U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 11:40 PM

1,919 posts, read 2,508,558 times
I have an answer for the OP.

The answer is is that there is no one place for someone like you!

It may seem like a harsh reality, but there will be racists everywhere you go!

But guess what! There will be accepting people wherever you go!

Let me ask you this question: If you limit your movement based on what you percieve other people as, aren't the people you dont like winning?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 02:48 PM

2,775 posts, read 8,419,328 times
Somewhere like Philly, NYC, or Boston would be good. I think bigger cities tend to be more tolerant.

Old 11-19-2007, 02:54 PM

6,971 posts, read 12,065,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tt85248 View Post
I'm going to jump into the fray here Now this is coming from an interracial magazine which conducted its own research so take it with a grain of salt.

10 best/worst cities for interracial couples

Best

1. San Francisco, CA
2. Seattle, WA
3. Minneappolis, Mn (sp)
4. Denver, Co
5. Phoenix, AZ
6. San Diego, CA
7. Honolulu, HI
8. New York, NY
9. Los Angeles, CA
10. Oakland, CA

Worst

1. Birmingham, AL
2. Detroit, Mi
3. Philadelphia, PA
4. Cleveland, OH
5. Atlanta, GA
6. Cincinnati, OH
7. Pittsburgh, PA
8. Jacksonville, FL
9. Memphis, TN
10. New Orleans LA

I believe the survey was done with metros of 500,000 or more. I tend to agree with all of these picks due to the diversity and culture of the best cities and the lack of diversity culture and history of the worst cities.
hmmm, weird that Philly is on the worst list. i don't see any problems in Center City. its pretty diverse over here. maybe its in the outskirts (north/south philly).

Old 11-19-2007, 02:57 PM

btw, i should change 'any' to 'many'

Old 11-19-2007, 03:01 PM

2,775 posts, read 8,419,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
hmmm, weird that Philly is on the worst list. i don't see any problems in Center City. its pretty diverse over here. maybe its in the outskirts (north/south philly).
I think they're basing it on the majority. Detroit, New Orleans, Philly, etc. all have large African American populations, so that automatically makes it intolerant. I don't agree with it. I see plenty of happy interracial couples in Philly at the store together, playing with the kids together, no problems, no funny looks from anybody.

Old 11-19-2007, 03:08 PM

exactly futurecop. it IS the city of brotherly love after all . i don't see negative/positive looks of any kind. its the 'more business as usual' mentality.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:30 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,324,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierob82 View Post
I live in DC/Northern VA and yeah theres alot of interracial couples here but I don't see many black people dating outside their race. From what I see though its mostly white guys/asian females or white females with middle eastern/hispanic men.
I see what you're talking about, but in my experience, that tends to be how it is in DC and Maryland. In Northern Virginia, at least in my experience, it's anything goes for anyone who wants a part of it.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:41 PM

21,157 posts, read 25,713,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
I see what you're talking about, but in my experience, that tends to be how it is in DC and Maryland. In Northern Virginia, at least in my experience, it's anything goes for anyone who wants a part of it.
How things change:

When I lived in Arlington till 1978 saw me leave; I know of one 'Black' family who lived N of Lee Hwy outside of Halls Hill.

Said family was of Jamaican or similar background; 4 (lovely) daughters and three of them was engaged/married to White guys------and, the 4th girl dated only White guys I believe.

Old 11-26-2007, 12:05 PM

1 posts, read 5,693 times
Default Florida

I'm white and my wife is black, as is her daugther/my stepdaughter. We have never encountered any discrimination in Florida. We have lived both in more urban South Florida, and now live in more sedate east central coastal Florida. Both are fine--its who you are, what you do, and what you stand for. Bottom line.

Old 11-26-2007, 05:37 PM

236 posts, read 410,434 times
Try Mississippi,the state is very accepting of mixed race couples.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.