Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 12:31 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,687,834 times

Advertisements

It's just offending to a lot of people. End of story.

~Some people think as it as "The Old South", quaint and proud of there culture
~And some people think of it as what it represented.. Fighting to be it's own country, and to keep slavery going.

It can be both... IT IS BOTH

Before the next argument appears.. Yea the North had mild slavery but they weren't fighting pro slavery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 10:01 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,645,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
I don't believe that hating one's own countrymen is an admirable "value" or "ideal." Are all good ol' southerners supposed to hate "them Yankees"?

As a born and raised white southerner, I find it "weird" that anyone, regardless of race or geographic location, would want to fly that flag. I don't understand the "heritage" behind it. IMO, people who wave that flag around just want attention and to stir controversy.
Agreed, just look at these folk from PA in this Confederate Pennsylvania video. I just looked this up to see if it was true that multi-generation Northerners would fly this flag. I realize that they have a right to fly it but I'd be weary of them if I crossed them.

Old 03-31-2009, 03:07 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
The Confederate flag looks pretty cool, unfortunately many do associate it with backwardness and racism. Hey, I would fly it if I wanted to...Southern pride is awesome, lol.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:01 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post

So I'm still wondering, would it be acceptable to fly a Confederate flag in a "border state" like Maryland, West Virginia or Kentucky or Delaware?
I don't know the answer to your question but I've seen the confederate flag on a home in a rural part (farm area) of Maryland (other side of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge) not too far from Delaware and the Amish area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.