U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2008, 05:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,029 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have recently decided that we would like to move out of SW Idaho (I have lived here my whole life) to somewhere on the east coast...the problem is we've never been anywhere on the east coast and don't really know where we would fit in. We have three kids (10, 8, and 2), so schools are important. I would LOVE to find a well established neighborhood with mature tree-lined streets, everyone knows everyone, and kids feel safe riding their bikes down the street. My husband is a Diesel Mechanic and makes good money for around here, so it would have to be an area where he could find work with good pay. He is use to a 60 mile round-trip commute to work, so commuting is not an issue. We are use to dry HOT summers and mild winters. I know that we are looking at more moisture, but we would like someplace that doesn't have super hot HUMIDITY. Any info about any of these areas would be great! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2008, 07:35 PM

5,728 posts, read 9,092,123 times
Most of New England should be bearable during the summertime. Yes, it will be humid pretty frequently but you rarely get the truly tropical air that permeates the Mid Atlantic states and South or central portions of the Midwest and Plains. Dewpoints rarely get over 70 in most of southern New England during the Summer and they'll be lower in northern New England. Expect to see snow though unless you live right along the coastline in which case it won't be all that plentiful unless a Nor'easter blows in and dumps snow instead of rain on the coast.

I don't know specifically where you can find work for Diesel Mechanics but I would start doing research on trucking fleets that are either HQ'd or have major hubs in the New England region and then start more closely analyzing the communities that are within a reasonable commute. If you can pinpoint where the jobs are then I may be able to recommend a few communities to look at.

What you describe that you are looking for can be found in most parts of New England but the question is will there be work for a Diesel Mechanic in that location.

Old 08-09-2008, 08:25 PM

41 posts, read 109,810 times
How about Connecticut? You'll be in between NYC and Boston, but at the same time be close enough to New Jersey's beaches and Pennsylvania for a nice day trip to Philadelphia or somewhere quieter like Scranton or Lancaster. I'll admit I don't know much about CT, and I've only been to it once, but Norwalk seems like a nice place to live, to me anyways. Maine might be more similar to Idaho, however, so you might like it there a little better. It's more off the beaten path. As for jobs, I have absolutely no idea what the demand is for diesel mechanics, so I couldn't tell ya....

Old 08-09-2008, 08:29 PM

124 posts, read 571,545 times
Out of all those choices, Massachusetts definitely. Boston is an amazing city.

Old 08-09-2008, 08:50 PM

5,728 posts, read 9,092,123 times
I'm a native of Connecticut. They will be somewhat limited in where they can live due to the high cost of living in southern New England. Norwalk is part of the Fairfield County area aka "the Gold Coast" and while is one of the cheaper places to live in Fairfield County it is anything but cheap.

Boston is every bit as expensive as Fairfield County and you'll be hard pressed to find an affordable home in a good suburban neighborhood on the wages that will be earned as a Diesel Mechanic. Perhaps if both the husband and wife are working they then might be able to swing it.

Before you do anything you really need to find out where these kind of jobs are in New England and then learn the pay scale. If he's going to be earning less than 75k a year, unless you are also going to be working, you will have to look at some places that are less expensive. 75k or less will not get you much house in most of southern New England. If you can earn in excess of 100k a year and don't have a lot of debt then it may be possible to get a pretty decent home in a fairly good community in southern New England.

Old 08-09-2008, 09:04 PM

5,205 posts, read 671,182 times
We moved to NE from upstate NY in 1990. After a stint in the Boston and N. Attleboro MA area we finally settled in CT.

Be prepared for a shock. Housing prices are high as are taxes (CT even has a yearly car tax ) But anywhere in NE outside of Maine will be expensive. There are postings elsewhere on City-Data that talk about CT schools. The better schools will be in the suburbs away from the bigger cities.

My husband is from NJ and though it's often the brunt of many jokes I like what I've seen so far. Winters are somewhat milder than in NE and the coastal areas are pretty nice (tho some are kitchy too) My husband's aunt lives in Toms River which is a nice small town not too far from Seaside. Next year I want to vacation in Cape May. I hear that there's a Christmas in July celebration complete with a boat parade and fireworks!

Of all the NE states I personally like RI--lots of coastline and the state is only 45 min. long! If you're ever in that area check out Newport and Providence (WaterFire in Providence is an experience like no other!)

It will all depend on what kind of lifestyle your looking for. If you are into winter sports and don't want to live in densely populated areas then ME, VT, NH are your best bet along with Western MA. If you're more into city or suburban life then the Boston area, CT, NJ or Long Island would be more suitable. North of Albany (Saratoga Springs, Ballston Spa) is nice, too, but then you'd be getting away from the coast.

I can't comment on anywhere further south than that other than to say beware of the traffic cops in Delaware

Last edited by Daisy Grey; 08-09-2008 at 09:23 PM..

Old 08-09-2008, 10:19 PM

338 posts, read 477,135 times
Northern New Jersey of course! Close to New York City

Summers are Hot & Humid (But many days with dryer air), mild spring and fall, and cold winters. Not as snowy and very cold as in New England.

Old 08-09-2008, 11:11 PM

87,014 posts, read 102,621,396 times
Take a trip and visit first before you commit to any place. You can find mature neighborhoods everywhere in the east. I would not make a move like this w/o researching thoroughly.

Old 08-10-2008, 12:56 AM

6,489 posts, read 16,161,688 times
Katiana is right. You guys should take some time to come over here for a visit before deciding to move here. You seem to think you'll love it, but will it meet your expectations? A couple of my friends here in NJ moved from other parts of the country (Wisconsin and Texas) without ever having been to the northeast before. They had no idea what to expect. Fortunately they both loved it, and both stuck around. But that's an incredible risk, especially when children are involved!! I think it'll be in your best interest to come look around, see if it's what you expected, see if you and your children feel comfortable and can imagine yourselves living and being happy.

The Northeast is a large region, with many different sub-regions, states, etc. What type of area are you looking to settle in? Do you want to be in one of the major metropolitan areas (suburbs of Boston, NYC, Philadelphia) or smaller metros like Providence, Hartford, Albany, etc.? Does a small town or rural lifestyle appeal to you? Would you like to be near the coast or near mountains (granted mountains here probably pale in comparison to what you have in Idaho) or both? Would you like living in the snowbelt of Upstate New York, or prefer the milder climate of the seacoast?

I have a relative who was a diesel mechanic. He worked on ship engines.

Old 08-10-2008, 07:53 AM

2,602 posts, read 4,320,886 times
Southern New Hampshire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.