Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 07:59 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,915,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djames9 View Post
I know...that's the only bad thing about winter...it's not green and white...just white... i mean eventually you get tired of seeing snow...i'd rather see green honestly....but i still love snow!!!!!
I'm from Northern New England and I will tell you that the evergreen trees are numerous there in many parts of the white mountains in winter you will see lots of green and white
Attached Thumbnails
Flat, Hilly, Mountainous, No Preference-north-conway.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 09:45 AM

595 posts, read 2,735,246 times
Quote:
Hills and Mountains mean nothing if it's not covered in hardwood forest, NOT coniferous pine tree forest...ugly!!!!!! lol sure there's hills and mountains in southern New Mexico and parts of the Southwest but there super dry... Hills and Mountains In Northern, Central and Southern Vermont would be a Dream Place to Live. anyone else agree with me?
I don't care how much trees or grass a mountain has. As long as its a mountain, and not flat, I'm OK.

I even think the mountains around Vegas are beautiful.

YES

NO

(all from flickr)

Last edited by illinoisboy; 08-11-2008 at 09:53 AM..

Old 08-11-2008, 10:10 AM

41,729 posts, read 74,665,297 times
Mountains are nice to lovely to look at, but a pain in the ass to live in. Give me relatively flat land any day.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:19 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,109,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Mountains are nice to lovely to look at, but a pain in the ass to live in. Give me relatively flat land any day.
No joke. Mountains just equal more snow (depending), worse driving conditions, steeper roads. They are gorgeous though!

Old 08-11-2008, 10:33 AM

257 posts, read 1,126,926 times
flat land with lots of water.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:22 PM

1,928 posts, read 5,148,800 times
I'm more of a flatlander, that's why I like the high plains. Being able to see forever, although I like mountains too.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:49 PM

294 posts, read 778,964 times
Phoenix. Love the mountains and flat plains. Love places that are wide open!

Old 08-11-2008, 09:58 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,817,690 times
Quote:
Hills and Mountains mean nothing if it's not covered in hardwood forest, NOT coniferous pine tree forest...ugly!!!!!! lol sure there's hills and mountains in southern New Mexico and parts of the Southwest but there super dry... Hills and Mountains In Northern, Central and Southern Vermont would be a Dream Place to Live. anyone else agree with me?
Yeah, pretty much.
No, the snow wouldn't bother me. Bring it on.
For winter weather reasons, I'd want to be able to get around without great hassle, so the smaller hills and somewhat flatter terrain of the Maine coast would be more ideal, I suppose. If I still couldn't get out much, that'd be okay.
I see purpose in extreme flatness, but I don't necessarily want to live in that again. It's what I grew up in. Great for rice farming... and other farming, as well.
I have no desire to live in the mountains out west again. Not my thing. Too dry. Too extreme. The Pacific northwest doesn't appeal to me either, although it should, with the cooler air and all. Yes, I've been there.
I like trees, thick forests, grass, rolling countryside...

Old 08-12-2008, 12:25 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,590,209 times
I've lived in Mississippi, Texas, and Tennessee now. I didn't care for MS too much, way too many pine trees for my taste. Tennessee was beautiful and I loved the opportunity to live in Knoxville in the foothills of the Smokey Mountains. That being said, I think I like Texas just as much. While it doesn't provide the same amount of greenery, it has some specific things that I didn't get to enjoy in Tennessee. The first thing is the blue bonnets. Not every year is great here, but when a good blue bonnet season hits, it is simply breathtaking. Nothing like a drive through the countryside looking at thousands of acres of blue colored fields. Also, for someone that loves the sky as much as me and my wife, the mountains tend to become annoying at times. I love to watch thunderstorms rolling in from a couple hundred miles away. I also love not having any obstructions to my view of the sunset. Me and the wife live by a lake here in Irving, and we can watch with a great view the beatiful TX sunrises and sunsets with all the thin and whispy clouds looking like divine paint brush strokes across the sky as far as the eye can see. Sure TN had some good sunsets, but the views were frequently blocked by the mountains and hill sides a little too much for my liking.

So all in all, I think I would prefer to live in a flatter, but I'm happy in the hills also.

Old 08-12-2008, 12:32 PM

18,962 posts, read 32,424,325 times
I prefer somewhat hilly terrains with mountains in the background. I like San Diego's layout with all the flat mesa's with communities built atop and wide, deep canyons separating them. Having hills and mountains also gives for great views of cities and their surrounding landscape. The view of San Francisco from the Oakland Hills or Marin Headlands is amazing as is SD from various other areas. I like views from atop a mountain a little bit away from the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.