Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 07:19 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,530,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I suppose I could have had I known someone would throw a tantrum over it.

I think you expected a response otherwise you wouldn't have thrown out such a insulting title. Don't act all surprised now that someone called you on it.
You seem to me one of those people who have to insult others and their culture to feel better about yourself and yours.

Bless your heart.....I hope you get over this.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:11 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,074,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBeBop View Post
Dave Justice is actually from Cincinnati. However he crossed into Covington KY, every day for high school. He graduated from Covington Latin, the only high school of its type in the Cincinnati area in which they accept students after 6th grade. Basically the students skip 7th and 8th grades. Justice graduated from high school at 16.

To this Northern Kentuckian, everything north of the Ohio River is considered the North, while everything south of Grant County is considered the South. I'm a Greater Cincinnatian who eats Skyline Chili, plays cornhole and roots for the Reds and the Bengals, but I'm also a Kentuckian who eats grits, enjoys horse racing and bleeds Big Blue (Kentucky Basketball).

So am I a Northerner or a Southerner. Dang if I know, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.
I just realized you said South of Grant County which I had to look up to see where it is lol What is everything North of that and south of the river?

Old 07-30-2008, 03:58 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali's Grandma View Post
I think you expected a response otherwise you wouldn't have thrown out such a insulting title. Don't act all surprised now that someone called you on it.
You seem to me one of those people who have to insult others and their culture to feel better about yourself and yours.

Bless your heart.....I hope you get over this.
You know, everyone else let it roll right past, probably because they had no reason to believe I was talking about them. As for those who doth protest too much.... *shrug*

Old 07-30-2008, 04:50 PM

631 posts, read 1,885,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
No hun, I got that from the book GRITS: The Girls Raised in the South Guide to Life

Oh I LOVE the GRITS books. They just crack me up and totally hit the nail on the head as far as Southern culture goes. My hubby, the Yankee, picked it up one day and read a couple pages. He put it back down laughing saying "...yep that pretty much sums you up."

On the topic of the thread, I just find it hard to believe that anyone who has ever spent time in The Bluegrass state can say it is anything other than Southern. I once had someone from Georgia yell at me when I called myself Southern because they thought Kentucky did not qualify as a Southern state. When the truth came out the person in question had never even been in the state of KY.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:32 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Florida and Virginia are Southern States. They, like Texas, are not Deep South states. They are just both essentially Southern. How in the world can people dispute Virginia is beyond me. NOVA is just a tiny little part of Virginia. But tell the people in Roanoke, Richmond, the Hampton Roads, and Appalachia that they are anything but southern and they'll look at you like a fool. Shouldn't be a discussion regarding Virginia.

As for Kentucky. Yes....it is a Southern state similar to both Tennessee and Virginia.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:40 PM

1,119 posts, read 4,197,899 times
Default ...

Kentucky and West Virginia in spirit should be bordering Mississippi and Louisiana..

Old 07-30-2008, 09:35 PM

501 posts, read 1,064,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KentuckyBlue View Post
I was born, raised and currently live in western KY, and I was wondering what the rest of the south's view of kentucky is....southern or not, likes and dislikes about KY, anything really....

I personally think that kentucky is definately southern. I mean I live almost right on the border of ky and indiana and you can really tell the difference when you cross the river. Just sit in a restaraunt in KY and then go to IN and you'll see what I mean. But not only the accents but the whole lifestyle and culture is southern. Tell me what you think!
From living and working in the state, here's what I've determined for myself. Much of the state adheres to a Southern lifestyle, but the northern half of the state has Midwestern restaurants, Midwestern grocery stores, sells Midwestern publications and hosts Midwestern conferences for Midwestern businesses, so you can't say that the state, as a whole, is purely Southern. Pure Southern is Tennessee and below, where there is no question. The northern half is a transitional area where the South starts to turn into the Midwest. Some pockets are more Southern and some pockets are more Midwestern. Depending on which pocket your experience draws from, you'll either think the area is Southern or Midwestern. That's why there are 10 billion threads on this topic and people can never seem to reach a consensus-because people think that their experience is the quintessential Kentucky experience when such an experience doesn't exist.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:15 AM

97 posts, read 766,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehenningsen View Post
Kentucky and West Virginia in spirit should be bordering Mississippi and Louisiana..
I agree with you 100% on that, ehenningsen.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:33 AM

531 posts, read 1,743,507 times
To me,(I've never been to Western KY),KY SEEMS more like the mid-west (I know technically it isn't),but I think that of,say,Parkersburg,WV,or Wheeling,WV as well and even SW PA near the WV line. When I think of South I think of Georgia,the Carolinas,Mississippi,JMO. This could be said of some of the coal mining areas in PA which are tecnically northeast,but are NOTHING like New York city or Boston or Baltimore,etc. I don't think states can be catagorized that easily--ex.there's a world of difference between a rural area of PA and WV and Philadelphia or New York City,Richmond,etc.

Old 07-31-2008, 06:14 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,074,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jzer21 View Post
From living and working in the state, here's what I've determined for myself. Much of the state adheres to a Southern lifestyle, but the northern half of the state has Midwestern restaurants, Midwestern grocery stores, sells Midwestern publications and hosts Midwestern conferences for Midwestern businesses, so you can't say that the state, as a whole, is purely Southern.
Which ones that don't occur in other Southern states?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.