Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 12:35 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,923,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I never said it was the coldest place on earth for average temps. I said for winter min lows (the extreme low temp reached each winter).

Go look at cities around the globe at the same latitude (at sea level) as New Orleans, Houston, Charleston, etc and then compare record low temps and average winter lowest temp (growing zone if you will). You will not find anywhere on earth with the winter low temp extreme anomalies that you will find in the eastern two thirds of the USA.
The US South sees cold of a magnitude no more extreme than any other subtropical region of the Northern Hemisphere.The growing zones of the US South are comparable to those of Chinese, European, and North African subtropical regions. This will especially be obvious once the South returns to the warm subtropical climate of its normal, warm epoch, which it is in the process of doing so right now. Look at the native vegetation of the South, and you will see that is is no more hardier than the native vegetation of other subtropical regions in the northern hemisphere.

Its no wonder that Southerners have so much hospitality; they know they have it made climate wise, being that they are in subtropical paradise.

But lets say that you are correct, and that due to geographic circumstances, the South will forever be prone to cold outbreaks. Even then, we have very smart scientists that can solve the problem, along with very advanced technology to back them up (DARPA built robot cheetahs that can run faster than Usain Bolt, and shoot lasers):

Giant Walls Could Stop Tornadoes in the Midwest, Says Physicist - TIME
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 01:39 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,927,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
The US South sees cold of a magnitude no more extreme than any other subtropical region of the Northern Hemisphere.The growing zones of the US South are comparable to those of Chinese, European, and North African subtropical regions. This will especially be obvious once the South returns to the warm subtropical climate of its normal, warm epoch, which it is in the process of doing so right now. Look at the native vegetation of the South, and you will see that is is no more hardier than the native vegetation of other subtropical regions in the northern hemisphere.

Its no wonder that Southerners have so much hospitality; they know they have it made climate wise, being that they are in subtropical paradise.

But lets say that you are correct, and that due to geographic circumstances, the South will forever be prone to cold outbreaks. Even then, we have very smart scientists that can solve the problem, along with very advanced technology to back them up (DARPA built robot cheetahs that can run faster than Usain Bolt, and shoot lasers):

Giant Walls Could Stop Tornadoes in the Midwest, Says Physicist - TIME

Lol, no wall is ever going to be built.

As far as this cold and warm epoch you talk about, I've never heard such a thing. How bout some links from scientific sources regarding this "cold epoch" in the South. Ever since record keeping, it is obvious that every 20-30 years the South gets hit with severe winter temp anomalies (as does the rest of the eastern US).

Old 04-28-2016, 01:55 PM

14 posts, read 15,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
A question:

Does Miami metropolitan area have more palm trees than Los Angeles metropolitan?
yes

Old 04-28-2016, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
New York!!
quit those lies y'all don't have palm trees only in the buildings in some stores probably but y'all don't have palm trees outside Florida probably I think has the most Palm trees

Old 04-28-2016, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDSU View Post
sorry i put miami down i guess i am jealous
yo can't k **** about Miami probably haven't been there it's beautiful asf, best nightlife, south beach, Fine girls everywhere, and other **** ofc it's going to be hoods in Miami it used be a dangerous city of all back in the day but now it's different so yea

Old 04-28-2016, 04:35 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,056,183 times
Coastal southeast from Wilmington down to FL and west along the gulf.

Nearby in the list would be SoCal and other places in the southwest.

Old 04-28-2016, 04:36 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,056,183 times
Quote:
Lol, no wall is ever going to be built.

As far as this cold and warm epoch you talk about, I've never heard such a thing. How bout some links from scientific sources regarding this "cold epoch" in the South. Ever since record keeping, it is obvious that every 20-30 years the South gets hit with severe winter temp anomalies (as does the rest of the eastern US).
I scrolled up, and before I saw your name, I knew this post was by you.

Old 04-29-2016, 10:31 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,965,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfloridaboii View Post
yo can't k **** about Miami probably haven't been there it's beautiful asf, best nightlife, south beach, Fine girls everywhere, and other **** ofc it's going to be hoods in Miami it used be a dangerous city of all back in the day but now it's different so yea
Who talks like this? Seriously. Must be a Florida thing. Ill keep my distance.

Old 12-26-2020, 02:40 AM

346 posts, read 199,158 times
Quote:
I'll show exactly how different the US South is to just about any other subtropical region in the world. It is the average winter min temp or basically the average lowest temp reached each year averaged over many years. Another thing to look at is record lowest temp ever.

Good old Savannah has a record low of 3F. Wow how subtropical is that. Buenos Aires record low is 22F. Massive difference right there. Every single winter Savannah will drop to the low 20's or upper teens F. The average winter min temp averages around 18-19F in Savannah (USDA Hardiness Zone 8b). The average winter min temp in BA averages 29F (USDA Hardiness zone 9B). BA is the same hardiness zone as Orlando, FL, probably even warmer. BA grows many more types and variety of subtropical foliage that Savannah can only dream about.

Look at the temp bands below. BA has only 10% of winter nights with a temp below 39F. Meanwhile in Savannah shown above 10% of winter nights are colder than 26F. Huge difference in the temps each and every winter in each place. The US South has the coldest temp extremes of any subtropical climate in the world. Even Sochi in Russia hasn't gotten as cold as Savannah lol and Sochi is at latitude 43 North which is further north than Boston.

Now I hope you understand why Palms are so hard to get to survive in the inland South, and even in Houston and Savannah will be killed every 30 years or so. Nothing at all to block the massive arctic invasions every year. No stability to winter temps.
Yeah, yeahy, I know I always quote this guy from old threads but I always do this to remind people, the Southeast is a stressful beast when it comes to growing beautiful subtropicals - especially in the inland south (coastal south fortunately not so much but you still limited on what you can grow compared to other subtropical areas on other continents). Yeah you get away with some sabals, live oaks, magnolias, or maybe a short washie or two in the inland areas of the south - but people are only generally comfortable planting temperate vegetation here and Tom said it best why.

Old 12-26-2020, 03:31 AM

346 posts, read 199,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Like this grove of Washies 248 miles inland.

The trunks have been shaved & lower fronds removed every start of Winter or before the 1st hard freeze for the past 20+ years. Only a couple have died & they had to cut them down.
Yea, that is doing way too much. I'm not against protecting plants in the winter in your own yard, nursery, or greenhouse but in a public place like this...nah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.