Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 12:21 AM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Sorry, but I'm LOL. "heritage not hate" and 3 sentences later you acknowledge that your interpretation of the flag is "hating the yanks".

Is part of southern culture hating northerners? if so...just... wow.
Tahiti, the bumper sticker was in hate as racism. I consider myself to be a color blind person despite all the PC, multicultural crap liberals love to spew. When I meet someone, I see a person, I don't see a white person, or a black person, or a Hispanic person, or whatever.

The Yankees...maybe its not hate, its resentment. Most of the really really nasty people I run into here in the DC area tend to have varying traces of that accent from New York or New Jersey. A lot of them behave very rudely and arrogantly and drive aggressively. I know a lot about how they are moving in droves to Florida and North Carolina and completely changing the pace of life and stuff. I went to a state university and there were a lot of overbearing, arrogant, snotty types from up north, many of them lecturing us on how much better the pizzas and bagels were in New York. Natives from Maryland do not go up to NY and lecture them about how bad their crab cakes or seafood are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocks4 View Post
The civil war was technically a battle between white men. That's why it'd be strange for an asian to fly that flag.
But doesn't the flag represent more than the Civil War? People wear Che T-shrits though Che Guevara was involved in civil wars thousands of miles away in South America.

All the stuff about whether there were black soldiers in the Confederate Army was very interesting, btw.

Last edited by Tom Lennox 70; 07-25-2008 at 12:38 AM..

Old 07-25-2008, 06:41 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Tahiti, the bumper sticker was in hate as racism. I consider myself to be a color blind person despite all the PC, multicultural crap liberals love to spew. When I meet someone, I see a person, I don't see a white person, or a black person, or a Hispanic person, or whatever.

The Yankees...maybe its not hate, its resentment. Most of the really really nasty people I run into here in the DC area tend to have varying traces of that accent from New York or New Jersey. A lot of them behave very rudely and arrogantly and drive aggressively. I know a lot about how they are moving in droves to Florida and North Carolina and completely changing the pace of life and stuff. I went to a state university and there were a lot of overbearing, arrogant, snotty types from up north, many of them lecturing us on how much better the pizzas and bagels were in New York. Natives from Maryland do not go up to NY and lecture them about how bad their crab cakes or seafood are.
you may be color blind, but you're not region blind, and really, in the end, there's no difference. the arrogance and rudeness YOU claim to hate that is cornered in this part of the country , are traits YOU display in your posts. the irony is hilarious.

and, one last point: you know the common theme with all these "snotty, arrogant" northeasterns you meet? YOU. think about it.

Old 07-25-2008, 06:48 AM

2,735 posts, read 6,733,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
you may be color blind, but you're not region blind, and really, in the end, there's no difference. the arrogance and rudeness YOU claim to hate that is cornered in this part of the country , are traits YOU display in your posts. the irony is hilarious.

and, one last point: you know the common theme with all these "snotty, arrogant" northeasterns you meet? YOU. think about it.
I have to agree. I know people from the north east and I don't think they are "snotty, arrogant" as a whole group! There's "snotty, arrogant" southerners too. There's alot of northern transplants here and they've been just as nice as anyone from anywhere. If you treat people with respect, they usually respond in a positive way.

Old 07-25-2008, 07:14 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,944,069 times
Quote:
And also there are so many immigrants today from around the world, many of them illegals, who openly wave their countries' flags from their homes and cars and opnely reject assimilation and that embarasses me, and I like to show that not all minorities are like that, that many of us really want to be American and that we respect the culture here and love this country.
I find it ironic that you demonstrate your desire to assimilate by flying the flag of a foreign nation which was involved in armed conflict with the United States of America. I sense a rather willful ignorance of the history of our country that is rather common these days. Perhaps a more useful demonstration of respect and love for the US would be to become more knowledgeable about our history along with maybe a bit of travel through this vast country.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:51 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Can't the kids of Chinese or Mexican immigrants who spent their entire lives in Atlanta or Charleston or Nashville feel Southern pride too? Couldn't they also come to hate the Yankees and feel like a southern native?
Mm...I guess you could stereotype people who are not like white southerners and 'hate' all people different. But, personally, it looks ridiculous.

