U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 08-08-2008, 06:50 AM
 
Location: Kentucky
6,758 posts, read 14,565,844 times
Reputation: 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC 38 View Post
Indiana and Western KY are VERY different. One is much more southern, and one is very much not southern.
There are alot of people who consider Southern Indiana as pretty Southern in their own right, as a matter of fact I have heard it said that people in Indy think that Corydon and South should secede and become part of Kentucky.

 
Old 08-08-2008, 06:57 AM
 
Location: 46201
6,748 posts, read 7,647,017 times
Reputation: 3894
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
There are alot of people who consider Southern Indiana as pretty Southern in their own right, as a matter of fact I have heard it said that people in Indy think that Corydon and South should secede and become part of Kentucky.
LOL, I would be one of those people at times. I do think southern Indiana has southern influence, just like parts of KY have a midwestern influence. I do think there is mutual influence, but I still think most of Kentucky is much more southern and much of southern Indiana is much more midwstern. I don't think it has anything to do with the farms; I mean Iowa and Michigan have farms too; there is something intangible that I can't really explain. But I have lived in Kentucky and Indiana; and from my experience, they are VERY different, at least where I have been.
 
Old 08-08-2008, 08:39 AM
 
Location: Kentucky
6,758 posts, read 14,565,844 times
Reputation: 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC 38 View Post
But I have lived in Kentucky and Indiana; and from my experience, they are VERY different, at least where I have been.
That I agree with completely!
 
Old 08-08-2008, 10:22 AM
 
Location: New York City
2,326 posts, read 5,973,376 times
Reputation: 1050
I grew up in Northeast TN, and my mom was born and raised in Barboursville, KY--in the SE part of KY. Her dad was a coal miner and they were very poverty-stricken growing up.

My mother and her parents moved to East TN in the '60s to "escape eastern KY's poverty and oppression." My mom always had negative experiences in that area, and hates to go back to visit relatives occasionally.

Anyway, I love the beauty of the Lexington area/Frankfort area and love the rolling hills of middle and Western KY. Eastern KY is a very depressing place to live--in my experience and my opinion. It's a beautiful area in certain parts, but the economy is down and depressed.

I've always felt a bit bad for KY, coming from TN. They seemed to always have "second rate" tourist spots, cities, industries, and were slighted, in comparison to other southern states such as TN, NC, GA, VA, FL, etc. I always saw KY as on par with MS, AR, AL, & WV, moresoe than the other states mentioned.
 
Old 08-08-2008, 11:51 AM
 
Location: Kentucky
6,758 posts, read 14,565,844 times
Reputation: 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
I grew up in Northeast TN, and my mom was born and raised in Barboursville, KY--in the SE part of KY. Her dad was a coal miner and they were very poverty-stricken growing up.

My mother and her parents moved to East TN in the '60s to "escape eastern KY's poverty and oppression." My mom always had negative experiences in that area, and hates to go back to visit relatives occasionally.

Anyway, I love the beauty of the Lexington area/Frankfort area and love the rolling hills of middle and Western KY. Eastern KY is a very depressing place to live--in my experience and my opinion. It's a beautiful area in certain parts, but the economy is down and depressed.

I've always felt a bit bad for KY, coming from TN. They seemed to always have "second rate" tourist spots, cities, industries, and were slighted, in comparison to other southern states such as TN, NC, GA, VA, FL, etc. I always saw KY as on par with MS, AR, AL, & WV, moresoe than the other states mentioned.

I agree, i wish KY would have jumped more on the tourism bandwagon when we had the chance. There are some wonderful areas of kentucky but think of how much better off we would be if we had the tourism dollars coming in.
 
