Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 03:39 PM

835 posts, read 2,306,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Why does the South need a symbol at all? They are all Americans, aren't they? And each state has it's own flag, if that's important...
Yes, we're Americans but there's no reason why we can't embrace our own culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 08:10 PM

284 posts, read 696,309 times
u can fly it cause i feel the flag does not resemble racist people but people that did not agree with the united states and wanted to leave like how we did to England so fly it

Old 08-29-2008, 11:12 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,585,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guestposter24 View Post
Look back at other posts and you'll see other races in the Confederacy.
OK, then it's OK for them to fly it too. (Again, if somebody's gotta fly it.)

Old 09-04-2008, 09:50 PM

4 posts, read 6,462 times
WOW, I can't believe this thread really exists..

I'm an Asian American born and raised in the south. I've never lived anywhere even as far north as Tennessee.

I agree with the original poster..

Anyway, the reason I was looking for this thread (yes, this exact thread) is because I'm contemplating getting the Confederate flag tattoo'd on my arm. Actually it will be a dragon ripping open skin to display the flag.

The funny thing is, I've met high level white supremacist leaders who did not outwardly show any hatred for who I am.. (I've met militant leaders in the black community too) yet I'm sure this tattoo will because of what others believes it represents.

Last edited by happyguy123; 09-04-2008 at 10:24 PM..

Old 09-05-2008, 07:24 AM

8,418 posts, read 7,412,065 times
NativeAngelino, thank you for posting about the 1st Louisiana Native Guard. I had previously challenged others who claimed that black troops had served under arms in the Confederacy.

According to a Wikipedia entry for the 1st Louisiana Native Guard ( 1st Louisiana Native Guard (CSA) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) the unit was a volunteer force formed in 1961, consisted of free people of color, and was the first of any North American military unit to have black officers (something that the Union never allowed). However, neither the state of Louisiana nor the Confederacy offered any support to this unit in the form of uniforms or firearms; the members of the unit had to use their own resources to provide these items for themselves. The South never used this unit in any military action and disbanded the unit in February 1962.

This militia of color never did serve in battle under the Confederate flag, but the fact still remains that they did voluntarily assemble into a unit, outfit and arm themselves, and offer their military services to the Confederacy.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:08 AM

Here's an interesting story about the flag down here in my neck of the woods.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/Story?id=4978568&page=3

People keep saying that the flag represents a dark part of US and southern history and should be forgotten to move forward. Seriously, this is what is wrong with this country today. We want to forget about failure, kids aren't allowed to fail anymore..

We tell them its not their fault and everyone else is to blame. We make it so that when they play sports there is no win or lose, everyone gets a chance to play. When they fail at school, they are no longer held back a grade.

What happened to failure building character and learning from your mistakes? You can't learn from something if you don't remember and understand it.

At the same time, Japan totally has written out bad parts of it's history from school books, such as "The Rape of Nanking" and other atrocities committed during WWII. The American media criticized this move, yet it looks like we are taking the same route.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:30 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,161,008 times
News Flash,

The South lost the war. End of story! All of you yocals who want to relive history thats fine, but for you to spew such ignorant statements about that bull$hit a$$ flag, give me a break. That flag is good for wiping up some dog $hit.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:20 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
Wow! Last post is a doosy. My son and I are reenactors ( yes..Confederates as our roots are in Arkansas) and thusly we have had to field questions at school day history events as to what the Battle Flag represents. Well ...I certainly cannot condone wiping up fecal matter with either a US or Confederate flag as this would be entirely disrespectful to the bravery of all the soldiers who fought and died for what they thought was right. The Battle Flag has been stigmatized because of it's use by racist organizations and because of the mistaken idea that our Civil War was fought for the sole reason of preserving slavery. I feel that we must preserve our history for future generations ( and the Battle Flag of the Confederacy is part of that) Granted it means different things to different people but thats our right as Americans to have differing views. Remember also the old adage that " Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it".

Old 09-05-2008, 11:27 AM

You're absolutely right.

The only reason this is an issue is because the south lost. The flag itself is no more a symbol of hatred, persecution and atrocities against minorities than the Christian cross (although this was primarily by Catholics). Yet, because Christianity is the dominant religion in the west all of these things are conveniently forgotten.

Thanks for your intelligent and well thought out comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
News Flash,

The South lost the war. End of story! All of you yocals who want to relive history thats fine, but for you to spew such ignorant statements about that bull$hit a$$ flag, give me a break. That flag is good for wiping up some dog $hit.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:38 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,585,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyguy123 View Post
Here's an interesting story about the flag down here in my neck of the woods.
ABC News: Huge Confederate Flag to Fly Over Tampa

People keep saying that the flag represents a dark part of US and southern history and should be forgotten to move forward. Seriously, this is what is wrong with this country today. We want to forget about failure, kids aren't allowed to fail anymore..

We tell them its not their fault and everyone else is to blame. We make it so that when they play sports there is no win or lose, everyone gets a chance to play. When they fail at school, they are no longer held back a grade.

What happened to failure building character and learning from your mistakes? You can't learn from something if you don't remember and understand it.

At the same time, Japan totally has written out bad parts of it's history from school books, such as "The Rape of Nanking" and other atrocities committed during WWII. The American media criticized this move, yet it looks like we are taking the same route.
happyguy, if the Confederate flag represents "failure", why would you want to have it tatooed on your arm?

Personally, I don't think atrocities committed by any nation or people should be forgotten. To the contrary, they should be remembered to assure they don't happen again. But the rememberence should be done in a respectful, non-ambiguous way. Remembered, not celebrated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.