U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 09:18 PM

89 posts, read 186,829 times

Advertisements

Here's my story: 41, female, single, no kids, college degree, 20 years of work experience. No history of drug use, alcohol use, etc. I'm sane and drama-free and I like it that way.

I've been unemployed in the Pittsburgh area for more than 2 years.

I apply for jobs and get NO replies.

For the first time in my life, today I went to the food bank. Thank you Greater Pittsburgh Food Bank -- I'm ashamed of needing assistance, but I'm incredibly grateful.

I tapped into my retirement fund (IRA) for the second time. I know that's a no-no, but I have zero income.

I have no health insurance. I applied in April for free dental care through Catholic Charities, but they're so backlogged they're not sure when they'll see me.

I don't receive welfare, medicaid, food stamps, etc, because you have to deplete ALL of your resources before being eligible, and my retirement savings makes me ineligible.

(I do find it interesting that if I had not set aside any money in my retirement fund and had instead spent it on luxuries for myself or on a nicer car, I WOULD be eligible for welfare.)

I visit city-data.com to see where I should move to to find work. I'm to the point that I don't care much about a region other than whether or not they have jobs.

Anyway, that's my story -- what's yours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 09:22 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,255,479 times
What a nightmare for you.

Have you checked out various areas of Texas? I know it would be a lot different than what you are used to in Pittsburgh, but there are news reports pretty much weekly about how strong the Texas economy is. Worth considering.

We are still doing okay, but not great. We are a 1 income couple and have always lived very simply. Comes in handy in times like this.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:33 PM

Thanks for your suggestions. I have thought about Texas....thanks for your info about how strong the TX economy is.

I got a little sad at your observation that my life is a nightmare, only because it's what I consider 'normal'.

I have much to be grateful for, and like you, have always lived simply. (Hooray for Goodwill and Salvation Army for clothes!)

And I never bought a house because I knew that I couldn't afford it. I'm grateful that I'm not in the situation of losing my home.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:40 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,247,004 times
What's funny (in a nonfunny way) is that our parents and grandparents kept pushing into us how completely important it was to get a specialized college degree, yet in case no one has noticed, these are the people who are unemployed the most now. The so-called "unskilled" workers are all working! Granted, with much lower salaries and poor benefits, but, they're working.

I'm single and my only big expense are my three dogs - of which at all around age 11, they won't be around forever and I do NOT plan on replacing them when they go. Love 'em, but you're talking $$ in upkeep costs. I do drive a SUV, but only work 3 miles from home so gas isn't a huge issue for me like many in Atlanta who drive up to 60 miles a day or more back and forth to work. I'm not embarrassed to use coupons at the grocery store, eat the cost-cutter brand stuff, or buy my toilet paper at Costco in 50-packs. I eat out in restaurants only about twice a week, max.

The company I work for is construction related, and thank the gods my bosses listened to me a while back about NOT devoting all your resources into one huge project at a time, but instead do multiple mini-jobs to keep a steady flow of income coming in. They actually listened. Other companies like ours in the area are going under who did not do this, but since we didn't put all our eggs in one basket, we're staying above water. So... I'm surviving. I won't have to resort to being a male prostitute yet.

Atlanta has a strong job market right now in SOME trade skill areas, and some other cities like Charlotte, Austin, Dallas Tx, and on a lesser scale, Phoenix, are said to be doing "ok" with jobs, too. If you can't find work in the trained field you're used to, you may have to consider relocation, or, taking an unskilled temp job to fill in the money blanks.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:46 PM

2,736 posts, read 5,956,604 times
I am so sorry you are struggling right now. I really hope you find something soon.

On the other hand, I think the economy is doing ok, at least for us. My husband just took a new job which is relocating us out of state. He's in the RV business and just had their grand opening last weekend and they did great. Business is doing well. Hopefully it is a sign of times to come

Old 07-30-2008, 09:55 PM

4,507 posts, read 8,031,514 times
We are doing just fine...but with no debt (except the mortgage), 6 months of living expenses in the bank and a frugal lifestyle we hardly notice a ripple in the economy. If DH were to lose his job we can and would move to get work elsewhere...even if that means a pay cut. Just because the economy is stagnant doesn't mean you should be. Not knowing what your field of work is it is hard to say whether or not moving would be a good idea but this point what have you got to lose??

Old 07-30-2008, 10:01 PM

2,633 posts, read 4,534,628 times
The economy is great for me cause I'm a bum and don't need to pay taxes till my yearly earnings reach the fabled 5 digits.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:14 PM

Oh...and the icing on the cake is that my boyfriend of four years just dumped me....but I'm not sure whether that's a bad thing or a blessing in disguise. Probably the latter.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:33 PM

134 posts, read 113,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
What's funny (in a nonfunny way) is that our parents and grandparents kept pushing into us how completely important it was to get a specialized college degree, yet in case no one has noticed, these are the people who are unemployed the most now. The so-called "unskilled" workers are all working! Granted, with much lower salaries and poor benefits, but, they're working.

I'm single and my only big expense are my three dogs - of which at all around age 11, they won't be around forever and I do NOT plan on replacing them when they go. Love 'em, but you're talking $$ in upkeep costs. I do drive a SUV, but only work 3 miles from home so gas isn't a huge issue for me like many in Atlanta who drive up to 60 miles a day or more back and forth to work. I'm not embarrassed to use coupons at the grocery store, eat the cost-cutter brand stuff, or buy my toilet paper at Costco in 50-packs. I eat out in restaurants only about twice a week, max.

The company I work for is construction related, and thank the gods my bosses listened to me a while back about NOT devoting all your resources into one huge project at a time, but instead do multiple mini-jobs to keep a steady flow of income coming in. They actually listened. Other companies like ours in the area are going under who did not do this, but since we didn't put all our eggs in one basket, we're staying above water. So... I'm surviving. I won't have to resort to being a male prostitute yet.

Atlanta has a strong job market right now in SOME trade skill areas, and some other cities like Charlotte, Austin, Dallas Tx, and on a lesser scale, Phoenix, are said to be doing "ok" with jobs, too. If you can't find work in the trained field you're used to, you may have to consider relocation, or, taking an unskilled temp job to fill in the money blanks.

No offense, but most people I know who have college degrees (excluding liberal arts degrees) make 85k+ a year, and are not in danger of being unemployed. It is statistically untrue that there are more unemployed college educated vs. unemployed unskilled workers. And, top this off with the fact that we college educated often make more than 3 or 4 unskilled laborers put together.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:40 AM

480 posts, read 2,116,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkingthecow View Post
No offense, but most people I know who have college degrees (excluding liberal arts degrees) make 85k+ a year, and are not in danger of being unemployed. It is statistically untrue that there are more unemployed college educated vs. unemployed unskilled workers. And, top this off with the fact that we college educated often make more than 3 or 4 unskilled laborers put together.
That depends, actually.

In many places, mechanics and other "unskilled labor" make more than a lot of college graduates. That, of course, is a function of supply and demand. Wherever you have more college graduates and less jobs, the wages go down. But mechanics always find work.

So, it really depends on what area you are talking about. I have seen the downturn affect some folks, and not affect others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.