U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-27-2008, 03:15 PM

112 posts, read 191,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
I've actually found the opposite to be true. While it's much more common to see black men with white women than white men with black women, it seems to provoke more hostile reactions, particularly from black women as there are a good number who feel that white women are stealing their men and that black men (particularly those who are successful) are selling out by dating them. The difference in treatment may not be in terms of verbal insults or physical threats, but in terms of glances, body language, treatment and gossiping, whereas I haven't seen that behavior with WM/BW.
I have to emphatically disagree with this!!! I am a black woman and my husband is white and we live in San Diego. I've lived here for several years and I find it to be the most covertly racist city I've ever lived in!!! We are dying to get out. I'm so sick and tired of people saying how black women are jealous of bm/ww. Most of the time the black men are tired and zeros and the ww are trashy or fat. Please believe me white women hate to see me with a white man also and it is about time the truth is revealed. I have had ww laugh, gossip to their friend and stare. I even had one take a cell phone photo of me and send it to someone, so how ignorant is that??!!?!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 03:24 PM

31 posts, read 79,382 times
I suggest you check out comments on Charlottesville, VA. Having lived in different countries and cities, Charlottesville to me is a place to feel accepted and live happily no matter what combination of races or origin.
Bets of luck to you, Tanja

Old 12-27-2008, 06:03 PM

1,578 posts, read 3,718,705 times
nj has a lot.. i live live here. my wife is black and im white.

but i think you would do good in Montclair, NJ.

Old 12-28-2008, 01:43 AM

7,932 posts, read 7,764,688 times
Portland, Oregon.

An interesting, contradictory statistic: Portland is considered one of the "whitest cities" in America. However ~ it also has one of the highest concentrations of mixed-marriages/relationships in the nation. And I believe this statistic based on my own observations. And, better yet, the mass DOES NOT CARE! As someone earlier mentioned, yes ~ you will experience some prejudice anywhere you go. But the extent of it depends on where you are, and I really do think you would feel general peace in Portland.

One's biggest concern to moving to Portland would be economical ones. Jobs have been scarce for several years, way before "the crash". And it's expensive here. But check it out. And good luck in your search.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:44 AM

73 posts, read 212,099 times
I'm white and my wife is black and we have three young children. We have lived in ATL, Philly, NYC, and LA with all, some , and/or none of our children.

ATL was cool. We never felt bothered by anyone that disagreed with our relationship. A few stares from time to time but nothing serious. For the south, it's surprisingly accepting and progressive. Head outside the city and you are on your own. Also, ATL is a materialist mecca so if you are into posessions and bourgie(sp?) black folks then you will fit in fine.

Philly, again, never any problems. However, as a city, Philly completely sucks. The local govt. is screwed and corrupt, the city is blessed with a bevy of natives that share no pride or respect for anything, and there is garbage everywhere- and it's not in a container. There are some good universities, public transportation is better than most cities(albeit expensive in comparison to cities like NY), and there are some good options for public school if you work the system hard. Overall, would not reccomend anybody live here unless you love ignorance and garbage. OMT- Although we have never had any real problems as a couple/family, Philly is still an extremely segregated city- I read that it graded out at nearly 80% segragation on an index of discimilarity (100% would be completely segregated).

LA was fun and we were barley noticed by most. Once in a while the gangstas' on venice beach and the santa monica pier would act funny but nothing serious. Honestly, folks in LA were too busy worrying about how they looked to give a damn about us -LOL!

NY was awesome except we encountered one of our worst interracial couple moments ever while going down an escalator at k-mart at MSG. A "black jew"(I think that's what they call themselves- they are in most major cities and stand downtown yelling at passerbyes while they are dressed in tattered, star wars like clothing) said something to us that we will never forget. Unfortunately, the comment was directed at our 6 month old child, otherwise it wouldn't have mattered much. Other than that, NY is an awesome place for the interracial family and children. Everyone seems to just blend and it's international and intellectual flavor help out immensely.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:39 PM
Status: "Write the vision and make it plain" (set 11 days ago)

31,550 posts, read 37,260,454 times
People don't care in Upstate NY. Some places are better than others like Ithaca, the major cities and the other college towns too.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:52 AM

1 posts, read 3,080 times
Im in a interracial relationship. Im White(italian) and my girl is Carribbean. Im looking to leave Brooklyn NY soon due to not getting anything for your money. I saw the list above but was shock to see Atlanta GA as one of the worst; Sucks cause new property down there is soooo much cheaper. So DC/Metro huh? Anywhere else? Feedback?

Old 01-19-2009, 07:03 PM
Status: "Write the vision and make it plain" (set 11 days ago)

31,550 posts, read 37,260,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philosophic View Post
Im in a interracial relationship. Im White(italian) and my girl is Carribbean. Im looking to leave Brooklyn NY soon due to not getting anything for your money. I saw the list above but was shock to see Atlanta GA as one of the worst; Sucks cause new property down there is soooo much cheaper. So DC/Metro huh? Anywhere else? Feedback?
Yeah, DC is actually good. Columbia, MD outside of DC is known for having their share of interracial familes. Northern Virginia is known for that as well.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:32 AM

73 posts, read 212,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philosophic View Post
DC Metro can be expensive. If you're thinking about ATL I say give it another look. I had pretty positive experiences down there.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:15 AM

27,153 posts, read 22,578,539 times
From what I hear, Seattle and Minneapolis are good places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.