Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2016, 05:50 PM

286 posts, read 294,909 times

Advertisements

I'm born and raised in upstate new york, i love the mountains and forests and snow, when our summers are like last year 60-80 no humidity not a lot of storms its perfection

are there cities where i can find mild, low humidity summers and mild winters aside from so cal

also, i do enjoy the dallas area a lot, how bad is the summer heat there, is it a vegas heat or a dont go outside or you will be soaked in sweat like florida?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 05:57 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,881,270 times
Try Albuquerque. Dallas summers are much closer to Florida than Vegas. Hot and humid.

Old 02-05-2016, 12:07 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,741,304 times
Depends on what you mean by a "city".
Santa Fe is a most beautiful small city. It's the capitol of New Mexico.
It's a truly magical area.
I used to live there. I loved it. Beautiful, magical, wonderful.
Summers are hot but it's a dry heat. It's at 7000 ft. It's not like Phoenix re; heat (way hot!) or even Albuquerque.
Winters get snow but not a lot but up into the mountains, obviously more.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Fe,_New_Mexico

Old 02-05-2016, 02:49 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,470,077 times
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Sedona, Arizona

I mean they aren't cities but they are close to what you like.

Old 02-05-2016, 02:55 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,805,986 times
You pretty much need to be in a Mediterranean climate, which in the U.S. only exists in coastal California. The rest of the country you will need to decide whether you want mild winters/hot summers or mild summers/cold winters.

Phoenix has the kind of winters you seek, but their summers are brutal (but its a dry heat). Albuquerque might be a good compromise, but they do get cold, snowy winters. Amarillo is a bit too extreme on both ends of the spectrum, with cold, harsh winters and hot summers.

Old 02-05-2016, 02:56 PM

27,182 posts, read 43,876,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfriss92 View Post
I'm born and raised in upstate new york, i love the mountains and forests and snow, when our summers are like last year 60-80 no humidity not a lot of storms its perfection

are there cities where i can find mild, low humidity summers and mild winters aside from so cal

also, i do enjoy the dallas area a lot, how bad is the summer heat there, is it a vegas heat or a dont go outside or you will be soaked in sweat like florida?
You could check out Western NC in/around Asheville or SW Virginia in/around Roanoke. Summers aren't that humid (and just a few months long) and while there is winter it's nowhere near what you get in Upstate NY. If you want a big city you might consider Denver. It doesn't get the summer humidity, winters are surprisingly mild in terms of snow/ice and it's one of the sunniest cities in the US.

Old 02-05-2016, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Sedona, Arizona

I mean they aren't cities but they are close to what you like.
Santa Fe is a small city. I'm getting different numbers on the various web-sites but the population is over 65,000. That's a small city.
It's the capitol of New Mexico, it has a thriving art scene, a world famous opera (at a gorgeous out-door theater), incredibly good restaurants, a fascinating cultural history, a diverse population ... that's what comes to mind at the moment.

Sedona is completely different. It has a population of just over 10,000. The land there is stunning but it's a tourist trap with strip malls and lots of hotels and it's just disgusting. I was shocked when i first visited. It's not at all a city. And, for the almighty dollar, people have really messed with a very special area. It should have been preserved. I can't say for sure but i don't think it's what the o.p. is looking for.

Santa Fe may or may not be. But writing about it makes me want to go back. I just don't do well in dry heat. Although it only bothered me for a couple of months during the summer and i experienced some of the most beautiful summer storms during those two hot months. But not hot like Phoenix or Tuscon.

Oh and i just remembered ... the stars on a moonless night are out of this world ... incredible. And in winter ... on a cold night with pinon burning in fireplaces ... ahhhh, do live for! And great hiking, mountain biking, good skiing up at higher elevation and ... i could go on and on.

Last edited by blueskywalker; 02-05-2016 at 07:10 PM..

Old 02-05-2016, 06:57 PM

14,673 posts, read 14,635,860 times
Seattle/Tacoma. You can look out at Mt Ranier if you get homesick.

Old 02-05-2016, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Seattle/Tacoma. You can look out at Mt Ranier if you get homesick.
If you like rain! Beautiful city though.

Salt Lake City is another nice city.
Yes there are a lot of Mormons (the religion may seem odd but i actually appreciate Mormon people speaking generally) but the city is changing and there are plenty of non-Mormons and the UofU is there and it's beautiful with the Wasatch Mtns.
And i heard recently that they elected an openly gay major (Jackie Biskupski) . Wow. That's a big deal for Salt Lake which i guess now is fairly liberal despite the very conservative rest of the state.
The city is relatively mild in the winter and there is some of the best skiing in the country not too far from up the canyon ... Snow Bird and Alta. And there's Park City (Sundance Film Festival every year) also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.