Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Houstonians, are Dallas and Atlanta similar to Houston?
Yes 6 31.58%
No 13 68.42%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 09:52 PM

940 posts, read 3,179,041 times

Advertisements

sweetcimber, spade, and houstoner, you all can't answer this. you;re all on gag order. lts see what they say

i made voters public, so i expect that your names don't show up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 09:58 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,492,531 times
I say they are similar in many ways, transportation hubs, large diverse and booming economies and explosive growth. The only real difference is Houston area is on the ocean with a huge port.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:01 PM

20,500 posts, read 33,311,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
sweetcimber, spade, and houstoner, you all can't answer this. you;re all on gag order. lts see what they say

i made voters public, so i expect that your names don't show up!
Why couldn't you just name me the Houstonians that you said hated to be placed in the same sentence as the other two Southern powerhouses in the other thread instead of starting this one? Is it because, you made that up?

Oh and btw...All three have similarities and differences.

Old 08-12-2008, 11:04 PM

179 posts, read 197,856 times
No. Atlanta is a small city in the middle of a big metro. Houston is a huge city in the middle of a big metro. Houston is much more international and diverse because of the insane number of corporations, plus its on the ocean. Also Atlanta has a lot of "southern" old style stuff.

Dallas is just....different.

Old 08-12-2008, 11:50 PM

940 posts, read 3,179,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Why couldn't you just name me the Houstonians that you said hated to be placed in the same sentence as the other two Southern powerhouses in the other thread instead of starting this one? Is it because, you made that up?

Oh and btw...All three have similarities and differences.
cuz I don't have time to spare, I'm watching the olympics. And I messed up, I meant to ask if houstonians hate being compared to Atlanta and Dallas. I've seen a few Houstonians postings that said they hate being compared to them cuz they say Houston is way better

Old 08-13-2008, 12:25 AM

1,018 posts, read 4,094,759 times
There is a rivalry between the three cities, but usually rivalries come out of similarities more than differences. The three areas are far more similar than anyone from them wants to admit. They are definitely the big three economic powerhouses and population centers of the south and they share similar cultural heritages.

Of course Houston and Atlanta are on the short end of Super Bowl trophies...

Old 08-13-2008, 01:10 AM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,133,525 times
They're each just much cheaper, slightly newer versions of LA....same suburban sprawl, decentralized growth model....less powerful, less well-educated (even vs LA), more back-office-oriented economies....much worse weather....

Old 08-13-2008, 05:34 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,632,751 times
The three cities are similar in that they're Southern sunbelt cities, sprawling, suburban, and auto-oriented, and are economic and transportation hubs in their respective regions.

There's only a rivalry between Dallas and Houston, not Dallas and Atlanta or Houston and Atlanta.

Houston and Dallas are not less well-educated than L.A. Atlanta appears to be more educated than all three, however.

From City-Data:
For population 25 years and over in Los Angeles

* High school or higher: 66.6%
* Bachelor's degree or higher: 25.5%
* Graduate or professional degree: 9.1%
* Unemployed: 9.3%
* Mean travel time to work: 29.6 minutes

For population 25 years and over in Dallas

* High school or higher: 70.4%
* Bachelor's degree or higher: 27.7%
* Graduate or professional degree: 9.6%
* Unemployed: 6.7%
* Mean travel time to work: 26.9 minutes

For population 25 years and over in Houston

* High school or higher: 70.4%
* Bachelor's degree or higher: 27.0%
* Graduate or professional degree: 9.7%
* Unemployed: 7.6%
* Mean travel time to work: 27.4 minutes

For population 25 years and over in Atlanta

* High school or higher: 76.9%
* Bachelor's degree or higher: 34.6%
* Graduate or professional degree: 13.8%
* Unemployed: 14.0%
* Mean travel time to work: 28.3 minutes

Old 08-13-2008, 09:34 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,763,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
For population 25 years and over in Atlanta

* High school or higher: 76.9%
* Bachelor's degree or higher: 34.6%
* Graduate or professional degree: 13.8%
* Unemployed: 14.0%
* Mean travel time to work: 28.3 minutes
They may need to update the average commuting times in Atlanta since the last time the stats were put in. Atlanta metro is STILL averaging 50,000 to 150,000 people per year every year moving into the metro area (most with cars).

Interesting article with chart if you scroll down showing newer commute times: Commutes just get longer, survey finds - U.S. news - MSNBC.com - and this is 3 years old, so it's probably higher by now.

And a local news .pdf which discusses the "jump" in commute times over a short period of time here: http://www.cobbrides.com/pdfs/Atlant...te%20times.pdf

Old 08-13-2008, 02:17 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,094,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post

There's only a rivalry between Dallas and Houston, not Dallas and Atlanta or Houston and Atlanta.
The BIG rivalry is Dallas vs. Houston, but I think there's some rivalry vs Atlanta for both of these cities. Especially in the wake of the 96 Olympics...ruffled the feathers in Big D and H town that some other city in the South could host those. Plus the Braves-Astros provided some rivalry (mainly one-sided since the Braves typically won...unfortunately).

I'm surprised to seee 14% unemployment in ATL for over 25. Must include retirees? Others? Whatever the method, I assume the same is used for DAL and HOU and that seems weirdly out of line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.