U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-12-2008, 09:38 AM
 
Location: Inner Loop H-town & Austin
179 posts, read 160,190 times
Reputation: 75

Advertisements

In the 2004 Presidential elections, over 75% of Dallas voters voted for John Kerry over George W. Bush, making the city the 32nd most liberal city in the United States by sheer percentages and more liberal than traditionally left-leaning cities such as Los Angeles, Milwaukee

from Wikipedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-12-2008, 09:42 AM
 
769 posts, read 2,012,016 times
Reputation: 407
Can I ask a question or two? What's with all these whose more liberal and who is more conservative threads? Why is it so important?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2008, 09:44 AM
 
Location: Inner Loop H-town & Austin
179 posts, read 160,190 times
Reputation: 75
Because certain people (the kind that populate boards like this) tend to find conservative places undesirable. It's people's preferences, so people want to know. Like any other preference in economics, there is no "why" beyond the bare fact of the preference. Since people value it, it's important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2008, 09:52 AM
 
769 posts, read 2,012,016 times
Reputation: 407
Okay, I was just asking. I'd also like to point out that Milwaukee's metropolitan area is only 1,773,519 compared to Dallas's over 6.1 million. Population factor should be considered in your argument.

Also, Los Angeles has a metropolitan area of over 12 million and the mixture is quite volatile. Of course it is unlikely that so many people in one city are going to vote for one candidate over the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2008, 09:56 AM
 
7,279 posts, read 13,535,512 times
Reputation: 3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by What! View Post
Okay, I was just asking. I'd also like to point out that Milwaukee's metropolitan area is only 1,773,519 compared to Dallas's over 6.1 million. Population factor should be considered in your argument.

Also, Los Angeles has a metropolitan area of over 12 million and the mixture is quite volatile. Of course it is unlikely that so many people in one city are going to vote for one candidate over the other.
What does population have to do with percentages?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2008, 10:00 AM
 
Location: Inner Loop H-town & Austin
179 posts, read 160,190 times
Reputation: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by What! View Post
Okay, I was just asking. I'd also like to point out that Milwaukee's metropolitan area is only 1,773,519 compared to Dallas's over 6.1 million. Population factor should be considered in your argument.

Also, Los Angeles has a metropolitan area of over 12 million and the mixture is quite volatile. Of course it is unlikely that so many people in one city are going to vote for one candidate over the other.
We're talking about city, not metro. Sorry. There are tons of conservative suburbs in both L.A. and Dallas.

But even if we were talking metro and not city...who cares? We're talking about percentages. And the fact that Dallas, the city, is so huge just makes the stat all the more impressive because it means there are a ton of liberals there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2008, 10:04 AM
 
7,279 posts, read 13,535,512 times
Reputation: 3610
I was curious about seeing what other cities are high on the list. Do you have a link? I couldn't find the stats on Wikipedia...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2008, 10:05 AM
 
Location: Inner Loop H-town & Austin
179 posts, read 160,190 times
Reputation: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
I was curious about seeing what other cities are high on the list. Do you have a link? I couldn't find the stats on Wikipedia...
I only saw that little snippet - go to the dallas article under politics, they might have a footnote that cites it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2008, 10:07 AM
 
7,279 posts, read 13,535,512 times
Reputation: 3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by calid00d View Post
I only saw that little snippet - go to the dallas article under politics, they might have a footnote that cites it.
Cool. thx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2008, 10:58 AM
 
769 posts, read 2,012,016 times
Reputation: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
What does population have to do with percentages?
If you don't know I'm not gonna tell you. It is really quite simple really. Think about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top