Old 08-08-2008, 12:42 PM
 
Location: St. Louis, MO
3,746 posts, read 3,242,232 times
Reputation: 660
Kentucky is the Upper South, not the Deep South. Kentucky, Tennessee, Virginia, North Carolina, West Virginia, and Arkansas comprise the region known as the "Upper South." While Kentucky has Midwestern influence, its pretty apparant in Louisville, Lexington, and most of the Northern half of Kentucky lean more Southern. I have heard unmistakably Southern accents in quite numerous numbers throughout the whole state. You don't need to be as Southern as the Deep South to be considered Southern. The South, like the Midwest, is not uniformly defined everywhere you go. People from the Upper Midwest tend to be the same way. If you're not as Midwestern as they are, you're not Midwestern, and if you're not as Southern as they are, you're not Southern. To me its an extremely narrow-minded way of thinking that two areas which are located on the northernmost and southernmost extents of the country believe that they can judge what is and what isn't part of their region. The Lower Midwest and the Upper South comprise the two areas of the country in which influences slightly overlap. THe Lower Midwest has some Southern influences, the Upper South has some Midwestern influences. But to say that a few influences from another region can automatically mean that place can't belong to a region it has more in common with just doesn't make any sense to me nor would I imagine to any rational person.
 
Old 08-08-2008, 01:29 PM
 
Location: Kentucky
6,758 posts, read 14,565,844 times
Reputation: 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Kentucky is the Upper South, not the Deep South. Kentucky, Tennessee, Virginia, North Carolina, West Virginia, and Arkansas comprise the region known as the "Upper South." While Kentucky has Midwestern influence, its pretty apparant in Louisville, Lexington, and most of the Northern half of Kentucky lean more Southern. I have heard unmistakably Southern accents in quite numerous numbers throughout the whole state. You don't need to be as Southern as the Deep South to be considered Southern. The South, like the Midwest, is not uniformly defined everywhere you go. People from the Upper Midwest tend to be the same way. If you're not as Midwestern as they are, you're not Midwestern, and if you're not as Southern as they are, you're not Southern. To me its an extremely narrow-minded way of thinking that two areas which are located on the northernmost and southernmost extents of the country believe that they can judge what is and what isn't part of their region. The Lower Midwest and the Upper South comprise the two areas of the country in which influences slightly overlap. THe Lower Midwest has some Southern influences, the Upper South has some Midwestern influences. But to say that a few influences from another region can automatically mean that place can't belong to a region it has more in common with just doesn't make any sense to me nor would I imagine to any rational person.
Exactly!
 
Old 08-08-2008, 01:33 PM
 
Location: Kentucky
2,917 posts, read 5,115,989 times
Reputation: 1142
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I agree, i wish KY would have jumped more on the tourism bandwagon when we had the chance. There are some wonderful areas of kentucky but think of how much better off we would be if we had the tourism dollars coming in.
Uhhh Missy, do you not know Ky's State Park system is one of the best in the nation?? There's plenty of tourism coming into Lexington, Louisville, Mammoth Cave National Park, Cumberland Falls, and other areas.
 
Old 08-08-2008, 01:52 PM
 
Location: Kentucky
6,758 posts, read 14,565,844 times
Reputation: 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Uhhh Missy, do you not know Ky's State Park system is one of the best in the nation?? There's plenty of tourism coming into Lexington, Louisville, Mammoth Cave National Park, Cumberland Falls, and other areas.
Not to the extent it used to I don't think and definitely not what Tennessee gets.
 
Old 08-08-2008, 06:00 PM
 
Location: Chicago
36,079 posts, read 55,982,669 times
Reputation: 24749
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC 38 View Post
I am going to have to interject, and disagree. I certainly think there is some midwestern influence in Ky, esp in L-ville and NKY. However, in other parts, it is a whole other world. Evansville, IN and Henderson, KY are very different places. So are Owensboro and Spencer County. There is some similarities as you would expect; but I have experienced it first hand, Southern Indiana and Western KY are VERY different. One is much more southern, and one is very much not southern.
I guess it's a matter of perspective then. From way up here in the northern part of the Midwest, southern Illinois/Southern Indiana/northwestern Kentucky are more or less indistinguishable, and all part of the midwestern-to-southern transition area I was talking about earlier.

Cincinnati and its influence on Kentucky is a whole other deal. Over there you're talking about Appalachia which is its own special breed. And Appalachian isn't just a southern thing either; as a former Pittsburgh resident I can tell you it extends at least as far north as Pennsylvania, if not into portions of New York. Southern Appalachia and Northern Appalachia are different in their own ways, but it's pretty easy to see the similarities too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.



All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top