U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 08:46 PM

8,340 posts, read 14,102,864 times

Advertisements

Your thoughts on panhandling? In Indianapolis, panhandling was getting out of control the past couple of years. There are not very tough laws to combat aggressive panhandling, and the existing laws were not strictly enforced. This lead Mayor Ballard to have donation boxes installed on downtown street corners a couple of months ago. The idea is that by having people give money to the donation boxes instead of non-homeless panhandlers, the panhandlers who are not homeless will stop as people are giving them less money. In addition, the money would be going to help homeless shelters and other organizations that help the homeless.

So, what do you all think about this? Is this something that can work in larger cities that may have more of a panhandling issue; or is this a terrible idea (or is this an old idea and Indy is years behind)? How have other cities tried to combat aggressive panhandlers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 09:53 PM

1,071 posts, read 4,019,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC 38 View Post
Your thoughts on panhandling? In Indianapolis, panhandling was getting out of control the past couple of years. There are not very tough laws to combat aggressive panhandling, and the existing laws were not strictly enforced. This lead Mayor Ballard to have donation boxes installed on downtown street corners a couple of months ago. The idea is that by having people give money to the donation boxes instead of non-homeless panhandlers, the panhandlers who are not homeless will stop as people are giving them less money. In addition, the money would be going to help homeless shelters and other organizations that help the homeless.

So, what do you all think about this? Is this something that can work in larger cities that may have more of a panhandling issue; or is this a terrible idea (or is this an old idea and Indy is years behind)? How have other cities tried to combat aggressive panhandlers?
cincinnati has one of the worst panhandling problems around, and the city has some, if not the most aggressive panhandling laws. you actually have to register with the city to bum change in cincinnati. it's entrapment, and has been a BAD thing for the city overall. when you pursue citizens and put people in jail for panhandling so easily but you don't do things to lower your poverty rate that's approaching 30%, all you do is **** people off.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:28 PM

10,238 posts, read 18,752,019 times
People should be allowed to beg, seems a freedom of speech thing to me. That some people are offended by beggars is no reason to restrict a basic freedom.

Not only that but banning begging is government interfering with the free market, we conservatives can't have that kind of thing.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:36 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,683,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
People should be allowed to beg, seems a freedom of speech thing to me. That some people are offended by beggars is no reason to restrict a basic freedom.

Not only that but banning begging is government interfering with the free market, we conservatives can't have that kind of thing.
it's not that they beg,it's that sometimes....they won't leave you alone.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:41 PM

769 posts, read 2,011,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
it's not that they beg,it's that sometimes....they won't leave you alone.
Yes, if they are just standing with a sign then I can ignore them. But if they follow me, get in my path, or come up to my car, or some other direct tactic then that is a problem. Holding up a sign doesn't bother me, aggressively approaching me, not taking no for an answer, and cursing me out when I don't give them money should not be allowed.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:44 PM

380 posts, read 953,391 times
Hey! Why can't you leave us panhandlers alone? Who can blame us, we see rich corporations get hand outs, we see non citizens come here and get hand outs, so why not we legal residents? Just kidding, panhandling can and should be controlled. I have seen some communities be very aggressive about it, i called the police once on a man who was bullying people to give him money, and they came and dealt with him.

Old 08-07-2008, 11:17 PM

10,238 posts, read 18,752,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by What! View Post
Yes, if they are just standing with a sign then I can ignore them. But if they follow me, get in my path, or come up to my car, or some other direct tactic then that is a problem. Holding up a sign doesn't bother me, aggressively approaching me, not taking no for an answer, and cursing me out when I don't give them money should not be allowed.
You want beggars to be civil, that's fair enough.

Old 08-08-2008, 07:10 AM

8,178 posts, read 16,550,391 times
I know it's politically incorrect to say that it needs to be banned so I'll fall just short of that.

Up until about a year ago I worked in Downtown Orlando right on Lake Eola...beautiful place to take a walk at breaktime or take your lunch down to the park.

The panhandling got so bad our entire building stopped going. We then were approached going to and from our parking garages.

One lady was asked for a cigarette, she explained that she didn't smoke and one of them hit her in the face.

So I won't say it needs to be banned altogether but seriously something needs to be done.

Old 08-08-2008, 12:56 PM

654 posts, read 1,100,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali's Grandma View Post
I know it's politically incorrect to say that it needs to be banned so I'll fall just short of that.

Up until about a year ago I worked in Downtown Orlando right on Lake Eola...beautiful place to take a walk at breaktime or take your lunch down to the park.

The panhandling got so bad our entire building stopped going. We then were approached going to and from our parking garages.

One lady was asked for a cigarette, she explained that she didn't smoke and one of them hit her in the face.

So I won't say it needs to be banned altogether but seriously something needs to be done.
Don't worry about being politically incorrect. Political correctness is destroying this country.

I'll say it. Panhandling needs to be outlawed. It is a drain on the economy as it keeps people away from local businesses. How would you feel as a business owner in a downtown area and saw fewer people walking past your store because they don't want to be hassled by a bum on the sidewalk near your door asking everyone who passes for money? Multiply this by entire sections of many cities. You cannot deny that there are alot of people who would otherwise be willing to go downtown and spend a weekend afternoon shopping or just walking around and spending some money who avoid doing so because they just don't want to deal with having to constantly fend off bums asking them for money. I tend not to go downtown for anything other than work for exactly that reason, and I know that many other people feel the same way.

Old 08-08-2008, 01:40 PM

955 posts, read 3,324,150 times
Yes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.