Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: most infamous U.S. city
New York city 16 17.02%
Los Angeles 23 24.47%
Chicago 19 20.21%
Houston 10 10.64%
Philadelphia 9 9.57%
Phoenix 9 9.57%
Detroit 53 56.38%
Las Vegas 23 24.47%
Miami 17 18.09%
Atlanta 3 3.19%
Omaha 7 7.45%
San Diego 2 2.13%
Other-please explain 7 7.45%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 02:59 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,808,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
#10. should be Birmingham(It was known as Bombingham for a reason)
11. Atlanta. Court house shooting
12. Boston. Busing riots during the 70's
More Atlanta infamous incidents...

-the Olympic Park bombing in 1996 by Eric Rudolph, 2 dead/111 injured...and his additonal bombings of a gay bar and abortion clinic
-the Atlanta Child Murders 1979-1981, 30 black children found dead
-the Rob Lowe Sex tape scandal from the 1988 Atlanta Democratic National Convention
-the 2001 Super Bowl murders in Buckhead involving Ray Lewis...
-the 1990 shooting spree at Perimeter Mall by a just-released mental patient, 1 dead 5 injured
-the 1999 shooting spree in a Buckhead office building over stock trading, 9 dead/13 injured, 2 critically...and the day before he bludgeoned to death his wife and 2 children
-the Atlanta Falcons' Michael Vick convicted of dog fighting and sent to prison in 2007

Last edited by DeaconJ; 11-12-2008 at 03:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 07:36 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,869,205 times
how is lv beating miami?

Old 11-13-2008, 09:02 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,943,753 times
miami vice. drugs cocaine. mariel boatlift. illegal immigration. hurricane andrew. sean taylor murder.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:39 AM

3,070 posts, read 11,923,957 times
As I stated before, I would have to say Detroit. Although it can be a decent place with decent people in the right time and place, it deserves the title of the most infamous city. Theres no getting around that.

Its sad to say but I would have to say my hometown Cleveland also.
- Very High Crime rate, very high rape rate, 7th most dangerous in the country, 10th this year, has been murder capital before, 333 murders in one year, 5th most gang presence in the country. The torso murders, the majority of cops killed in Ohio are in Cleveland, about half of the prison population comes from Cleveland.
- The Mafia, they ran the town before, Cleveland is a very infamous mafia city, was the car bombing capital of the world in the past.
- Corruption, Cleveland is very infamous for all the corruption in the city government and different departments.
- Poverty, has been #1 poorest major US city several times, this year its 2nd.
- Foreclosures, Cleveland was one of (if not THE) worst hit city with foreclosures, Cleveland was on the news the most for that showing Slavic Village and other neighborhoods that were in ruins because of it.
- Drugs, Cleveland is one of the biggest drug markets and distribution areas in the country, a lot of the drugs either come from here or go through here.
- Pollution, has been top 10 polluted cities in the country on a lot of different lists. The river caught on fire because of it...
- Abandonment, the decay is horrible in Cleveland, tons of abandoned buildings and houses, falling down/run down buildings, the city has lost over half its population since 1960. No Detroit, but yes it can get bad.

All that and more is what makes Cleveland infamous. Its sad to see because I think Cleveland has such great potential. I still love the city and the area. Its not all horrible like that, and some of it is unfair or exaggerated, but Cleveland is an infamous city.

Old 11-13-2008, 02:56 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,869,205 times
unless it was before the late 80's i doubt that. just look at moscow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cle440 View Post
As I stated before, I would have to say Detroit. Although it can be a decent place with decent people in the right time and place, it deserves the title of the most infamous city. Theres no getting around that.

Its sad to say but I would have to say my hometown Cleveland also.
- Very High Crime rate, very high rape rate, 7th most dangerous in the country, 10th this year, has been murder capital before, 333 murders in one year, 5th most gang presence in the country. The torso murders, the majority of cops killed in Ohio are in Cleveland, about half of the prison population comes from Cleveland.
- The Mafia, they ran the town before, Cleveland is a very infamous mafia city, was the car bombing capital of the world in the past.
- Corruption, Cleveland is very infamous for all the corruption in the city government and different departments.
- Poverty, has been #1 poorest major US city several times, this year its 2nd.
- Foreclosures, Cleveland was one of (if not THE) worst hit city with foreclosures, Cleveland was on the news the most for that showing Slavic Village and other neighborhoods that were in ruins because of it.
- Drugs, Cleveland is one of the biggest drug markets and distribution areas in the country, a lot of the drugs either come from here or go through here.
- Pollution, has been top 10 polluted cities in the country on a lot of different lists. The river caught on fire because of it...
- Abandonment, the decay is horrible in Cleveland, tons of abandoned buildings and houses, falling down/run down buildings, the city has lost over half its population since 1960. No Detroit, but yes it can get bad.

All that and more is what makes Cleveland infamous. Its sad to see because I think Cleveland has such great potential. I still love the city and the area. Its not all horrible like that, and some of it is unfair or exaggerated, but Cleveland is an infamous city.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:22 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
More Atlanta infamous incidents...

-the Olympic Park bombing in 1996 by Eric Rudolph, 2 dead/111 injured...and his additonal bombings of a gay bar and abortion clinic
-the Atlanta Child Murders 1979-1981, 30 black children found dead
-the Rob Lowe Sex tape scandal from the 1988 Atlanta Democratic National Convention
-the 2001 Super Bowl murders in Buckhead involving Ray Lewis...
-the 1990 shooting spree at Perimeter Mall by a just-released mental patient, 1 dead 5 injured
-the 1999 shooting spree in a Buckhead office building over stock trading, 9 dead/13 injured, 2 critically...and the day before he bludgeoned to death his wife and 2 children
-the Atlanta Falcons' Michael Vick convicted of dog fighting and sent to prison in 2007
Two more:

1906 race riot.
1992 Rodney King riots(LA wasn't the only city to have such riots)

Old 11-13-2008, 10:05 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,923,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodymiami View Post
unless it was before the late 80's i doubt that. just look at moscow.
Well it was either of the US or the world, I cant remember which one. It was around 50 car bombing in one year. Mostly due to the mafia of course. Im pretty sure it was either in the 70s-80s or before that. Most likely around the time when Cleveland had 333 murders and then was murder capital (same thing, either of the country or the world). Cleveland has been through some pretty rough times, and continues to do so.

Old 09-27-2019, 03:52 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,567,273 times
Whoever put Houston on this list was high. Houston and infamous should not be in the same sentence.

Old 09-27-2019, 08:18 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,532,985 times
Waco,Tx

Old 09-27-2019, 08:54 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,455,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcresHomes44 View Post
Whoever put Houston on this list was high. Houston and infamous should not be in the same sentence.
You felt the need to resurrect a thread that hasn’t been touched in 11 years to say that? I can think of other cities on that list, starting with the one that got 2 votes somehow, that I’d put ahead of Houston.

Back in 2008 when this thread was started if you said Houston to me one of the first things I’d think of is Enron. The stank of that scandal was directly tied to Houston for some time, probably still is for those of us who remember it well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.