Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 06:59 PM

72,981 posts, read 62,569,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Yes,

you will see some blacks flying it to basically slap the rest in the face...

I played ball with a big black guy who had a confederate flag on the top inside of his truck.

It has also been used by some black rappers in this way... note MJG and 8ball
I think that poster looks stupid. I don't like most rap music anyway. I haven't even heard of MJG and 8Ball until this moment and they are still a mystery to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 07:55 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I think that poster looks stupid. I don't like most rap music anyway. I haven't even heard of MJG and 8Ball until this moment and they are still a mystery to me.
It isn't a poster it is a CD Cover...
You don't like rap... OK?
You haven't heard of 8ball and MJG they are pretty historic "dirty south" rappers... Anybody who is into it, I am positive knows them, they aren't an obscurity and pretty much started the Memphis scene by themselves along with three 6. I.E. equivalent to Outkast and Goodie Mob coming out of ATL.
Why are you posting again? I was pointing out there is a black backlash against the confederate flag and have seen them fly it.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:46 PM

952 posts, read 3,705,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I'm an Asian American male from Maryland, technically south of the Mason-Dixon Line. Culturally its not truely Southern here but also not truly Northeastern.

I'm 23 and going to grad school in a few weeks and maybe I'm kinda late in getting into that anti-establishment phase but the Confederate flag to me represents the opposite of everything I've starting to question about the East Coast environment where I spent most of my life. The rat race, the dog eat dog world, everyone in high school cramming to get into the top colleges, people all focused on making money and showing off, etc. The fast pace of life, the lessening sense of community, etc. I know some people choose Che or Mumia or the peace sign as anti-establishment symbols but the Confederate flag really appeals to me. The John Deere symbol to me represents a lot of the same things the Confederate flag does. I dont' want to get into that old debate about what the Confederate flag represents. I don't think its racist and I think there is ignorance on the part of the people, especially the media controlled by the NY/Boston based liberal elite.

For me that flag (and middle American culture) represent the antithesis to what I've mentioned above. It represents a more laid back, more wholesome, more innocent time and no for me it just means the "old South" and "traditional America" not necessarily the antebellum period. For me the Confederate flag means getting out of the rat race, an easier carefree lifestyle, knowing what matters most in life, traditional American values, family values and innocence. I'll be moving to Baltimore from a DC suburb soon for grad school and when I posted this question on the Maryland forum it got deleted as "off topic" and a more national thing.

So I'm still wondering, would it be acceptable to fly a Confederate flag in a "border state" like Maryland, West Virginia or Kentucky or Delaware? I've in fact seen a few here in MD includinga bumper sticker that reads "Heritage not Hate".

Has anyone ever seen a non-white person display a Confederate flag? Can't the kids of Chinese or Mexican immigrants who spent their entire lives in Atlanta or Charleston or Nashville feel Southern pride too? Couldn't they also come to hate the Yankees and feel like a southern native? And couldn't they also agree with the values the ideals the flag represents?

I love your post and I think you should fly the flag just because of the reasons you listed and to shut people up about the racist thing.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:19 AM

421 posts, read 1,565,706 times
Quote:
I'm an Asian American male from Maryland, technically south of the Mason-Dixon Line. Culturally its not truely Southern here but also not truly Northeastern.

I'm 23 and going to grad school in a few weeks and maybe I'm kinda late in getting into that anti-establishment phase but the Confederate flag to me represents the opposite of everything I've starting to question about the East Coast environment where I spent most of my life. The rat race, the dog eat dog world, everyone in high school cramming to get into the top colleges, people all focused on making money and showing off, etc. The fast pace of life, the lessening sense of community, etc. I know some people choose Che or Mumia or the peace sign as anti-establishment symbols but the Confederate flag really appeals to me. The John Deere symbol to me represents a lot of the same things the Confederate flag does. I dont' want to get into that old debate about what the Confederate flag represents. I don't think its racist and I think there is ignorance on the part of the people, especially the media controlled by the NY/Boston based liberal elite.

