Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2010, 07:56 PM

65 posts, read 253,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2beautifulkids View Post
I want to thank everyone that has answer my questions. Now I would like to ask another is Colorado better to live in then Michigan. My husband and I have lived here our whole lives and we have came across some pretty mean people when it comes to us being a mixed couple so I know it can't be that much worse then what we are use to. I just really want a safe place to bring my kids up in. The weather part don't bother us we are use to Michigan weather so were are usually hit with the lake effect snow all the time. It will be nice to get away from that.

Yes people in Coloardo are about 100 times more progressive then people living in Michigan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 09:10 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
If you go with Colorado, Denver is your best bet. Along with Boulder, it is more "liberal". Keep in mind that Boulder isn't the most "diverse" city.

Again, you stay in MI, Ann Arbor would be perfect.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:28 AM

5 posts, read 24,014 times
I moved to Michigan in 2007, and I am planning on leaving within the next year. It is not a good place for people who don't see race as an existing characteristic to describe someone. The best experiences I have had in interracial experiences is in the Eastern Pennsylvania (East of the Susquehanna River), Southern New Jersey, Eastern Maryland, Baltimore/Washington DC/Northern Virginia, NYC/North New Jersey, Connecticut, Hampton Roads are of Virginia, Richmond, VA, Charlotte NC, Myrtle Beach, SC, Orlando FL, Miami FL, Jacksonville FL, Knoxville TN, Louisville KY, Chicago, Cleveland (within city limits), Columbus OH, West Virginia (between Pittsburgh and Morgantown), Pittsburgh PA metro, Houston TX, San Antonio TX, Dallas TX, San Diego (I felt like a celebrity there), San Francisco, Seattle- from personal experience in my travels, I have seen an abundance of interracial couples and have felt secure in being involved in interracial relationships in these areas. Everywhere else, I have had very unpleasant experiences. Michigan is HORRIBLE. So is the rest of Ohio outside of the cities I mentioned. I have had the MOST pleasant experiences with interracial relationships in the Maryland-Virginia-DC area, by far.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:38 AM

Wait, I stand corrected. Actually, I have had pleasant interracial relationship experiences, and seen an abundance of interracial relationships, but in very select areas of Michigan... particularly, LANSING/ EAST LANSING- this area was the most pleasant area and the most accepting, almost like Lansing wasn't part of the rest of the state at all... and I have seen "more than usual" interracial relationships in Kalamazoo, and around the Detroit Metro (northwestern, western, and northern suburbs). If I absolutely HAD to stay in Michigan for the rest of my life, after being all over the rest of the state, my choice, having multiracial children and accustomed to interracial relationships, I would quickly choose Lansing. No other city in Michigan is as accepting and welcoming, or as pleasant.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:43 AM

Ann Arbor? It's okay. Not the best. If you include Ypsilanti, you will find alot of younger people (college aged or younger) in interracial relationships, and the experience seems more accepting, but you will not find a lot of diversity in Ann Arbor in regards to African Americans unless you happen to head over into the portion of Ann Arbor that kind of melts into Ypsilanti, where there is an abundance of african americans. From what I have seen, I used to go to college there, so I spent two years daily in the area.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:48 AM

My advice? If you want a good place for your kids, and your family, and you want access to good jobs in a wide variety of professions that pays well, and you are seeking quality housing where you can still obtain it affordably within a one hour commute via public metro or transit... then the only choice you have is Philadelphia/Southern New Jersey/Baltimore/Washington DC/Northern Virginia. There is no other place in the country that you will find that level of comfort, security, and peace of mind. It is truly beautiful there, and close to everything. One weekend, you can easily spend the day shopping in Philadelphia or New York City, or browsing the museums in Washington DC, or spending a lazy day at the Inner Harbor in Baltimore, hitting the zoo or maybe the National Aquarium, and then heading over to Little Italy for dinner and gelato. Simply, there is no better area in the country for those of us who don't care what race someone is, we just love people. There, those people will love you back. And you will feel it. There is no comparison. Period.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:51 AM

Oh, and I can't forget the Maryland, Virginia, and Southern New Jersey atlantic shore. Nothing like it anywhere. A quick hour to three hours depending on where you are within that region, and you can swim in the Chesapeake Bay, enjoy the excellent, delicious seafood, Maryland Crab, and of course, the beautiful Atlantic Ocean... Now you see why I wanna go home so bad?

Old 04-16-2010, 10:29 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,690,230 times
Rural Mississippi

Old 04-16-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingmichigan2010 View Post
Wait, I stand corrected. Actually, I have had pleasant interracial relationship experiences, and seen an abundance of interracial relationships, but in very select areas of Michigan... particularly, LANSING/ EAST LANSING- this area was the most pleasant area and the most accepting, almost like Lansing wasn't part of the rest of the state at all... and I have seen "more than usual" interracial relationships in Kalamazoo, and around the Detroit Metro (northwestern, western, and northern suburbs). If I absolutely HAD to stay in Michigan for the rest of my life, after being all over the rest of the state, my choice, having multiracial children and accustomed to interracial relationships, I would quickly choose Lansing. No other city in Michigan is as accepting and welcoming, or as pleasant.
I agree with the Lansing and Kalamazoo areas in that regard. Lansing reminded me of my area in that regard and in the more down to earth vibe about it.

I also think that Ann Arbor is good as well.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingmichigan2010 View Post
Ann Arbor? It's okay. Not the best. If you include Ypsilanti, you will find alot of younger people (college aged or younger) in interracial relationships, and the experience seems more accepting, but you will not find a lot of diversity in Ann Arbor in regards to African Americans unless you happen to head over into the portion of Ann Arbor that kind of melts into Ypsilanti, where there is an abundance of african americans. From what I have seen, I used to go to college there, so I spent two years daily in the area.
Ann Arbor isn't the "Blackest" city, but they are definitely there. It's probably around 10% Black.....Ypsilanti isn't bad either, but it's more blue collar than AA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.