the non existent feelings of a tree?

In conclusion, Trees are great for urban environments. Luckily they are NOT ALIVE, so therefore they could care less (actually they don't have emotions so its impossible for them to care about anything) and they can not get up and walk away because they are TREES, they are stationary and don't have minds of their own.

Old 07-23-2008, 06:45 PM

4,757 posts, read 9,502,527 times
Trees growing through concrete.... is there any other way???

Old 07-23-2008, 06:50 PM

389 posts, read 697,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dariusz View Post
Well do some critical thinking. If you were a tree, would you want to be sitting in a polluted cities walkway or in a open field with a lot of other trees?

If I were a tree, I'd be glad just to be alive. By the way. . .is your house made of stone or wood? How about your kitchen table? Chairs? Dresser? Computer desk? Doors? Pencil?

Old 07-23-2008, 06:52 PM

^^ good point!

Old 07-23-2008, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torresdale View Post
If I were a tree, I'd be glad just to be alive. By the way. . .is your house made of stone or wood? How about your kitchen table? Chairs? Dresser? Computer desk? Doors? Pencil?
I live in a brick structure. I don't have a dresser, kitchen table, or pencil.

My recliner is made out of wood, leather and some metal, my computer desk is made out of wood (I made it), the doors I am unsure of. What does this have to do with a tree growing out of concrete?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.