Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 05:44 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,023,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehenningsen View Post
Kentucky and West Virginia in spirit should be bordering Mississippi and Louisiana..
Aren't them Omeehaw folks cute?

Old 08-02-2008, 11:46 AM

11 posts, read 35,034 times
There are differences in the South. Kentucky is part of the true south, but Texas is not part of the southern states it is south west. It may be geographically south, but it is not the south or should I say the "old" south.
The "old" south consist of : Georgia,Tennessee,Kentucky,South Carolina,North Carolina (even if it does has North in it's name) Alabama,and parts of Virginia. These states are where you will find grits, (girls raised in the South) in addition to the food of the same name. Biscuits, sweet tea, fried chicken, BBQ (which is a food and not an item used to grill food on or a cook out) We still say maam and sir, please and thank you in the south.
So yall have a nice day ya hear!

Old 08-02-2008, 12:39 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,606,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourcing Maven View Post
but Texas is not part of the southern states it is south west. It may be geographically south, but it is not the south or should I say the "old" south.
No, it isn't. Texas part of the Southwest that is...if by SW one means inclusion with New Mexico and Arizona. Texas is western South. The latter two are southern West. They are two totally different critters, both historically and culturally.

You have a certain valid point in that most of Texas not part of the "Old South" of course (as it was settled after the WBTS...by other Southerners of course!). But true East Texas is as classic Old South as it comes! And much more so, if measured by the moonlight and magnolias and cotton plantation culture and secessionist sentiment standards, than any part of the Upper South. Not to say that this is making one section, "more Southern" than another, but just to note the fact if by the term "Old South", such is what is meant, then the settled part of Texas at the time is Lower South tried and true.

And c'mon...what is this about fried chicken and sweet tea and BBQ and bisquits and please, and yes ma'am, and no sir, (and y'all and coke and black-eyed peas) not existing in Texas? Good lord, no disrespect, but this is just flat misinformed to the point of being ludicrous!

Last edited by TexasReb; 08-02-2008 at 01:11 PM..

Old 08-02-2008, 02:18 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,029,347 times
The northern part of Kentucky (especially around the Louisville area) is NOT part of the Cultural south. It's more of a hybrid area, with an equal but yet interesting mix of both Southern and Midwestern influences.

Old 08-03-2008, 08:55 AM

2,926 posts, read 8,571,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
The northern part of Kentucky (especially around the Louisville area) is NOT part of the Cultural south. It's more of a hybrid area, with an equal but yet interesting mix of both Southern and Midwestern influences.
True, Northern KY (Boone, Kenton, Campbell Counties) does not seem Southern at all to me. It's very Midwestern and has a lot of German influence. Even Western KY has more of a Midwestern feel to it.

Old 08-04-2008, 06:21 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,080,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
I disagree. There is a midwestern influence but it is definately not equal to the Southern.

Old 08-04-2008, 06:22 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,080,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
True, Northern KY (Boone, Kenton, Campbell Counties) does not seem Southern at all to me. It's very Midwestern and has a lot of German influence. Even Western KY has more of a Midwestern feel to it.
That is funny coming from someone who uses the word "pop" which is as Yankee a term as there is Still love ya though

Old 08-05-2008, 11:18 AM

42 posts, read 109,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Even Western KY has more of a Midwestern feel to it.

I strongly disagree, I'm from western Kentucky and it is definately southern. I live close to the border to IN and it's amazing how different it is when you cross that border. Western KY is very southern in all aspects of the term.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:21 AM

8,978 posts, read 17,288,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KentuckyBlue View Post
I strongly disagree, I'm from western Kentucky and it is definately southern. I live close to the border to IN and it's amazing how different it is when you cross that border. Western KY is very southern in all aspects of the term.
I agree; but I live in Indiana, my opinion is null and void. I do think cities like Henderson and Paducah exude southernness if that makes sense.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:23 AM

594 posts, read 1,044,212 times
The least Southern part of Kentucky is the 71/75/64 triangle. Go outside that and there's pretty much no doubt you're in the South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.