U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 12:45 AM

835 posts, read 1,509,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
Why are you being so harsh on the South. If you have an issue with children changing "our" culture, then you have a problem with the future of this whole planet Nintendo Wii, Cellphones, and Myspace.com are worldwide.
Maybe I'm just sore because I see this happening to my city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 12:47 AM

835 posts, read 1,509,850 times
Well I dunno how bad it'll be in 2040 because this article says they predict 86% of Americans will be obese by 2030.

Wall-E's World? 86% of Americans Could Be Fat by 2030 | Wired Science from Wired.com

Old 07-29-2008, 12:55 AM

3,460 posts, read 2,479,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
One possibility I see is that in 2040 there won't be a USA. There will be some turmoil like another Civil War that divides our nation, mainly political motives but also resources. Each state will become it's own nation, some more powerful than others. Most of the Southern states except GA, TX, FL, and possibly TN and NC will become third world countries with lots of poverty. Georgia will be a good source of agriculture, technology, and commerce, and Atlanta will be a power national capital. Florida's economy will be flourished by tourism. Texas will have a totalitarian/dictatorship government. Some of the Midwestern states will be powerful due to their industry. Michagan will be powerful and infuential, but struggle with poverty. IL and MN will be good. New York state will also be powerful, and California will be the most powerful nation and even change it's name to the United States of California, as all the present counties will become states. California will be like the USA is today. It will have it's own president, a bi-cameral legisature, capitalistic views, and a superpower and police in world affairs with its powerful military. They will occasionaly get into wars with other nations as well as former U.S. states for different reasons, but the one reason they will use is to defend their freedom.
That sounds a lot like the book 'Friday'.

Old 07-29-2008, 02:25 AM

2,222 posts, read 4,454,935 times
Quote:
Sorry, didn't mean to make you feel that way. I actually left out the west because the west is making progress, as well.
Oh, no. It's not just you. It's threads on CD like "Which is better? North or South" and all the debates that go on accordingly, and the fact that we seem to feel forgotten by D.C. But then again, who doesn't? This is off topic now...

Back on topic. SEAandATL and I seem to be speaking a similar language. Read The Nine Nations of North America to get an idea of it. I think we'll look something like the map I found and posted on an earlier thread called "Balkanized North America." It just makes sense with all the regional differences and disagreements and with the economy heading the way it is and everything. I think people are getting really fed up with "business as usual."

Old 07-29-2008, 02:50 AM

2,441 posts, read 3,773,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
One possibility I see is that in 2040 there won't be a USA. There will be some turmoil like another Civil War that divides our nation, mainly political motives but also resources. Each state will become it's own nation, some more powerful than others. Most of the Southern states except GA, TX, FL, and possibly TN and NC will become third world countries with lots of poverty. Georgia will be a good source of agriculture, technology, and commerce, and Atlanta will be a power national capital. Florida's economy will be flourished by tourism. Texas will have a totalitarian/dictatorship government. Some of the Midwestern states will be powerful due to their industry. Michagan will be powerful and infuential, but struggle with poverty. IL and MN will be good. New York state will also be powerful, and California will be the most powerful nation and even change it's name to the United States of California, as all the present counties will become states. California will be like the USA is today. It will have it's own president, a bi-cameral legisature, capitalistic views, and a superpower and police in world affairs with its powerful military. They will occasionaly get into wars with other nations as well as former U.S. states for different reasons, but the one reason they will use is to defend their freedom.
I doubt this will happen only 30 years from now. I think 2140 would be a more accurate view of when this could happen.

Old 07-29-2008, 05:06 AM

12,676 posts, read 18,861,966 times
The USA won't be hi-tech, the people are too backwards and the government isn't that progressive to support or want that, due to the people once again. ASIA will be high-tech though. California as well. But not the U.S.A. as a whole.

I think the demographics will continue to shift with a significantly higher Latino population, and people will have to deal with, and the non-Latino ones that grow up in that reality, will not have a problem with it.

Also, due to constant wars and American military pretty much everywhere in the world, I think we'll have a very very high veteran population in the U.S., with many physical and mental disabilities in all of the cities and towns, and everyone will know people directly who were effected. Homelessness of ALL kinds will be rampant, due to either rampant drug abuse, high housing costs, or PTS as a veteran.

Education has been slipping for years in the U.S., and I don't see any change there. The U.S. will continue to have lower and lower international test scores, and as the economy tanks due to constant wars, the U.S. will become a much less desireable place for intelligent educated people to come internationally. WHen they stop coming to the U.S., and choose Canada or Australia or NZ or elsewhere, maybe even China. Then we'll be left with our own population to be the doctors, enginners, and such...and see a real low output because of it.

I also see that as other countries replace the U.S. as economic powers, the United States will still be a very desireable place to visit. Much of it will continue to be bought up by other nations, and most places will develop into their tourist areas for an international clintele. Foreigners will demand that we build a decent train system to connect places and will likely finance it.

We'll still be known for producing interesting musicians and altheletes, and the world will come searching for those types to bring to their own countries and give a ton of money to play there with their skills. However, due to abysmal healthcare, many foreign visitors will buy emergency services through Canada that if there is any emergency accident whatsoever, some private firm in Canada will fly a helicoptor and drag them out as quickly as possible, and strangely the cost of helicoptors from Canada will still be significantly cheaper than even one night in a hospital bed in America for a foreigner without insurance.

Old 07-29-2008, 07:03 AM

6,747 posts, read 7,641,716 times
I don't think there is going to be much difference between now and 2040. Sure, technology will evolve, but for the most part, things will be similar to the way they are now. All you folks rambling about doomsday scenarios are laughable. People have been claiming doomsday is upon us for centuries. My grandmother thought that the USA would collapse before the 1980's. I guess you doomsday people prove my point; nothing will change, not even the tin foil hat clubbers!

Old 07-29-2008, 07:40 AM

18,269 posts, read 2,922,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
I'll be 47 by 2040

wow that mean you are 15?

Old 07-29-2008, 07:43 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,554,210 times
Quote:
Well, that does make sense, but every generation comes out a little bit diffrent than the ones before it, no matter what region you're in.
Well, he does have a good point. The current crop of young southerners do tend to be considerably less "southern" in the areas where there has been a lot of people from outside the south moving. This is for both the kids of the transplant and the native.

Old 07-29-2008, 07:44 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,554,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnord View Post
Well, I don't know about 2040, but I was able to find the time masheen and brought back some pics from 2505.

President Camacho and his motorcade:

The "Amero", as mentioned by another poster:

Costco-land:

Cable TV:

FOX news:

Moderator cut: image removed

Planning ahead:

Post brought to you by Carl's Jr. "F*ck you, I'm eating!"
Great movie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.