Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is worse?
Too hot 169 57.88%
Too cold 123 42.12%
Voters: 292. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 01:30 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,519,304 times

Advertisements

I'd rather be cold than hot. I know other people've said it before, but when you're cold you can always put on more clothes or get in front of a nice fire or bundle up in blankets which is really nice. And after all, winter fashion is the best fashion. When you're hot, you can only take off so much, and even that might not help. You could always take a cold swim or shower or bath, but having to adjust to cold water, even when it's hot, can be a bit of a pain sometimes. I'm not saying it's fun to be super cold, but being super hot drains your energy like crazy, just puts me to sleep. ~_-

And lastly, I'd always much rather be shivering than sweating, sticky, and stinky. It's just my preference people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 11:07 AM

2,347 posts, read 2,784,244 times
It's always easier to warm up, than cool down.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:54 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,814,516 times
The heat generally wipes me out.
whenever I spend long periods outdoors in the extreme heat I not only do sweat more than the average person but I'm liable to get headaches if I'm out in the extreme heat long enough. It sucks!
It's usually during summer when I'm most likely to come home and fall asleep on the couch.

I don't think NJ is cold enough, and I think its summers are too hot (It's 96 degrees outside right now )

I love winter and fall so much.

Old 06-28-2010, 02:00 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,795,594 times
We've had about 100 degrees the entire month of June, and I love it. I think that's the majority view. Otherwise, there would be census gains every 10 years in North Dakota, New York, Vermont, Montana, etc, that exceeded Arizona, Texas, Georgia, or Florida.

Depending on whether you believe in the bible or Darwinism, civilization began in either Mesopotamia or the Great Rift Valley. Not in Poland, Argentina, or Norway. I think human beings were designed to best tolerate 70-85 degree temperatures.

Old 06-28-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
We've had about 100 degrees the entire month of June, and I love it. I think that's the majority view. Otherwise, there would be census gains every 10 years in North Dakota, New York, Vermont, Montana, etc, that exceeded Arizona, Texas, Georgia, or Florida.

Depending on whether you believe in the bible or Darwinism, civilization began in either Mesopotamia or the Great Rift Valley. Not in Poland, Argentina, or Norway. I think human beings were designed to best tolerate 70-85 degree temperatures.

Good point, but notice how how more world class cities are located in colder climates- London, NYC, Toronto, Moscow, Chicago etc while third world cities tend to be located around the equator- Mexico City, Kingston, Lagos, Jakarta, etc
You're probably right though, humans are probably designed for Mediterranean type weather. But that's not "too hot"

Last edited by BPerone201; 06-28-2010 at 02:25 PM..

Old 06-28-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Good point, but notice how how more world class cities are located in colder climates- London, NYC, Toronto, Moscow, Chicago etc while third world cities tend to be located around the equator- Mexico City, Kingston, Lagos, Jakarta, etc
You're probably right though, humans are probably designed for Mediterranean type weather. But that's not "too hot"
BPerone,

You would really love this book: Guns Germs, & Steel: Home

It goes a way towards explaining what you just mused about.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:34 PM

Quote:
BPerone,

You would really love this book: Guns Germs, & Steel: Home

It goes a way towards explaining what you just mused about.

I'm reading the summary now and so far I'm very drawn in and never really thought this deep into the topic! Thanks for showing me the book. I'd rep you but I have to spread some rep around.

*continues reading...*

Old 06-29-2010, 12:12 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,684,988 times
Quote:

MIKE! Why did this places explode over the last 40 years? They "suddenly" didn't become hot.....we had the technology to cool them down (not the outside, but you know what I mean)!!!!

Old 06-30-2010, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
MIKE! Why did this places explode over the last 40 years? They "suddenly" didn't become hot.....we had the technology to cool them down (not the outside, but you know what I mean)!!!!
I get it: the emergence of air conditioning has definitely reshaped our population migration patterns. We now have technology that is able to make our winters more tolerable, through natural gas pipeline distribution, oil tanks, wood burning, or propane. We also have air conditioning to make our summers more tolerable. The fact remains, with all these technologies in place, more are still opting to go south than north. Can we then conclude that one is more inclined to tolerate a 105 degree June day than a -10 degree January day? The 'shoulder seasons': does this mean that one feels more drawn to an 80 degree day in Georgia during the middle of October, versus a 50 degree day in Connecticut? Probably.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:18 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,625,061 times
Too hot . By far for me.

I hate the heat and would also hate to live somewhere which is sunny all year round. I like defined seasons. Rain, snow and sunshine. Also I loathe humidity.

My idea of hell weather-wise would be to live in the South of the US. I would just wilt.

I prefer moderate temperate climates to sub-tropical or tropical. In fact I would rather live somewhere with Arctic weather than somewhere tropical.

When it's hot I feel lethargic and lazy and never want to do much. I much prefer the energy which cold weather gives me. I find it a lot healthier.

And let's not forget all the nasty beasties and bugs which flourish in hot weather... I'll pass.

I actually like the rain,and wind, and snow, storms etc... Cold energises me , heat just kills me and makes me feel like a sickly plant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.