U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 02:28 PM

2,807 posts, read 3,976,553 times
I think this mostly depends on regional media as well as national media. Living in the Northeast Corridor, you hear about Boston, NY, Philly, Baltimore, and DC very often. I'm sure LA, San Diego, Seattle and SF dominate conversation in the West Coast; so on and so forth.

As for large cities that are underrepresented in every sort of media, I'd say Jacksonville, Phoenix, San Antonio, Memphis and Oklahoma City. For their size (all above 500K), you'd expect to know/hear a little more about them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 02:33 PM

1,712 posts, read 1,421,887 times
Columbus, Ohio - I say this from experience, because the only thing I knew about it was its status as capital city of Ohio. It's always been overshadowed by Cincinnati and Cleveland.

If you're not a racing fan, then you probably don't hear much about Indianapolis either. Similar size to Columbus, Ohio - around 700,000 people. It might not count for the "most ignored" cities list because of its importance in racing, though.

Wichita - 350K, don't hear much about it.

Charlotte - don't hear much about it outside of Atlanta and the Mid-Atlantic.

Virginia Beach - 400K, largest city in Virginia, but it's basically a suburb of Norfolk.

Old 07-25-2008, 02:35 PM
JJG

10,005 posts, read 9,627,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
unfortunately, nowadays philly & b'more are more known for being crime zones than anything else...

but, yeah, bay area or not, san jose should definitely be better known, isn't it approaching a million?
Trust me, population means NOTHING.

Fort Worth is bigger than:
  • Memphis
  • Charlotte
  • Baltimore
  • Boston
  • Milwaukee
  • Seattle
  • Nashville
  • Denver
  • D.C.
  • Vegas
  • Atlanta
  • K.C.
  • Cleveland
  • Miami
  • Oakland
  • Minneapolis
  • St. Louis
  • Tampa
  • Cincinnati
  • Pittsburg
  • and (even before Katrina) New Orleans
....... and yet, ALL of those cities are more well known then Fort Worth. And each one of them has at least one sports team. WHAT'S UP WITH THAT !?!?!?

The point is anyway, population doesn't make your city more popular. It's something more......

Old 07-25-2008, 02:35 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,923,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obiwon kenobi View Post
what cities in america do you think has the least recongition as for not in everyday talk or news or popular culture?
You never hear about Milwaukee, San Antonio, or Jacksonville, FL really.

Old 07-25-2008, 02:37 PM

69 posts, read 211,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I would add...

Kansas City

Birmingham

Indianapolis

Columbus Ohio
I don't think Birmingham is classified as being a big city, the other 3 i agree with

Louisville, Nashville, and Albuquerque are 3 other canidates

Old 07-25-2008, 02:39 PM

357 posts, read 1,141,400 times
St. Louis. I don't think a movie has taken place in St. Louis since "Meet Me in St. Louis."

Old 07-25-2008, 02:39 PM

6,971 posts, read 12,071,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Trust me, population means NOTHING.

Fort Worth is bigger than:
  • Memphis
  • Charlotte
  • Baltimore
  • Boston
  • Milwaukee
  • Seattle
  • Nashville
  • Denver
  • D.C.
  • Vegas
  • Atlanta
  • K.C.
  • Cleveland
  • Miami
  • Oakland
  • Minneapolis
  • St. Louis
  • Tampa
  • Cincinnati
  • Pittsburg
  • and (even before Katrina) New Orleans
....... and yet, ALL of those cities are more well known then Fort Worth. And each one of them has at least one sports team. WHAT'S UP WITH THAT !?!?!?

The point is anyway, population doesn't make your city more popular. It's something more......
maybe because its tied in with Dallas? i'm not sure if its in the shadow, but whenever someone mentions Dallas, i always think DFW as one big area

Old 07-25-2008, 02:42 PM

4,388 posts, read 11,318,350 times
A few i disagree with

Milwaukee - i do hear about it every now and than for its art museum and riverwalk, its defienently not ignored

San Antonio - I always hear about their riverwalk and food

Phoenix - Always hear about the old people and sprawl, how hot it is, how bad it is etc. its really not ignored

Baltimore - Crime ALWAYS talked about, urban blight, inner harbor and sports teams, its definently not ignored, just underrated

Philly - See Philly except replace inner harbor with all the places of interest like art museum, architecture, historical places etc

St. Louis - I hear about its crime sometimes and i also hear about the gateway arch sometimes, its not completely ignored, just underrated

Louisville - Talked about a lot as being a nice city

Nashville - for its music scene

Kansas city - This city gets recognition a lot for its museum and art scene, fountains too

Indianapolis - Indy 500 speedway makes it unignored

I do agree with Birmingham, definenlty

Old 07-25-2008, 02:44 PM

15,957 posts, read 25,125,284 times
DFW is almost 6.5 million now..fourth largest metropolitan area in the USA.

Old 07-25-2008, 02:45 PM

69 posts, read 211,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethewest View Post
St. Louis. I don't think a movie has taken place in St. Louis since "Meet Me in St. Louis."
St. Louis is not ignored, especially with the cardinals being one of the more popular teams in baseball not named the Yankees, or red sox

Austin
El Paso
Sacramento
Portland, Ore
Tuscon

just to name a few more
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.