U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 09:18 PM

30,212 posts, read 67,358,468 times

Advertisements

I believe a thread similar to this one was posted many moons ago, but I did a search for it and could not find it, so I decided to re-create it. If you had infinite wealth and were able to purchase one home in each of our lovely fifty states, where would you like to own a home in each state (and why if you feel so inclined).

I'll start:

Alabama: Mountain Brook===> From what I hear it is an affluent suburb of Birmingham, which is one of America's more underrated cities.
Alaska: Barrow===> I would love to live as close to the Arctic Circle as possible to experience that phenomena of 24 hours of daylight and nighttime, respectively.
Arizona: North Scottsdale===> From what I've heard this is where the "who's who" of Arizonans reside.
Arkansas: Eureka Springs===> I've heard that this small rural enclave might just be the most LGBT-friendly part of Arkansas.
California: Sausalito===> I'd love to be able to sit on my deck sipping a pina colada in the morning while overlooking the Golden Gate Bridge in the distance.
Colorado: Boulder===> It would be interesting to see what life would be like amongst militant liberals, being that I was born and bred in a conservative city.
Connecticut: Clinton===> This town is located along the coast near I-95 and is in close proximity to New Haven, Mystic Seaport, and a shopping outlet center.
Delaware: Newark===> The home of the University of Delaware, Newark is supposed to be a very well-regarded college town.
Florida: Key West===> I've never experienced life on an island, but it would definitely be something I'd be willing to consider.
Georgia: Atlanta===> I'd fancy a loft in the Buckhead neighborhood.
Hawaii: Honolulu===> I'd never live in Hawaii due to the feeling of isolation, but being in the heart of a bustling city would likely make me feel less homesick for the mainland.
Idaho: Coeur d'Alene===> Lakefront living at its finest!
Illinois: Evanston===> Give me a Victorian with easy access to Chicago, and I'm set!
Indiana: Gary===> This would satisfy the miniature urban pioneer inside of me.
Iowa: Dubuque===> This is a city I'd love to visit someday.
Kansas: Lawrence===> Another liberal college town.
Kentucky: Lexington===> I've just heard great things about this city.
Louisiana: Slidell===> Living right across the lake from New Orleans could afford one all of the benefits of the city without all of the crime hassles.
Maine: Bar Harbor===> Having Acadia National Park at your footstep would be an outdoorsman's dream come true.
Maryland: Annapolis===> Home to historic narrow streets and the U.S. Naval Academy, Annapolis also offers a convenient location to either DC or Baltimore.
Massachusetts: Salem===> I think it would awesome to live in a home that would potentially be haunted by a "witch."
Michigan: Saugatuck===> A beautiful small town on the Eastern shores of Lake Michigan.
Minnesota: Stillwater===> I've heard wonderful things about this quaint river city to the east of St. Paul
Mississippi: Vicksburg===> I'm a history buff.
Missouri: Springfield===> I'd like to visit MoMark's grave and pay him a tribute someday.
Montana: Butte===> Supposedly this is one of the more liberal cities in Montana.
Nebraska: Omaha===> I would invite Go Ne over to my loft in the Old Market District to have some corn!
Nevada: Battle Mountain===> I'd like to see the city that upset Scranton in the late-1990s for the dubious title of "Armpit of America."
New Hampshire: Portsmouth===> Gorgeous coastal city.
New Jersey: Princeton===> Eggheads anonymous.
New Mexico: Santa Fe===> Hey, it beat Scranton in the poll, so it must be doing something right.
New York: Saratoga Springs===> I still have to visit this town at some point for a photo tour.
North Carolina: Asheville===> I want to see if it lives up to the hype.
North Dakota: Grand Forks===> Supposedly this city has improved greatly since the 1993 Flood.
Ohio: Youngstown===> It reminds me of a version of Scranton in need of help.
Oklahoma: Norman===> As a meteorological buff, it would be awesome to live near the National Weather Service headquarters.
Oregon: Astoria===> I'd like to go on my own "The Goonies" adventure!
Pennsylvania: Scranton===> Well, DUH!
Rhode Island: Newport===> I'd do the Cliff Walk everyday.
South Carolina: Greenville===> The photo tours on this site have sold me on this upstate city.
South Dakota: Sioux Falls===> Supposedly this is an up-and-comer.
Tennessee: Nashville===> I'm not a country music fan, but supposedly the city is still a great place to live.
Texas: Fort Worth===> I'd like to see if this city warrants being overshadowed by Dallas all the time.
Utah: St. George===> I'd practice being Mormon for a day.
Vermont: Burlington===> Lake Champlain? I'm sold.
Virginia: Alexandria===> An urban planner's wet dream.
Washington: Spokane===> I would have picked Seattle, but I fear "The Big One."
West Virginia: Wheeling===> It looked like a nice city when I was visiting.
Wisconsin: Madison===> A vibrant, thriving, liberal college city and cheese? MMMMM!!!
Wyoming: Cody===> The town is named after my beloved partner. How can I resist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 09:24 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,745,065 times
I live in Mountain Brook, Alabama. It's very, very nice. But not really a vacation place. I would offer one of two possibilities instead: Mentone, high up in the Appalachians near the intersection of Alabama, Georgia, and Tennessee, or Fairhope on Mobile Bay.

