U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2008, 11:05 AM

7,820 posts, read 12,326,456 times

Advertisements

I'm an Asian American male from Maryland, technically south of the Mason-Dixon Line. Culturally its not truely Southern here but also not truly Northeastern.

I'm 23 and going to grad school in a few weeks and maybe I'm kinda late in getting into that anti-establishment phase but the Confederate flag to me represents the opposite of everything I've starting to question about the East Coast environment where I spent most of my life. The rat race, the dog eat dog world, everyone in high school cramming to get into the top colleges, people all focused on making money and showing off, etc. The fast pace of life, the lessening sense of community, etc. I know some people choose Che or Mumia or the peace sign as anti-establishment symbols but the Confederate flag really appeals to me. The John Deere symbol to me represents a lot of the same things the Confederate flag does. I dont' want to get into that old debate about what the Confederate flag represents. I don't think its racist and I think there is ignorance on the part of the people, especially the media controlled by the NY/Boston based liberal elite.

For me that flag (and middle American culture) represent the antithesis to what I've mentioned above. It represents a more laid back, more wholesome, more innocent time and no for me it just means the "old South" and "traditional America" not necessarily the antebellum period. For me the Confederate flag means getting out of the rat race, an easier carefree lifestyle, knowing what matters most in life, traditional American values, family values and innocence. I'll be moving to Baltimore from a DC suburb soon for grad school and when I posted this question on the Maryland forum it got deleted as "off topic" and a more national thing.

So I'm still wondering, would it be acceptable to fly a Confederate flag in a "border state" like Maryland, West Virginia or Kentucky or Delaware? I've in fact seen a few here in MD includinga bumper sticker that reads "Heritage not Hate".

Has anyone ever seen a non-white person display a Confederate flag? Can't the kids of Chinese or Mexican immigrants who spent their entire lives in Atlanta or Charleston or Nashville feel Southern pride too? Couldn't they also come to hate the Yankees and feel like a southern native? And couldn't they also agree with the values the ideals the flag represents?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 11:10 AM

2,486 posts, read 2,360,503 times
No, it just means you like eating deep fried food and shooting guns.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:14 AM

1,238 posts, read 1,961,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
No, it just means you like eating deep fried food and shooting guns.

Now that was funny!

Old 07-24-2008, 11:21 AM

39 posts, read 108,021 times
I think itís odd for anyone to fly a Confederate flag, but then again, I am not a southerner.

Do I think anyone who does so is automatically a racist? No. I guess I just donít understand the regional pride thing. I have pride as an American, not a Midwesterner. And that is saying something coming from someone who grew up in a place as awesome as Omaha.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:27 AM

5,522 posts, read 12,287,116 times
As an Asian-American who grew up in the deep South, in my experience, it would be very odd for a non-white to fly the Confederate flag. Regardless of what YOU think the flag stands for, a lot of people out there will differ. Still, I'm sure crazier things have been done before, so, whatever, if it makes you feel like a rebel, go ahead and do it. Be prepared for the consequences though.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:28 AM

2,736 posts, read 5,952,125 times
Yes, I think it's odd to fly it if you don't have any kind of cultural/ancestoral attachment to it.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:45 AM

2,758 posts, read 4,922,626 times
Why are you so interested in the Southern good ol' boy lifestyle? I mean there's nothing wrong with repping the South (I do it all of the time) but the guys who wear the John Deer hat, cowboy boots, giant beltbuckle, and carry around the 20 ounce soda bottle filled with spit, and rep the flag tend to be annoying to the 10th degree. I know that I am stereotyping but I just gotta know what does an Asian-American see out of acting this way? I know that some of the good ol' boys may be cool to you but there are some out there who are living stereotypes. It's your life and all but you gotta watchout.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:51 AM

12,284 posts, read 31,765,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post

So I'm still wondering, would it be acceptable to fly a Confederate flag in a "border state" like Maryland, West Virginia or Kentucky or Delaware? I've in fact seen a few here in MD includinga bumper sticker that reads "Heritage not Hate".

Has anyone ever seen a non-white person display a Confederate flag? Can't the kids of Chinese or Mexican immigrants who spent their entire lives in Atlanta or Charleston or Nashville feel Southern pride too? Couldn't they also come to hate the Yankees and feel like a southern native? And couldn't they also agree with the values the ideals the flag represents?
Sorry, but I'm LOL. "heritage not hate" and 3 sentences later you acknowledge that your interpretation of the flag is "hating the yanks".

Is part of southern culture hating northerners? if so...just... wow.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:52 AM

68 posts, read 189,452 times
The civil war was technically a battle between white men. That's why it'd be strange for an asian to fly that flag.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:54 AM

5,522 posts, read 12,287,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocks4 View Post
The civil war was technically a battle between white men. That's why it'd be strange for an asian to fly that flag.
Not entirely true. Ten percent of the Union army was comprised of African-Americans. Robert E. Lee suggested arming slaves to fight for the South, but was resisted (for obvious reasons) until the very end of the war, when it was too late to make a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or