U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 02:02 PM

939 posts, read 2,828,825 times

Advertisements

I have some arguments going on... I don't consider Houston coastal even if its relatively near the coast. Is Houston a coastal city? inside the loop doesn't even touch the ocean and downtown is centered in it. Only small parts of Houstons 600 square miles touch a bay and that land was probably annexed by the city of Houston just so they can built a port.

What other cities are coastal?

What other cities are inland but mistaken as coastal and what cities are coastal but mistaken as inland?

For instance, people don't realize that NYC is actually coastal and San Francisco is actually situated inland on a bay, similar to Seattle (Puget Sound).

How about Los Angeles? For the most part the city is inland, right? Downtown Los Angeles is 17 miles from the ocean, but I guess LA is a hybrid between coastal and inland since its so MASSIVE and so its considered both coastal and inland.

Alright, I'm ready for reproof!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 02:05 PM

4,852 posts, read 8,989,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
I have some arguments going on... I don't consider Houston coastal even if its relatively near the coast.
Nor do I consider San Diego a major city since it is next to that monster that's called L.A. and S.F. has taken the only available second spot since it's the anchor city of the state's into two major regions--NorCal and SoCal. A third region of CenCal could be considered due to the massive size of the other two regions (plus a border dispute on the northern border of SoCal) and since Fresno is too far away and not easily accessible from one of the two cities but it's not as widely accepted as the other two regions.

Quote:
For instance, people don't realize that NYC is actually coastal and San Francisco is actually situated inland on a bay, similar to Seattle (Puget Sound).
Doesn't San Francisco City/County have it's western side on the Pacific--specifically the Richmond District?

NYC is actually on the mouth of the Hudson river. This is considered delta.

Interestingly San Francisco, New York, and Chicago were founded on swamps.

Old 08-06-2008, 02:12 PM

939 posts, read 2,828,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Doesn't San Francisco City/County have it's western side on the Pacific--specifically the Richmond District?

San Diego is not a major city, I agree, but its definitely a large one.

not sure but I hope someone can clarify because I think a lot of us are mixing up what's considered coastal and what's considered inland.

Another interesting fact, downtown San Diego is built on top of a swamp as well that was landfilled and then cemented and then built upon

Old 08-06-2008, 02:13 PM

1,965 posts, read 5,786,349 times
Quote:
Nor do I consider San Diego a major city since it is next to that monster that's called L.A. and S.F. has taken the only available second spot since it's the anchor city of the state's into two major regions--NorCal and SoCal. A third region of CenCal could be considered due to the massive size of the other two regions (plus a border dispute on the northern border of SoCal) and since Fresno is too far away and not easily accessible from one of the two cities but it's not as widely accepted as the other two regions.

SF founded on a swamp?

Old 08-06-2008, 02:17 PM

5,429 posts, read 13,172,633 times
It's only coastal if there's a hurricane coming. Because that allows negative publicity.

It's not coastal if you're talking about waterfront living, beaches or boating... because that might allow positive publicity.

Old 08-06-2008, 02:25 PM

15,460 posts, read 25,401,064 times
The Houston metropolitan area does have beaches, bays, and people that live on the water. It's just not how the majority of people in the metro area live though. Is Galveston part of the metro area?

But at the same time many would consider the SF Bay Area "coastal" but very few people in the Bay Area actually live along the coast, the coast is freezing up there too. Most live in communities that surround the bay or in inland valleys. There is not much of a beach culture in Northern Ca except for a few small communities like Santa Cruz.

I think Houston and SF are coastal but some cities are more coastal than others. LA and SD, the beaches and coast are more apart of the lifestyle and atmosphere than SF or Houston. NYC metro area has lots of beaches people frequent in the summer so I would consider them more coastal than SF.

Old 08-06-2008, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
SF founded on a swamp?
If I read the history of San Francisco correctly, the Yerba Buena townsite was laid on a swamp. See this website: San Francisco History - Street Names

Old 08-06-2008, 02:35 PM

1,965 posts, read 5,786,349 times
Quote:
If I read the history of San Francisco correctly, the Yerba Buena townsite was laid on a swamp. See this website: San Francisco History - Street Names
I must read that differently than you- it is describing one area, not the whole area.

Old 08-06-2008, 02:39 PM

15,460 posts, read 25,401,064 times
most coastal cities have land that was either open water or wetlands that was filled in. NYC, Boston, LA's port, SF, SD, etc...all have parts of their cities that were once open water or swamps.

Old 08-06-2008, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
I must read that differently than you- it is describing one area, not the whole area.
Theroretically the city starts on a spot of land that's considered the original townsite (where the dot on a map/globe is) and sprawls out as time goes on. (Notice the dot doesn't end up where a neighborhood of the city is located on the Earth?) As time goes on and the city sprawls, the original townsite becomes the 'Downtown' or 'Center City' and becomes less residential and more commercial (offices, stores, warehouses, etc.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or