U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-13-2008, 04:40 PM

13,380 posts, read 14,421,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Beer is actually not what I would call Southern. Bourbon and whiskey are more of that type. Beer tends to be more of a Midwestern thing. After all, many of the beers in the United States come from the Midwest (Anheuser Busch, Miller for starters)
Nah bruh. The South is heavily slanted towards beer. Sittin on your porch all day drinking 3 six packs of beer and it doesn't have to be a national pouplar beer either. It could be beer you never heard of. In fact, I heard in Northwest Alabama, people get lawn chairs, sit outside of wal-mart, and drink beer all day long lol.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 04:58 PM
Status: "Semi-retired. working some, taking off some." (set 6 hours ago)

9,802 posts, read 10,964,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Nah bruh. The South is heavily slanted towards beer. Sittin on your porch all day drinking 3 six packs of beer and it doesn't have to be a national pouplar beer either.
LOL You mean like Lone Star or Dixie, Spade? I don't know about the latter, but even speaking as a native Texan and beer-lover to the nth degree, I wouldn't offer the former to my worst yankee enemy!

Old 09-14-2008, 06:19 AM

6,758 posts, read 14,571,581 times
I do believe that beer is a nationwide man-thing

Old 09-14-2008, 07:55 AM

122 posts, read 199,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I do believe that beer is a nationwide man-thing

Reckon? Lemme ask my husband...lol!

I've begun to wonder if beer consumption might be a condition!

I hate beer...(but I don't mind some whiskey in my coke..shh..don't tell!)

but I've never seen any in my parts "sittin' on the porch drinkin' beer all day"! Have you? I've lived here all my life...sounds like a sterotype to me...What thread is this? I've got too many goin'...at the same time!

Old 09-14-2008, 07:10 PM

3,746 posts, read 3,245,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Nah bruh. The South is heavily slanted towards beer. Sittin on your porch all day drinking 3 six packs of beer and it doesn't have to be a national pouplar beer either. It could be beer you never heard of. In fact, I heard in Northwest Alabama, people get lawn chairs, sit outside of wal-mart, and drink beer all day long lol.
Well, the South may like beer, but beer did not originate in the South. Most beer originated in either the Northeast, the Midwest, or somewhere outside the country. Beer is heavily favored everywhere, not just the South.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:55 PM

102 posts, read 230,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Hi, I'm a northerner with a question...I was wondering--with the deluge of northern people moving to the sunbelt--if there still is a southern culture anymore. By culture I mean...

1. southern accents
2. friendliness
3. southern cuisine
4. A certain regard for the confederacy and its leaders
5. There might be other stuff I'm not thinking of, but you can fill in the blank.

I've always found certain things about the south interesting. While some (slavery/segregation) thankfully have died out, It still seems like a very unique region. So does anyone think that the south will gradually lose its uniqueness and blend in with the rest of the U.S.? Personally, I hope that the good things about southern culture can be retained. Any answers would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Mackinac

I hope that the South won't change too much. It's great the way it is.
I really hope that Mississippi and Louisiana stay the way they are.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:14 AM

3,746 posts, read 3,245,782 times
The South is probably never going to change people. The Northeast will never stop being Northeastern, the Midwest will never stop being Midwestern, the Southwest will never stop being Southwestern, so why should we expect the South to stop being Southern? Not like there is anything wrong with being Southern. Not to mention, the South is one of the most booming and powerful economic and financial places in the country right now. So I seriously doubt it will stop being Southern anytime soon.

Old 09-15-2008, 04:18 PM

835 posts, read 1,510,901 times
Quote:
The South is probably never going to change people. The Northeast will never stop being Northeastern, the Midwest will never stop being Midwestern, the Southwest will never stop being Southwestern, so why should we expect the South to stop being Southern? Not like there is anything wrong with being Southern. Not to mention, the South is one of the most booming and powerful economic and financial places in the country right now. So I seriously doubt it will stop being Southern anytime soon.
...and that's why it will change because of migration from other parts of the country.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:42 AM

3,400 posts, read 4,815,654 times
Quote:
Beer is actually not what I would call Southern. Bourbon and whiskey are more of that type. Beer tends to be more of a Midwestern thing. After all, many of the beers in the United States come from the Midwest (Anheuser Busch, Miller for starters)

We make the best White Lightning though...

Never met a Yankee that had even seen the stuff...

Old 09-17-2008, 09:49 AM

3,014 posts, read 5,833,916 times
Hopefully, NEVER! there will always be pockets of the true south. it's just that the size and quantities of those so-called "pockets" are diminishing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.