U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 04:03 AM

196 posts, read 510,250 times
If you are respectful of your neighbors, keep your property nice, mow your lawn and your children have manners, I don't see a problem. Not everyone is going to accept mixed race families and that's their right, just as it is your right to choose what you want. If friends are very important to you , that may be hard. I would be more concerned about the needs and feelings of the children. So check places before moving. It seems that many people have issues with people that are unlike them. There is no easy answer. Good Luck to you. Don't depend on others for your happiness; find it yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 03:51 PM

1 posts, read 7,328 times
Hello everyone, wow this post has certainly gone off on some wild tangents. So I'll just attempt to revitalize the original question of where is a good place for interracial couples to live.
Anyway I am black and my wife is white, we dated through high school and got married in NC about 4 yrs ago ( which we found to be affordable but socially unacceptable for us) we had to deal with a lot of $%&T whilst dating. We have since moved to Honolulu HI, (due to school) and have been here for 6-7 years

On recent trips back to NC (during holidays) we find the general environs more and more diverse however their is still a blanket of unspoken racial-tension over most of the areas even in large cities like raleigh (though the young people are changing this).
If you have never been in an interracial relationship its hard to know the feeling, but unless you are really oblivious to the outside world most couples I know become acutely aware of what's going on around them (usually because on the mainland people react very rudely)
Its less noticeable however since the NC lifestyle (especially in Raleigh and Cary) is so transient and you will do more driving in a day than walking around most often. On my last visit I felt fairly comfortable going out as a couple. but still not to the point where I would want to relocate because for me in the past I had so many bad experiences and besides this place is very much frozen in the past.

As for myself I think Hawaii is a mixed bag. The good: Being an interracial couple out here is like breathing air, its second nature you never feel different from anyone else (atleast from the standpoint of a couple). Indeed it is truly a unique place in that you dont even think about it most of the time, which if you ask me is how the entire world should be. The only other time I experienced this feeling ironically enough was while visiting Europe (france specifically). Therefore if you do get stares from anyone its 9 times out of 10 from white tourists who are visiting from the south (usually in the airport or in waikiki ) but if you live here you probably dont go to either of those places that often anyway. The locals (mainly of asian descent) are often interested in cultural differences which can be annoying because of the lack of education about African American culture out here. (people will immediately assume especially with B/M , W/F couples that we are military which is ok because it means I get a good discount at the movies. But stereotypes do exist as always an Hawaii is no different. Its funny though because the stereotypes are for different cultures whereas on the mainland they might be mexican, white, black, in Hawaii they are primarily chinese, japanese, korean, filipino-related

I often find opportunities to promote a positive image when confronted with the usual questions about my ethnic background. However the strong asian (particularly japanese) influence of this place cannot be ignored as it is everywhere. (For some reason this bothers people who can't adapt I guess) Hawaii is definitely unique and for many reasons a great place to live. However the unbelievable inflation (especially in terms of housing market), terrible public school system (private school is necessary) and culture shock that results from living on a rock thousands of miles off the coast of "civilization" is just too big of a move for many people to make. E pecially if you've become spoiled by the many convieniences afforded by the "mainland lifestyle". One aspect of this is great customer service which in my opinion only exists for the very rich in hawaii. The laid back culture simply does that value this aspect of society and you may be frustrated by this. Another issue is that many things that work quickly and efficiently in the other 49 states are just "ghetto and undeveloped here", and people are generally more lazy about things. In general thing that just wouldnt happen on the mainland are common place here, and you'll find yourself saying, how can they still have this problem in 2008?? Ultimatley if you are relocating here, and you plan to live in the city, unless you are literally a millionaire then you will undoubtedly rent and pay a high price for an apartment that will most likely be roach infested and have to spend most of your weekends bargain hunting and scraping by to survive so if you value a house and a yard this may not be the place to live.

The sad thing is that for what you get you are often paying just as much or double as you would on the mainland, but if you value the quality of life then its more than worth it.
*Another important note for anyone considering living here. Unfortunately white people are often discriminated against the most out here as it is inevitably a part of the history of the islands (read up on how hawaii became a state) This is not always the rule but often the exception as there are certain neighborhoods where you just dont want to go,though in our case we have found many friendly people throughout oahu who have opened their homes to us which brings me to my last point. The reason why so many people are doing "ok" here is that they bought houses back in the 50's -80's before the japanese housing boom back then real estate was extremely cheap, this may frustrate you as you'll routinely note that a 1 bedroom tract house in the city build in the 60's will cost like $650,000.. and its a matter of time before people start renting out their closets as studios..... welcome to hawaii

Old 08-31-2008, 05:04 PM

2 posts, read 9,283 times
I hear that North Carolina is beautiful. I black & my husband is Puerto Rican (from NY), we currently live Az (i'm a native) and we want to live somewhere less hot, more culture and better oppurtunities for minorities. We have 3 small children and I can't imagine them growing up in Az. How is the realestate market there? My husband is a construction worker (how is the pay)? We had planned on Miami but i've read so many screwed up tings about it, it's just not what I believe is for our family anymore. Is there many Puerto Ricans there?

Old 08-31-2008, 07:57 PM

654 posts, read 894,442 times
I'm surprised that no one has yet mentioned the Tampa Bay area. B/W couples are very common here, and very accepted.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:11 PM

13 posts, read 29,875 times
Don't think Orlando is a good place for interracial dating. I am not in an interracial relationship but I have a good friend who is a W/M and I am a B/F and we are just hanging the two of use we often get stares from both races. It can be a bit awkward sometimes. Anyway that's the south for you.

Old 11-25-2008, 03:24 PM

19 posts, read 29,941 times
Tampa is definitely a place where you can live in almost any neighborhood and find people of all races and interracial couples as well. Especially in the eastern part of Hillsborough county. But the cost of living is very high and the job market sucks.

Old 11-25-2008, 10:40 PM

196 posts, read 392,698 times
California is definitely in the top five, if not the best.

Pretty much all big cities in California are very accepting of mixed-race couples, but one that sticks out the most in my opinion, is San Diego. I've never seen so many mixed-couples in one city, ever, and of all combination's you can think of. One afternoon in Downtown San Diego will help you understand what I mean.

Old 12-06-2008, 08:00 PM

1 posts, read 6,842 times
When I was in a interracial affair, I liked the attention and mystery it gave me-however, i was in a swedish university..my ex girlfriend was from bolivia-how i miss my youth!!

Old 12-06-2008, 09:17 PM

3,109 posts, read 4,655,597 times
Going by facts, Hawaii have the highest percentage of biracial/multiracial people in the US, so I'm guessing Hawaii would be the best for interracial couples. Chicago area and mostly large cities are decent places for interracial people also.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:19 AM

1,567 posts, read 2,248,990 times
I posted this earlier, but although have a lot of personal issues with this area (particularly the city and its eastern suburbs), the DC area is decent for interracial couples, but it truly depends where:

DC itself (particularly Northwest, Capitol Hill and other gentrified parts) is decent for almost all types of couples. The only parts that would be a problem (particularly for Black and Hispanic males) are neighborhoods where trust-fund having yuppies from the Northeast abound. Maryland, particularly Montgomery County, has the same status as NW DC when it comes to interracial relationships: some neighborhoods are pretty accepting, and some might only accept White Males being in an interracial relationship. Prince Georges County should be avoided by interracial couples, unless they can fit into and deal well with the more "urban/rap culture". Norther Virginia, which IMO is the best part of the area for IR couples, accepts all brands. Whether its the common Asian Female/White Male or the "usually controversial" Black Male/White Female couplings, the rules of 1950's Americana don't apply here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.