For me that flag (and middle American culture) represent the antithesis to what I've mentioned above. It represents a more laid back, more wholesome, more innocent time and no for me it just means the "old South" and "traditional America" not necessarily the antebellum period. For me the Confederate flag means getting out of the rat race, an easier carefree lifestyle, knowing what matters most in life, traditional American values, family values and innocence. I'll be moving to Baltimore from a DC suburb soon for grad school and when I posted this question on the Maryland forum it got deleted as "off topic" and a more national thing.

So I'm still wondering, would it be acceptable to fly a Confederate flag in a "border state" like Maryland, West Virginia or Kentucky or Delaware? I've in fact seen a few here in MD includinga bumper sticker that reads "Heritage not Hate".

Has anyone ever seen a non-white person display a Confederate flag? Can't the kids of Chinese or Mexican immigrants who spent their entire lives in Atlanta or Charleston or Nashville feel Southern pride too? Couldn't they also come to hate the Yankees and feel like a southern native? And couldn't they also agree with the values the ideals the flag represents?
Good post, Tom!! I think you are right about what it means these days. You'll see a lot of Rebel Flag front plates in rural PA, which is surely not Southern, and up in Michigan, which is also not SOuthern. Like you say, I think it means you're "country" these days, a person who lives close to the soil. Anti-city lifestyle, I think, independent and just someone who wants to live in the country.

Years ago, it certainly did stand for racism, IMO, as it was the flag of the pro-slavery South. Today, though, I think it just means you're country. Maybe I'm missing something here, but I don't think the symbolism is so racially charged anymore.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:08 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,409,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwelleaut View Post
Good post, Tom!! I think you are right about what it means these days. You'll see a lot of Rebel Flag front plates in rural PA, which is surely not Southern, and up in Michigan, which is also not SOuthern. Like you say, I think it means you're "country" these days, a person who lives close to the soil. Anti-city lifestyle, I think, independent and just someone who wants to live in the country.

Years ago, it certainly did stand for racism, IMO, as it was the flag of the pro-slavery South. Today, though, I think it just means you're country. Maybe I'm missing something here, but I don't think the symbolism is so racially charged anymore.
Yeah, I see plenty of confederate flags up here in St. Joe County, Michigan, which is nowhere near the south. I've never run into any racism, even though the flag is a decidedly racist symbol.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:51 AM

3,955 posts, read 7,196,988 times
Are any of you aware that the Confederate army was far more ethnically diverse than the Union army? Creoles, Mexicans, Jews, American Indians, and mixed race people served under the Stars & Bars.

Judah P. Benjamin, the Secretary of State for the Confederacy, was Jewish by the way.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:21 AM

1,990 posts, read 7,632,486 times
^^^ But does that take away from the brutal history of the Confederacy, especially slavery?

Old 03-30-2009, 11:30 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,300,659 times
Quote:
I don't believe that hating one's own countrymen is an admirable "value" or "ideal." Are all good ol' southerners supposed to hate "them Yankees"?

As a born and raised white southerner, I find it "weird" that anyone, regardless of race or geographic location, would want to fly that flag. I don't understand the "heritage" behind it. IMO, people who wave that flag around just want attention and to stir controversy.

Old 03-30-2009, 11:37 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,770,890 times
I think Tom's reasoning is a bit strange. But it reminds me of a story:

Knew a guy in college from Richmond, VA. Nice fella but an admitted racist. Really played up the southern bit as it garnered alot of attention, both positive and negative (college is in New York).

Told us once that he was walking somewhere in Richmond and saw a black man wearing a Stars and Bars belt buckle. Walked up to him and politely asked how a black man could wear such a thing.

The man's response: "Son, does not matter if you are black or white. If you are from the South, you are a Rebel."

Take from that what you will.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:25 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,632,486 times
^^^ Strange that a person will say that, especially after the flag can bring out so many raw emotions. I guess it is akin to someone walking around Germany, with a swastika on their belt-buckle, and says "Son, it doesn't matter if you're a Jew or an Aryan, if you're from Germany, you're a Nazi".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.