Mentone is a really beautiful setting and really unspoiled by rampant tourism. Add the fact that it stays roughly 10-12 degrees cooler than the rest of Alabama during the Summer, and you have a great retreat.

Fairhope, on Mobile Bay, was founded as a commune along the lines of New Harmony in Indiana. A lot of that same community spirit continues to this day. In fact, you cannot own land in Fairhope. You can only own the houses on it.

Glad to add my two cents.

Old 08-06-2008, 03:46 AM

38,690 posts, read 89,223,450 times
I've pretty much narrowed it down to five "if I hit it big in the lottery" locations:

1) A condo in Chicago
2) A condo in Seattle
3) A lakeside cabin in northern Wisconsin
4) A cabin in the Rockies; state or province as of yet undetermined
5) A rowhouse in Charleston

Old 08-06-2008, 04:59 AM

5,728 posts, read 9,092,123 times
Talk about ostentatious. Geez... One or two vacation homes with a lot of land would be sufficient for myself. I'd put one in a rural northern New England location and the other in a rural Colorado location west of the Foothills.

Old 08-06-2008, 05:54 AM

257 posts, read 1,011,087 times
Alabama: Dauphin Island...regardless it would blow away in a few years
Alaska: A nice house in Anchorage
Arizona: Tempe, i like the college atmosphere
Arkansas: somewhere near the gold!
California: Temecula
Colorado: CO springs
Connecticut:hartford
Delaware: Hate it...butttt probably bethany beach
Florida: anywhere =) but id i had to choose, Sarasota
Georgia: Kings Bay area
Hawaii: Pearl City
Idaho: choices are limited
Illinois: Chicago
Indiana: no where
Iowa: again...no where
Kansas: City
Kentucky: Lul'ville
Louisiana: shreveport
Maine: Augusta
Maryland: Ocean Pines
Massachusetts: id sell it
Michigan: Marquette
Minnesota: Moorehead
Mississippi: Jackson
Missouri: Springfield
Montana: Billings
Nebraska: Omaha
Nevada: Vegas baby =)
New Hampshire: no where
New Jersey: oh god no where
New Mexico: Sante Fe
New York: Oswego
North Carolina: lake Norman =)
North Dakota: Fargo
Ohio: Akins
Oklahoma: City
Oregon: near the beach
Pennsylvania: Washington
Rhode Island: providence
South Carolina: Myrtle
South Dakota: On lincolns nose
Tennessee: Bristow
Texas: Houston
Utah: St. George
Vermont: no where
Virginia: Manassas, Dale City =)
Washington: walla walla (tonya hotness cooley is from there)
West Virginia: Fairmont
Wisconsin: Green Bay
Wyoming: Cheyenne

thats my list...not as elaborate.

Old 08-06-2008, 01:00 PM

432 posts, read 1,078,614 times
In Fairhope, only those lots intown that are part of the Single Tax Colony, are the ones you don't own, you lease. I live intown, in a very large lot(100x215), not in that designated area, and I own it. I am walking distance to all the shops, banks and restaurants...not in the burbs. So the person from Mountain Brook does not have all the facts right.
You can also live in the burbs...minutes from downtown, where prices are a bit more reasonable. A 5 minute drive from town puts you in rural areas, or subdivisions galore, if that is your wish.