I'm a white guy who has lived in Asia for 13 years, predominately in Korea (but more recently Japan). People know that Koreans HATE ALL-things Japanese. I think if I start hanging around with the most nationalistic Japanese-hating Koreans, and starting burning and destorying ALL things Japanese like I had a mental screw loose and starting attaching Korean flags to me back with a "I hate Japanese" slogan underneath with my priority reasoning...well, I think its safe to say, most people would think I were a weirdo, even by Korean standards.

In short, you could have conderate flags attached to you, but you would nationally look ridiculous, and the few who share your beliefs would think that without the real roots and history there, it wouldn't have any context.

Maybe you could attach yourself to something else showing similar pride, but lacking the 'hatred' parts of it.

On the plus side, unlike the 'Yankee' areas that you hate, at least you aren't flying some sort of 'ethnic pride' symbolism that is so common in the 'yankee' areas. Gotta respect that nontheless. Personally, I find all ethnic or regionalism nationalism as ridiculous, as I don't find boundaries portraying all individuals that are written within those arbitary lines.

Old 07-25-2008, 03:17 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,598,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
I find it ironic that you demonstrate your desire to assimilate by flying the flag of a foreign nation which was involved in armed conflict with the United States of America.
*sighs good naturedly* I keep promising myself I am NOT going to get involved in yet another thread concerning the Confederate Flag (i.e. the Battle Flag, which was NOT the official banner of the CSA, in spite of that persistent myth), as I have worn out the keyboard on others related to it! LOL

Sometime though, I just gotta make an insert!

In this case, I just want to mention (and I appreciate that you recognize that the Confederacy was indeed a seperate nation, not a "section in rebellion"), that the way you phrase the statement is, while technically not innacurate, is nonetheless very emotionally packed and misleading (intentionally or not).

Specifically, it comes across as if the Southern states which formed the Confederate States of America were waging a war with the ideals and principles of the original United States, of which many of them had a large hand in forming to begin with.

On the contrary, what it involved was a dispute over those very principles and the many intertwined issues. There are other threads for discussing/debating the said issues, but the main point is that, as the South saw it, they were at war with northern states which only by default kept the name United States. There is a huge difference, and I can't emphasize it enough. The constitution of the CSA was almost a carbon copy of that originally adopted by the 13 soveriegn states which seceded from England, and largely written by Southern men.

The wisdom or not of secession can be debated, as can the causes of why it was done at all. But in the end, the Southern states were not fighting a war with the intention of altering nor overthowing the "United States" government (again, only northern states which kept the name), but against what they perceived as an invasion of their homeland.

Ok..ok...*slaps self* enough for now!

Last edited by TexasReb; 07-25-2008 at 03:52 PM..

Old 07-26-2008, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
I find it ironic that you demonstrate your desire to assimilate by flying the flag of a foreign nation which was involved in armed conflict with the United States of America. I sense a rather willful ignorance of the history of our country that is rather common these days. Perhaps a more useful demonstration of respect and love for the US would be to become more knowledgeable about our history along with maybe a bit of travel through this vast country.
Sukwoo, you said that you grew up in Alabama. Is it easy for an Asian American to assimilate into the local culture and be accepted by everyone else? I hear a lot about how the South is now less racist than the north these days and how much has changed since the civil rights movement. At the same time Boston, Philly, and Baltimore still remain very segregated, even between different kinds of whites like Italians and Irish.

I think for all the awkwardness, maybe I'll just stick to John Deere. That also represents a carefree, easygoing lifestyle away from the East Coast rat race.

Old 07-26-2008, 01:37 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,913,605 times
Quote:

I think for all the awkwardness, maybe I'll just stick to John Deere. That also represents a carefree, easygoing lifestyle away from the East Coast rat race.
It pretty much just represents a tractor company.

Old 07-26-2008, 03:30 PM

8,409 posts, read 7,402,622 times
I don't recall John Deere ever seceeding from the United States because the federal government might free their slaves.

Maybe a John Deere hat ISN'T like the Confederate Battle Flag?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.