U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-25-2008, 09:04 AM

503 posts, read 1,163,499 times

Advertisements

I have been looking around at many different threads and have narrowed it down to 3 top places for our family. We do want 4 seasons, with milder winters and good walkable city or large town. Festivals and sporting events near by also is a plus. And being from NJ, we would like to live somewhere where we would not fit in.

Our top picks are Charlotteville Va, Charlotte NC, and Nashville Tn. The last being a little stretch for us, since we do not like country music, but it looks like a really nice area (on paper that is). If anyone has an insight on the good and bad comparrisons of these areas it may help us concentrate on one and one area. We have visited Charlotte, NC and have stayed in VA in the Blue Ridge Mountains (an area we were looking at to relocate, but it didn't fit us-too much open space!)

As far a jobs go we need to be in an area building up since we are in the construction side of work. Schools are also a great concern, but I have done some research on this and there seems to be many quality schools around.

Thanks Familymom
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 09:11 AM

6,864 posts, read 8,016,978 times
I think Nashville is a fun town. It is influenced by country music; but it is not all country music. Many people I know tolerate the country music for tourism purposes; but secretly loathe country music. Nashville is not a terribly walkable town, but in some areas it is (downtown, Vandy). Nashville also has a rail line, Music City star, and plans to expand it in the future. If I was ever going to move, Nashville would be on my very short list of places I would consider relocating too. I think it is a great town!

Old 07-25-2008, 09:43 AM

4,794 posts, read 9,834,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC 38 View Post
I think Nashville is a fun town. It is influenced by country music; but it is not all country music. Many people I know tolerate the country music for tourism purposes; but secretly loathe country music. Nashville is not a terribly walkable town, but in some areas it is (downtown, Vandy). Nashville also has a rail line, Music City star, and plans to expand it in the future. If I was ever going to move, Nashville would be on my very short list of places I would consider relocating too. I think it is a great town!
Hahaha. That was me. I don't care much for country music (and haven't been exposed to it very much). But for a week in Nashville I enjoyed going out to the country music bars and seeing shows at the Opry. And I've never been to a place that had more country music and Christian music radio stations! Of course I couldn't rent a car with XM radio. But a week of it was enough for me. I was more than glad to sit down on the plane and turn on my ipod (once we got up to our cruising altitude of course). Nashville is large enough that you don't have to be into the country music scene to survive or have a good time there, but the country music industry is a HUGE part of Nashville's identity.

On to the topic, however....

These are all very different cities, IMO. Nashville is a reasonably large metro area with a bit of grittiness to it. Charlotte is reasonably large too, but much less grit. Charlottesville is a small town surrounded by not much else.

For your criteria, I think Nashville would be the best bet. Seems to be a growing, up-and-coming area. If you don't want to fit in, I think Nashville is the choice, because there are lots of Jersey refugees in Charlotte (meaning you probably would fit in there more than you'd want to).

Find city-data user DianeGem. She and her family moved from NJ to Nashville, and she spares no expense in time to tell the NJ forum how amazing Nashville is. She can give you some perspective on what it's like to move to Nashville from NJ. If you want some perspective on what it's like to move from NJ to Charlotte, ask ANYONE in Charlotte!! haha.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.