Old 08-06-2008, 02:28 PM

3,340 posts, read 8,706,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Wyoming: Cody===> The town is named after my beloved partner. How can I resist?
There is a Cody Nebraska.

Old 08-06-2008, 02:35 PM

11,883 posts, read 32,924,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2LiveNCities View Post
Tennessee: Bristow
Do you mean Bristol?

Old 08-06-2008, 04:12 PM

2,317 posts, read 6,888,883 times
Alabama: ...?
Alaska: A log cabin on acreage in Homer or outside of Fairbanks.
Arizona: Flagstaff area just because it's more temperate up that way.
Arkansas: Somewhere in the Ozarks.
California: A cottage anywhere in Del Norte or Humboldt in the Redwoods or on the coast, or more over near Nevada City too.
Colorado: Ouray or Manitou Springs.
Connecticut: ...?
Delaware: Rehoboth Beach? I don't really care for Delaware that much...
Florida: Saint Augustine.
Georgia: Savannah.
Hawaii: Volcano, Lahaina, or Lanai City.
Idaho: The northern panhandle. Kellogg or Wallace maybe. In the mountains/forest.
Illinois: Southern Illinois?
Indiana: Um... Southern Indiana maybe?
Iowa: It's all corn fields there, right? Haha, JUST kidding. I'm not sure where.
Kansas: Um...
Kentucky: I dunno... Lexington I've heard is neat or Louisville.
Louisiana: Near the gulf even though hurricanes FREAK me out...
Maine: Anywhere in the woods or near the coast. Maine's pretty.
Maryland: The coast? Ocean City?
Massachusetts: The cape, of course.
Michigan: The UP somewhere.
Minnesota: Anywhere on a nice lake in the woods.
Mississippi: If it's in the woods...
Missouri: I don't know where would suit me best.
Montana: Western Montana somewhere. I love the mountains.
Nebraska: Eh. See 2nd sentence above...
Nevada: Tonopah or Hawthorne.
New Hampshire: Northern NH? I'm not familiar, but it seems pretty.
New Jersey: Somewhere near the shore.
New Mexico: How to even pick?? So many beautiful places. I'd want somewhere out in the desert probably. Maybe Santa Fe. Maybe Roswell or Las Vegas.
New York: Long Island. Probably NYC.
North Carolina: Western. Maybe Asheville area. Or Ocracoke/Hatteras/Kitty Hawk.
North Dakota: Hmm...
Ohio: Southern?
Oklahoma: Uh...
Oregon: This is tough. Such a beautiful state. Well, either the lush mountains in southwestern Oregon, OR on/near the coast near the rain forests, probably in Bandon or Newport or Astoria or Oceanside, OR a condo in downtown Portland, OR the Gorge near Hood River or Villages at Mt. Hood, OR even out on the high desert in Lakeview.
Pennsylvania: Pittsburgh.
Rhode Island: Block Island or Newport or Providence.
South Carolina: Charleston or Hilton Head.
South Dakota: ...?
Tennessee: I've heard eastern is pretty, but I'd have to see for myself about the locals first.
Texas: Uh... Austin... maybe...? It's Texas...eh...
Utah: Not sure... Near Salt Lake or near a national park.
Vermont: Anywhere in Vermont, pretty much.
Virginia: Chincoteague.
Washington: Olympic peninsula somewhere or downtown Seattle or near the Gorge in central Washington. So beautiful.
West Virginia: Near Pittsburgh.
Wisconsin: Northeast... Door County, Sheboygan, Manitowoc. Or over towards Duluth.
Wyoming: Laramie area.

Old 08-06-2008, 04:14 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,745,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humacaena View Post
In Fairhope, only those lots intown that are part of the Single Tax Colony, are the ones you don't own, you lease. I live intown, in a very large lot(100x215), not in that designated area, and I own it. I am walking distance to all the shops, banks and restaurants...not in the burbs. So the person from Mountain Brook does not have all the facts right.
You can also live in the burbs...minutes from downtown, where prices are a bit more reasonable. A 5 minute drive from town puts you in rural areas, or subdivisions galore, if that is your wish.
Sir, I stand corrected. That being said, Fairhope is a great place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.