Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 06:00 AM

1,137 posts, read 2,280,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkingthecow View Post
Honestly, seizing drugs is actually worse for crime rates. If they were to just saturate the market, crime would drop considerably, considering that most drug-related crimes are committed between drug users/dealers, and are typically due to the cost of the drugs. As supply goes down, costs goes up, and so does crime.

soooo..... let drug trade run rampant? I don't think that's the best course of action.

and as highplainsdrifter73 is saying, try to treat cops with respect and you are most likely to receive it back.

anyone talking critically of officers should see this commercial for the Baltimore PD first. Cop For a Day - Baltimore Police Department Official Web Site - City of Baltimore, Maryland (http://www.baltimorepolice.org/join-the-team/media-center/cop-for-a-day - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 06:14 AM

552 posts, read 1,073,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Adam29 View Post
This is ridiculous. Never talk to the police under any circumstances? What if you witness a crime? If I hear one more person say "stop da snitchin'" I'm gonna lose it!
Nobody said to "stop da snitchin", the video's main message is that you shouldn't let cops question you without an attorney present.

Quote:
a cop pulled you over for speeding a few miles over the limit: WHAT IF: you were a drug smuggler and where shipping 200 lbs of cocaine in your trunk, whouldn't you want the police pulling that car over and finding that?
Since when does a speeding ticket warrant a search of my locked trunk?

Quote:
a police officer needs to run your licence and brings you in in the meantime and as a result you have to spend the night: WHAT IF: you were a convicted rapist and murderer with several warrants out and the police allowed you to go free immediately instead of checking first?
WHAT IF: The sky fell down?

Quote:
I know it's often a terrible feeling being painted as the suspect. None of us like that situation, but for the safety of the whole, we need police who consistantly check our roads and highways for the people who try to make our lives a real living hell. I say suck it up and realize the kind of **** that they have to go through on a daily basis, as well as the reasoning behind their actions.
I'm not anti-police, I'm just anti-jail time, for me at least. There's absolutely nothing wrong with using my rights.

Old 07-31-2008, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieter View Post
Nobody said to "stop da snitchin", the video's main message is that you shouldn't let cops question you without an attorney present.
I know, but he said, "I will never under any circumstances talk to a police officer" I saw that turning into an anti-police arguement here, so I'm picking up the defense for the men and women in blue.

Quote:
Since when does a speeding ticket warrant a search of my locked trunk?
If you're a coke dealer, liklihood is that the cop will notice something is up and call in a K-9 for a quick sniff of the car.

Quote:
WHAT IF: The sky fell down?
nice. fact is that I'm not being outrageous saying that they should check our roads for people like this. This is how a lot of criminals are captured.
Quote:
I'm not anti-police, I'm just anti-jail time, for me at least. There's absolutely nothing wrong with using my rights.
I don't disagree with you using your rights, but be respectful, and understand why the police are doing what they are doing instead of feeling like they are out to cause misery for the innocent. Not saying that you do think that nessescarily, just showing you where I am on this issue.

Old 07-31-2008, 07:18 AM

2,735 posts, read 6,735,893 times
I was pulled over a couple of years ago for expired tags. I didn't even realize they were expired, we were new here and hadn't received our notice in the mail and it was overlooked. My husband was out of town and I was driving, my mini van (not some criminal looking vehicle) and had my 4 kids with me.
The police officer pulled me over and I had no idea why, I was going the speed limit, hadn't done anything and was completely suprised that I was being stopped. He immediately asked me if I knew why I was pulled over, I said no and he told me for my expired tags. I told him I was very sorry, I didn't even realize they were expired and I will go down and register the vehicle the next day. He gave me a lecture, very rudely about how he could have my vehicle towed right there and make me walk home but because I had children in the car, he wouldn't do it but if he catches me again he will take my vehicle from me.
This was totally unacceptable behavior as I was nothing but polite when pulled over, didn't argue or anything. I was shaking afterwards, I was so po'd. I'm a sahm, no tickets, not a criminal, nothing...totally uncalled for. We were maybe 2 miles from our house, and my children were terrified to stay in the car and ride home, that we'd get pulled over again and the vehicle taken. Same thing the next day when we went to register the vehicle, my kids were terrified that he'd stop us again.
I really wanted to complain about him somewhere...so uncalled for, plus he just gave police officers a bad name for my children, who were then fearful of the police.
I think alot of them are jerks and abuse their power. We have one that lives up the street, and he's a major jerk. Of course he's big in the HOA too.
My husband calls it "small penis syndrome".
I know they aren't all bad, but alot of them give the good ones bad names.
By the way, I didn't watch the video so I have no clue really what it was about

Editing to add that I think it's ridiculous to live life thinking you can't go to the police or never talk to them as the title of this thread suggests. I still, as always, teach my kids that the police are there to help you (wishful thinking on some,lol) and if they are in any trouble, to tell a police officer.

