Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 05:12 PM

13 posts, read 82,737 times

Advertisements

My wife and I want to eventually move to a smaller city in the Midwest to raise our family. We are currently looking into Kansas City or Indianapolis. I would appreciate any suggestions if you are knowledgeable about these cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 06:00 PM

6,339 posts, read 11,084,820 times
I've lived in both. I prefer Indianapolis for several reasons. The economy is stronger in Indy. The people are actually nicer and in most cases friendlier than the Kansas City area as well as less pretentious. The cost of living is also lower in the central Indiana region though I'd hardly say the Kansas City area is expensive.

Kansas City probably has a bit more culture and entertainment facilities than Indy. But the KC area is also about 25% larger than Indy. My favorite things about KC are the BBQ, steaks and Mexican restaurants.

Old 07-26-2008, 07:12 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,827,879 times
Personally, I'd go right in the middle, St. Louis.

But Kansas City is a fine place to live. About 1.9 million metro. MLB, NFL, and MLS teams. The Missouri side (from my understanding) tends to have more culture and urban areas, and the Kansas side is mostly suburbs.

I'd say both KC and Indianapolis are similar in cost.

Old 07-26-2008, 07:33 PM

18 posts, read 48,597 times
They both are probably the same in cost of living, things to do, and size.

Old 07-27-2008, 12:30 AM

1,734 posts, read 5,687,679 times
I would go for KC simply for that BBQ lol

Old 07-27-2008, 07:15 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,859,963 times
Kansas City has a lot of suburbs that people flock to for raising kids. Overland Park, Kansas, was just named 6th or 7th best place in America to live. I prefer the Missouri side, though. Lee's Summit is really nice. The schools are great in most suburbs, and there's an incredible amount of stuff to keep kids entertained.
World's of Fun, Missouri Town, Union Station, which has Science City, lot's of water parks big and small... If you're into going to "the lake", there's plenty of them right inside the metro area. For culture, there's a youth symphony and the Coterie Theater, which is a live theater that is geared towards youth. There's a lot more stuff if you look into it.
If you want to live in the city, Brookside is one of the better neighborhoods. The KC school district isn't good, but there's good private schools close by.
The economy in Kansas City is diverse and stable. It's not fantastic and booming at the current moment, but it's certainly not horrible, by any means. Not sure how it compares to Indianapolis in that respect.
Everybody has different experiences, I guess, but I've found that KC has very pleasant and friendly people. Much less snobbish than what I've experienced in other places.

Old 08-23-2008, 11:18 PM

4 posts, read 33,809 times
Default KC all the way

I would definitely choose KC hands down! Kansas City has the entertainment, culture, history, and charm. They also have great schools and a good economy. Great pro sports tradition and very nice people. One of the best places to live in the country if you ask me.

Old 08-24-2008, 10:36 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
I'd go for KC as well

Old 08-24-2008, 10:43 AM

351 posts, read 649,697 times
Both are great cities and I've found them to be almost identical in culture, size, look, crime, etc.

One of the great things about Indy is that it's not far from Chicago, Louisville, St. Louis, Cincinnati, and other major cities. KC is close to....Omaha. lol. And St. Louis which IS cool. But that's about it.

I think Indy might be just a little cheaper, too. But Kansas City's job market is entirely better and the economy in the KC area is much more sound.

Old 08-24-2008, 10:57 AM

6,339 posts, read 11,084,820 times
Kansas City's current job market is anything but sound. The unemployment rate jumped dramatically in recent months and layoffs have been announced by at least a couple of large companies. Sprint is in tough financial shape and the automotive plants in the area are just about holding their own but little else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.