Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 11:31 AM

594 posts, read 1,043,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_eyedgirl View Post
Crap, "you guys" has started creeping into my vocabulary. I think I need a Re-Southernification crash course. Could never say "soda" or "pop" though. Just seems abnormal. No matter how long I am out of Kentucky it will always be Coke.
I'll say "soft drink" before I'll ever say "soda" or "pop" or, worst of all, "soda pop."

Old 08-06-2008, 11:44 AM

2,667 posts, read 6,776,730 times
I'll preface this by saying I have not read this thread ... but I am from southern Alabama.

For the most part, people in that region do not really think twice about Kentucky - other than when they might happen to be playing Auburn or Alabama in football. To that same respect, we recognize that Kentucky is in the SEC (southeastern conference), but do not really think of Kentucky as a "southern state". Or, more accurately, I guess it is considered semi-southern, but not part of the "deep south" which is typically just called "the south" by us. In general (according to most from my region of origin), Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia, Northern/Central Florida, and South Carolina carry the "deep south" tag. Outside of that, a state might be "kind-of southern", but not completely southern.

As for a couple of responses that I did read, I agree that WV and KY are kindof southern in spirit ... but VA? Never been there, but I don't see VA as southern personally.

Maybe I am out of touch though. Was born in and lived in Alabama for all of my life practically until recently, but I have always said "you guys" and never would say "ya'll". But I will say that the thought of saying "soda pop" disgusts me .

Old 08-06-2008, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscottscotto View Post
I'll preface this by saying I have not read this thread ... but I am from southern Alabama.

For the most part, people in that region do not really think twice about Kentucky
I don't know about that...Gulf Shores is teeming with Kentuckians every spring. Maybe your average Joe Bob doesn't think twice about Ky, but those in the tourism industry sure do. Beleedat!

Old 08-06-2008, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatManDoo View Post
I don't know about that...Gulf Shores is teeming with Kentuckians every spring. Maybe your average Joe Bob doesn't think twice about Ky, but those in the tourism industry sure do. Beleedat!
Gulf Shores teems with people from everywhere each spring/summer, even this average Joe Bob that was raised 45 minutes away from there. Anyhow, I believe tourism doesn't specify those from Kentucky in their marketing efforts , but rather anyone in the nation seeking a beach vacation.

Old 08-06-2008, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Gulf Shores teems with people from everywhere each spring/summer, even this average Joe Bob that was raised 45 minutes away from there. Anyhow, I believe tourism doesn't specify those from Kentucky in their marketing efforts , but rather anyone in the nation seeking a beach vacation.
Then explain the big "Welcome Kentuckians! Thank God you're here to fill our coffers!" sign on I-65 south of Birmingham.

Old 08-06-2008, 01:12 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,275,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatManDoo View Post
Then explain the big "Welcome Kentuckians! Thank God you're here to fill our coffers!" sign on I-65 south of Birmingham.

I don't remember seeing that sign when I have been through there

Old 08-06-2008, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC 38 View Post
I don't remember seeing that sign when I have been through there
It's right behind the sign that says, "Hey Kentuckians, bluegrass is ugly and basketball is for schools who can't play football. Welcome to Alabama!"

Old 08-06-2008, 02:51 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,072,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_eyedgirl View Post
Crap, "you guys" has started creeping into my vocabulary. I think I need a Re-Southernification crash course. Could never say "soda" or "pop" though. Just seems abnormal. No matter how long I am out of Kentucky it will always be Coke.
My kids all say both "you guys" and "soda". It's ok to say it, really

Old 08-06-2008, 02:56 PM

Quote:
It's right behind the sign that says, "Hey Kentuckians, bluegrass is ugly and basketball is for schools who can't play football. Welcome to Alabama!"

Well-played, worthy adversary.

All kidding aside, I've enjoyed my visits to Alabama. Don't have a thing in the world against it.

Old 08-06-2008, 03:00 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,072,816 times
Quote:

For the most part, people in that region do not really think twice about Kentucky - other than when they might happen to be playing Auburn or Alabama in football. To that same respect, we recognize that Kentucky is in the SEC (southeastern conference), but do not really think of Kentucky as a "southern state". Or, more accurately, I guess it is considered semi-southern, but not part of the "deep south" which is typically just called "the south" by us. In general (according to most from my region of origin), Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia, Northern/Central Florida, and South Carolina carry the "deep south" tag. Outside of that, a state might be "kind-of southern", but not completely southern.

As for a couple of responses that I did read, I agree that WV and KY are kindof southern in spirit ... but VA? Never been there, but I don't see VA as southern personally.

Maybe I am out of touch though. Was born in and lived in Alabama for all of my life practically until recently, but I have always said "you guys" and never would say "ya'll". But I will say that the thought of saying "soda pop" disgusts me .

Have you ever been to Kentucky? I noticed you have left out Arkansas and North Carolina as well. Why is that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.