U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-03-2009, 04:47 AM

2,899 posts, read 1,312,521 times

Advertisements

Houston is great for interracial couples. I see different combos everywhere around here. No one so much as bats an eye.

I should know since I am in one myself
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 03:16 PM

10,141 posts, read 14,904,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamRon View Post
I am a Caucasean male and my wife is African American. I lived all my life in Minnesota and my wife in Indiana and now Minnesota. We are strong Christians and are servant oriented in helping others in times of need. We are looking for the best place to live as an interracial couple, and as new empty nesters. Any location in the USA is open, just want to be totally accepted as to the life-style God has chosen for us. My wife has always dreamed of owning a house and we are very anxious to fulfill her dream which is ours, but are needing your help in finding the "ideal" community--rural or suburban.
I see you live in MN - do you live in the Twin Cities metro area, or are you outstate somewhere? Minneapolis and its suburbs are very friendly to interracial couples. If you're looking to buy a house you'd certainly be able to afford more there than you would in some of the other recommended places (DC/MD/VA for example - a great area, certainly, but not cheap). Or, if you do live in the Twin Cities now and don't think it's supportive enough, I'd seriously give careful consideration to any other places before moving (and spend some time there before making teh final decision) - the Twin Cities have a good reputation in this regard, and the grass isn't always greener somewhere else. That said, you will have many, many options to choose, especially with your parameters so broad. I'd think carefully about all the other things that will matter beyond just acceptance into the community - a specific type of church? Weather? Type of neighborhood? Home style? Cost of living? Nature? Proximity to cultural amenities? - and then do more research followed by some some initial scouting trips.

Old 02-04-2009, 03:28 PM

7 posts, read 21,702 times
I sit here thinking "Isn't everywhere fine with interracial couples" So, I think Portland, Oregon would be great for you. Most of the younger people here don't even see color.

Old 02-04-2009, 03:45 PM

341 posts, read 938,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezymoon View Post
I sit here thinking "Isn't everywhere fine with interracial couples" So, I think Portland, Oregon would be great for you. Most of the younger people here don't even see color.

You got that right, my ex-girlfriend was from Portland and she herself was the product of an interracial marriage, and when I went out there I noticed that a number of her friends were either products of interracial relationships or in one themselves

Old 03-20-2009, 04:52 PM

161 posts, read 381,768 times
Just on my block alone ( I live in Seattle) we have 3 couples who are black and white,one couple with an Asian lady and her husband and a lesbian couple.(I am one of those 3 couples btw) I'm starting to realize what I view as "normal" in my world is not in the rest of the country. Ive been looking for places to move lately and so far with the exception of maybe San Diego or Berkley,they don't seem to have all of the amenities that Seattle holds ( for me at least) If only I could change the weather.....

Old 04-05-2009, 03:44 PM

1 posts, read 4,401 times
i live in mississppi in its still racist but there are about 30% percent of couples who are in the interrricial dating thing and i dont think theres nun wrong with that....but from my own mouth i think that racism is tryingt to become calm.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:05 AM

1 posts, read 4,053 times
Whatever you do DON"T MOVE TO CHICAGO. It is THE most segregated city! We are on our way outta here!

Old 07-07-2009, 08:35 AM

41 posts, read 78,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamRon View Post
I am a Caucasean male and my wife is African American. I lived all my life in Minnesota and my wife in Indiana and now Minnesota. We are strong Christians and are servant oriented in helping others in times of need. We are looking for the best place to live as an interracial couple, and as new empty nesters. Any location in the USA is open, just want to be totally accepted as to the life-style God has chosen for us. My wife has always dreamed of owning a house and we are very anxious to fulfill her dream which is ours, but are needing your help in finding the "ideal" community--rural or suburban.
Surprisingly, you will do good in larger southern cities. You will also do fantastic in SF or NYC, assuming you make serious coin. I would suggest avoiding the midwest (Chicago excluded).

Old 07-07-2009, 08:50 AM

13,856 posts, read 13,997,303 times
Jacksonville, North Carolina and Lawton, Oklahoma seem fairly racially integrated going by the following. Some of the college cities in North Carolina I think are also pretty good with this.

CensusScope -- Segregation: Dissimilarity Indices

As you indicate you're Christians I'm thinking, guessing, it might work with that too as those are more religious areas of the country.

Old 09-04-2009, 04:55 PM

10,116 posts, read 5,513,126 times
I guess NY,DC and Oakland
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.