U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 02:28 PM

334 posts, read 1,179,633 times

Advertisements

Now if you remember about a year ago there was that big commotion about the New 7 wonders of the world. Well here's the list.
Chichen ItzaYucatán, MexicoChrist the RedeemerRio de Janeiro, Brazil

ColosseumRome, ItalyGreat Wall of ChinaChinaMachu PicchuCuzco, Perúhttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/88/Peru_Machu_Picchu_Sunset.jpg/60px-Peru_Machu_Picchu_Sunset.jpg (broken link)

PetraJordan

Taj MahalAgra, IndiaAnd one listing has honorary status:Great Pyramid of Giza
(The last remaining ancient wonder of the world)Cairo, Egypt
As usual lately, American got snubbed. My question is what famous landmark would you add to that list from America. Here's my list of good canidates; add more and comment on my list.

Denali
Grand Canyon
Yosemite Valley
Golden Gate Bridge
Mese Verde
Sears Tower
Wrigley Field
Biltmore House
The White House
The Capitol Building
The Statue of Liberty
The Empire State Building
Fenway Park
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 02:34 PM

55 posts, read 64,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsGiantsIndiansfan2008 View Post
Now if you remember about a year ago there was that big commotion about the New 7 wonders of the world. Well here's the list.
Chichen ItzaYucatán, MexicoChrist the RedeemerRio de Janeiro, Brazil

ColosseumRome, ItalyGreat Wall of ChinaChinaMachu PicchuCuzco, Perúhttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/88/Peru_Machu_Picchu_Sunset.jpg/60px-Peru_Machu_Picchu_Sunset.jpg (broken link)

PetraJordan

Taj MahalAgra, IndiaAnd one listing has honorary status:Great Pyramid of Giza
(The last remaining ancient wonder of the world)Cairo, Egypt
As usual lately, American got snubbed. My question is what famous landmark would you add to that list from America. Here's my list of good canidates; add more and comment on my list.

Denali
Grand Canyon
Yosemite Valley
Golden Gate Bridge
Mese Verde
Sears Tower
Wrigley Field
Biltmore House
The White House
The Capitol Building
The Statue of Liberty
Fenway Park
America dosen't have to be in everything. Also why did you put wrigley field? that will never be a wonder of anything because for one its a baseball field. Golden Gate bridge would be my vote though

Old 07-24-2008, 02:36 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,389,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TYGA View Post
America dosen't have to be in everything. Also why did you but wrigley field? that will never be a wounder of anything because for one its a baseball field. Golden Gate bridge would be my vote though
And so is Fenway, in case you missed it.

Old 07-24-2008, 02:39 PM

15,453 posts, read 25,401,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsGiantsIndiansfan2008 View Post
Denali
Grand Canyon
Yosemite Valley
Golden Gate Bridge
Mese Verde
Sears Tower
Wrigley Field
Biltmore House
The White House
The Capitol Building
The Statue of Liberty
Fenway Park
I don't think any of these are worthy of being one of the 7 wonders of the world. The Grand Canyon for maybe one of the 7 NATURAL wonders of the world.

None of the built structures on that list or that old or grand, at least compared to the actual list of the 7 wonders. Out of all the buildings, bridges, and sports facilities listed you can find older and more grand ones elsewhere outside of the US. Mesa Verde would seem to fit into the 7 wonders list more so than any of the other one's. America just doesn't have the history the countries many of these wonders come from.

Old 07-24-2008, 02:42 PM

55 posts, read 64,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
And so is Fenway, in case you missed it.
yes also Fenway

Old 07-24-2008, 02:43 PM

2,370 posts, read 6,994,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I don't think any of these are worthy of being one of the 7 wonders of the world. The Grand Canyon for maybe one of the 7 NATURAL wonders of the world.

None of the built structures on that list or that old or grand, at least compared to the actual list of the 7 wonders. Out of all the buildings, bridges, and sports facilities listed you can find older and more grand ones elsewhere outside of the US. Mesa Verde would seem to fit into the 7 wonders list more so than any of the other one's. America just doesn't have the history the countries many of these wonders come from.
Perhaps this thread could be more considered The 7 Wonders of America.

Old 07-24-2008, 02:47 PM

3,738 posts, read 8,682,749 times
Mt. Rushmore anyone ???

Old 07-24-2008, 02:47 PM

697 posts, read 2,023,890 times
Weren't they also doing polling for the 7 Modern Wonders of the World, or was I just really really drunk when I thought I saw it?

Some of those that you listed like the Golden Gate Bridge may have a chance at a list like that.

Edit:

Nevermind, they did do a 7 Wonders of the Modern World, but it wasn't put together through polling. It seems like the American Society of Civil Engineers compiled a list themselves:

1) Channel Tunnel (Chunnel), between England/France
2) CN Tower, Toronto
3) Empire State Building, New York City
4) Golden Gate Bridge, San Francisco
5) Itaipu Damn, between Brazil/Paraguay
6) Delta Works, Netherlands
7) Panama Canal, Panama

Old 07-24-2008, 11:20 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,319,905 times
the United States can make it into the 7 natural wonders of the world, but not the 7 man made wonders of the world

If i had to choose, it would be The Statue of Liberty, it means the most

Old 07-25-2008, 07:13 AM

1,928 posts, read 4,630,657 times
I vote for the US Interstate Highway System. There's nothing to compare in terms of sheer size, scope and number of miles. I never cease to get amazed every time I go on a road trip at the magnitude of this work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.