U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 06:05 PM

118 posts, read 496,278 times

Advertisements

Has anyone just up and went off to a place all alone? The reason I ask is I'm dying to see Seattle or Denver and cannot get my friends to come with me! I'm 19.. I'm not worried about safety really, jsut having things to do.

Any advice or experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 08:14 PM

2,235 posts, read 5,366,585 times
I've been to Denver by myself, and Philly, Vegas, Boise, Boston, D.C., Miami, Minneapolis, even overseas to Ireland, etc., etc. In other words, I travel a lot, and usually by myself. I like to wander, and my interests are esoteric, so traveling companions don't work out so well. I've never been overly concerned about safety either, no reason it should be any more dangerous then spending time in your hometown. Do some research first, (try this great site called City Data/Forums ) and find out which neighborhoods to avoid at all costs. As for things to do, do whatever you want. I've been to see Cher by myself in Vegas, no big deal. As for dining, I've been to fancy restaurants, but I go during off hours, when there isn't a line out the door, and I'm tying up a table by myself. Ethnic restaurants are great, they're cheap, tasty, and you always seem to see some solo diners there. No one pays the slightest attention. Just be sure and tip well, to encourage good service for single diners.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:24 PM

11,177 posts, read 22,388,331 times
I very suddenly and randomly went online after I got laid off recently and booked flights/hotels to 16 European countries by myself for 5 weeks. Everything from Iceland to London to Italy, Spain, Norway, Gibraltar, Amsterdam, Switzerland and everything inbetween. It was amazing.

You only live once, and if you plan it out, are confident and trust your actions, you shouldn't worry. Just GO FOR IT!

Old 07-29-2008, 10:58 PM

134 posts, read 113,050 times
I have a friend who went to Ireland with no baggage and no money. She stayed there for two months, making money doing dishes in a bar. She has the most amazing pictures/video from her trip, and it's something she will never forget. Now, me personally I am not so crazy, but I did go to Seoul, South Korea on a whim, and that was one of the most incredible things I have ever done. So really, what's the worry about going to Denver? I say big deal, just do it... It's Denver, so it probably won't be some amazing memory, but who knows?

Old 08-01-2008, 05:01 AM

2,317 posts, read 6,889,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidt486 View Post
Has anyone just up and went off to a place all alone? The reason I ask is I'm dying to see Seattle or Denver and cannot get my friends to come with me! I'm 19.. I'm not worried about safety really, jsut having things to do.

Any advice or experiences?
I wanna go to Seattle or Denver. I'll go with you, haha.

Old 08-01-2008, 06:29 AM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,870,903 times
Go for it. I've been to some cities in Europe by myself and had a great time. I've also spent some time on my own kicking around nyc on more than one occasion while my host had to work some long days, in fact, sometimes it is nice to have some time while traveling to strike out on your own an do your own thing for a bit.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:06 AM

2,293 posts, read 5,591,239 times
Looking back, I found traveling alone much easier and more enjoyable in my mid 20's. Traveling alone at 19, I was too immature-did not have enough self-confidence, and was freaked out by everything so I spent most nites alone in my hotel.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:47 AM

30,223 posts, read 67,372,527 times
I live two hours from New York City and have strolled the streets alone. As long as you stay in areas of heavy foot traffic and/or tourist-oriented areas you should have nothing to be concerned about.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:17 AM

355 posts, read 1,257,210 times
Heck yes!!!!!!!!! Doing things alone is always so much fun because you dont have your friends nagging you "I dont want to see this. Im too tired. Im hungry. Lets go back to the hotel" blah blah. Im now planning a move to Boston by myself and Ive never even been there. Later, I will take a solo trip to Switzerland to see the statue of Freddie Mercury. You only live once. Do it!

Old 08-01-2008, 10:30 AM

2,486 posts, read 2,361,876 times
I dated a girl that liked to see and do things I liked to see when Traveling. Ever since If I go with people I find they like to see and do the lamest things. I would rather travel alone, and not be bothered by other people wanting to go see how the Panera bread in Atlanta differs than the one here in Wexford, PA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or