Old 07-31-2008, 07:30 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,936,442 times
Get slapped, sworn, and dragged by "soccer moms" who are polite at first in minvans enough and your demeanor becomes a little more "I'm in charge in this situation". Let's also not forget: You broke the law. Why do so many people think breaking the law is no big deal.

I'm not attacking you personally, I'm just saying that their are reasons for the authorities to maintain an agressive stance regardless of how the situation seems and to point out that breaking the law, even the 'small' ones, is still breaking the law.

Last edited by Lior Arel; 07-31-2008 at 07:31 AM.. Reason: Sounded harsh and I'm not trying to be.

Old 07-31-2008, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel and The Dolphin View Post
Get slapped, sworn, and dragged by "soccer moms" who are polite at first in minvans enough and your demeanor becomes a little more "I'm in charge in this situation". Let's also not forget: You broke the law. Why do so many people think breaking the law is no big deal.

I'm not attacking you personally, I'm just saying that their are reasons for the authorities to maintain an agressive stance regardless of how the situation seems and to point out that breaking the law, even the 'small' ones, is still breaking the law.
I agree, I had broken the law, but I did not deserve to be talked to in that manner, with my children in the car. I was not disrespectful and told him I would fix the situation in the morning and he continued to harrass me. Yes, it was straight up harrassment.
I can understand if I had a crappy attitude when he pulled me over, but I didn't. He was totally out of line and dosn't represent his badge well at all.

And for the record, I am not a soccer mom, I'm a "football mom"...don't know why that awful label came about, my kids never play soccer

Old 07-31-2008, 07:50 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,936,442 times
Yeah. Some officers can be too harsh and take out their 'bad day' on the wrong person It's a stressful job, I'm not excusing bad behavior, but just stating a reason for it.

**wishing I could be Barney Fife**

Old 07-31-2008, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel and The Dolphin View Post
Yeah. Some officers can be too harsh and take out their 'bad day' on the wrong person It's a stressful job, I'm not excusing bad behavior, but just stating a reason for it.

**wishing I could be Barney Fife**
Exactly, he was a total Barney Fife, without the humor

And I totally understand that they put up with alot of BS, the worst situations, etc....but this was an officer, from my town, so it's not like it's high crime, not like I was in ATL or something. I think he's just a jerk on a daily basis

Old 07-31-2008, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
I agree, I had broken the law, but I did not deserve to be talked to in that manner, with my children in the car. I was not disrespectful and told him I would fix the situation in the morning and he continued to harrass me. Yes, it was straight up harrassment.
I can understand if I had a crappy attitude when he pulled me over, but I didn't. He was totally out of line and dosn't represent his badge well at all.

And for the record, I am not a soccer mom, I'm a "football mom"...don't know why that awful label came about, my kids never play soccer

honestly I feel for you. I don't think you deserved that kind of treatment, and there is a liklihood that the officer is just not a good cop, but there is the possiblility that the officer had a less than desireable experience on his previous call and inadvertantly took it out on you. I'm not the first to admit that if I have a bad experience with someone at my job, the next person I see may feel some of the effects of that encounter. Cops have one of the most negative enviornments you'll find. There are people who want them all lined up and shot, and they have to meet those individuals on a daily basis and still refrain from inappropriate behaviour. So while it isn't appropriate for police to be mean-spirited to everyone, you can see where it comes from.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:10 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,883,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
And I totally understand that they put up with alot of BS, the worst situations, etc....but this was an officer, from my town, so it's not like it's high crime, not like I was in ATL or something. I think he's just a jerk on a daily basis
He may be a jerk on a daily basis, but don't fool yourself into thinking that cops only deal with crime in cities like Atlanta. You may live in Mayberry, USA and not realize that these men and women deal with all types of things you don't even have a clue they deal with daily.

I have known a fair number of cops in my life. On average I'd say that 20% of them would fall into a category of "jackass" regarding their attitudes and behavior. That leaves 80% who don't abuse their badges and are trying to make the streets safer for us - OH, and at around $30,000 per year, too. Now, I'd really love to see any of us hit the streets with a gun an bullet proof vest on in 95 degree weather for $30,000 a year, deal with verbal abuse, nutjobs, etc., every day - then see what our attitudes are like in a few weeks.

Cops wear badges. If you come across one who you feel is being unreasonably rude, glance at his badge number and report him later when you get home. Simple enough. But you're not being pulled over by doormen at a Disney Resort - if you don't keep your tags up, or speed, or tailgate.. don't expect, "Well hello Maam... it's a lovely day isn't it... my, what beautiful children.. now, we have an itsy bitsy problem here..." type of dialogue, either. You may have just left your husband with your kids after finding him with a secretary... you might be packing... heck, they don't know.

Again, if you get a jackass cop - report him. If he's REAL bad, call the local news station and make a case of it on the news. But cut these folks some slack, too. If you don't want to be pulled over - obey the laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.